Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
no avatar
User

Tony G

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Jul 18, 2011 9:37 am

Louisville Ky 40214

Who has the best ribs in the area?

by Tony G » Wed Sep 24, 2014 9:55 am

Im originally from Memphis, Tn. Im used to some pretty good ribs. The last 2-3 years my job has taken me to St Louis, where I also found some pretty good ribs (but different than the Memphis ribs). I want to know who has the best ribs around here? Ive been kind of disappointed here. I LOVE full rack, smoked pork ribs. I was in Texas recently and had these HUGE beef ribs, did not like them that much. I guess being from Memphis makes me a pork guy! Give me some suggestions, I will try them out.
User

Jeff Cavanaugh

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Feb 11, 2011 11:49 am

Re: Who has the best ribs in the area?

by Jeff Cavanaugh » Wed Sep 24, 2014 10:39 am

Feast BBQ in New Albany has pretty good ribs. Momma's in St. Matthews are decent.

Stay away from Smoketown USA - mushy, nasty, gross boiled/steamed ribs. Yuck.
User

JustinHammond

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Jul 09, 2008 6:26 pm

Lyndon, KY 40222

by JustinHammond » Wed Sep 24, 2014 10:41 am

Beef Ribs at Momma's

Pork Ribs - FABD and Atypical Man
"The idea is to eat well and not die from it-for the simple reason that that would be the end of your eating." - Jim Harrison

https://www.facebook.com/Louisville-Eat ... 129849554/
User

Mark R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:02 pm

Anchorage, KY

by Mark R. » Wed Sep 24, 2014 11:03 am

JustinHammond wrote:Beef Ribs at Momma's

Pork Ribs - FABD and Atypical Man

I'll deftly second all three of these recommendations! Don't really like them at Feast, they just don't get it!
Written using Dragon NaturallySpeaking

"Life is short. Drink the good wine first"
User

TracyBasham

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Jul 28, 2014 12:58 pm

Brandenburg, Ky

by TracyBasham » Wed Sep 24, 2014 9:15 pm

Tony, I hope you find something in the area that reminds you of home. I haven't had any luck finding such, unfortunately. :(
Regardless of the location, one thing is always missing for us....the flavor. My husband and I prefer a good, flavorful rub on the ribs instead of a rack that's swimming in so much sauce that you need a paddle.
We've tried ribs everywhere and have finally come to the conclusion that if we want ribs, we'll head to Memphis, KC, or StL.

Whats your favorite place in Memphis?
no avatar
User

Iggy C

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Oct 10, 2011 9:33 am

by Iggy C » Thu Sep 25, 2014 7:31 am

For a while in 2013 there was a guy selling great pork ribs out of a parking lot on Dixie Highway. I even made a comment on Eater Louisville about it. Ah, memories.

But yeah, I really like Momma's beef ribs. Got to try Atypical Man someday.
User

Ed Vermillion

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 1:32 pm

38 degrees 25' 25' N 85 degrees 36' 2' W

by Ed Vermillion » Thu Sep 25, 2014 7:59 am

Big R's & Shannon's BBQ in LaGrange have some great ribs. They use a dry rub one them which is delicious. After you enjoy them you can wander right next door to Q&A Sweet Treats and launch yourself into sugar nirvana!
no avatar
User

Tony G

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Jul 18, 2011 9:37 am

Louisville Ky 40214

by Tony G » Thu Sep 25, 2014 1:47 pm

Tracy, I like Tops BBQ, been around down there forever....or Corkys. (warning, do NOT get the Corkys they sell in groceries)
no avatar
User

Margie L

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Sep 16, 2008 1:47 pm

by Margie L » Thu Sep 25, 2014 5:14 pm

There used to be a Corky's franchise in Lexington.
User

Ray Griffith

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Jun 26, 2010 10:39 pm

Highlands

by Ray Griffith » Fri Sep 26, 2014 4:25 pm

Jeff Cavanaugh wrote:Stay away from Smoketown USA - mushy, nasty, gross boiled/steamed ribs. Yuck.

This hasn't been my experience with their ribs. Their ribs are very good and they have never been mushy.....actually, the texture is quite nice.

Tony, I think you should keep Smoketown USA on your list of places to try for ribs.
no avatar
User

Holly Hill

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Mar 23, 2008 2:59 pm

by Holly Hill » Sun Sep 28, 2014 3:06 pm

Smoketown's ribs are my favorites. Aypical Man and Momma's ribs are too smokey for me. 942 Baxter also has good Q, but it's odd eating barbeque in what's basically a night club!
User

Jeff Cavanaugh

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Feb 11, 2011 11:49 am

by Jeff Cavanaugh » Mon Sep 29, 2014 11:24 am

Ray Griffith wrote:
Jeff Cavanaugh wrote:Stay away from Smoketown USA - mushy, nasty, gross boiled/steamed ribs. Yuck.

This hasn't been my experience with their ribs. Their ribs are very good and they have never been mushy.....actually, the texture is quite nice.

Tony, I think you should keep Smoketown USA on your list of places to try for ribs.

Maybe I got an overcooked batch. Though, if they aren't steaming them, I'm not sure how they could have gotten the texture I had. They certainly weren't tough like an over-smoked rack would be.
User

Manuel M

{ RANK }

Just got here

Mon Oct 10, 2011 3:24 am

by Manuel M » Mon Sep 29, 2014 3:13 pm

Jeff Cavanaugh wrote:
Ray Griffith wrote:

Maybe I got an overcooked batch. Though, if they aren't steaming them, I'm not sure how they could have gotten the texture I had. They certainly weren't tough like an over-smoked rack would be.

I'm going to have to agree with Jeff. We had the same experience at Smoketown USA. The ribs were pretty bad. But then, we were basically the only customers on a rainy weekday night. This was one of the reasons that I came up with the theory that you should stay away from BBQ places when they aren't busy.
User

Alexis Rich

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Jun 08, 2009 7:24 pm

by Alexis Rich » Tue Sep 30, 2014 5:49 am

There's a guy who smokes ribs on 13th and Broadway. No store or anything, just a couple of buddies and a smoker. Folks living west of 10th street tell me his ribs are great and you get a lot for your money. (I'm a vegetarian.)

Bring cash. I can't imagine he's set up for plastic.
no avatar
User

Iggy C

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Oct 10, 2011 9:33 am

by Iggy C » Tue Sep 30, 2014 7:12 am

I am going to have to check this out. Thanks for the tip!