Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
no avatar
User

Sanjay S

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Sep 16, 2007 11:30 am

Ballyhoo's - Grand Opening, Grand Closing?

by Sanjay S » Mon Dec 17, 2007 1:13 pm

Ballyhoo's is seemingly gone. And before anyone jumps on me for spreading an unfounded rumor, I was just out at the Penn Station on Bardstown Road and noticed that the picnic tables in front of Ballyhoo's were no longer there and all the lights were off. I looked in the windows and saw that all the tables and most of the decor is gone. There are a few chairs and other things scattered across the floor. The sign is still up out front and one trash box, but that's about it. The manager at the Penn Station next door confirmed that Ballyhoo's has closed. Their phone number hasn't been disconnected, but there's no answer when I tried to call (not even a recorded message). Although I didn't care for their food, they got decent reviews and the place looked nice so I'm a bit surprised they're gone so quickly (didn't even last as long as the Iching on Shelbyville Road). Anyone know what happened to them?
no avatar
User

Tina M

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Mar 03, 2007 3:21 pm

Highlands

by Tina M » Mon Dec 17, 2007 2:59 pm

That's a shame, but not terribly surprising. We liked it, but it seemed like there were rarely many customers. Maybe the location was too close to qdoba...
no avatar
User

Adrian Baldwin

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 3:29 pm

Louisville, KY

by Adrian Baldwin » Mon Dec 17, 2007 3:01 pm

Never understood the hype, myself. For pure taste, I actually even preferred Qdoba as far as burritos are concered.

For Fish Tacos, apparently a specialty, Bazo's blew them out of the water imo. Ballyhoo seemed a little heavy on the batter for me...

RIP
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Re: Ballyhoo's - Grand Opening, Grand Closing?

by Robin Garr » Mon Dec 17, 2007 4:04 pm

Sanjay S wrote:Ballyhoo's is seemingly gone. ... I'm a bit surprised they're gone so quickly (didn't even last as long as the Iching on Shelbyville Road). Anyone know what happened to them?

Just to set the record straight, Ballyhoo's opened in March, closed in December. I Ching opened in February, closed in October. Certainly similar life span, but Ballyhoo did last a little longer.

I, too, am sorry to see it go. I liked their fish tacos very much, thought them better (or more consistent) than Bazo's under current management, maybe not quite up to the original Bazo's. I can't give Qdoba the edge at all, although in fairness, I didn't go to Ballyhoo's for the burritos.
User

Beth K.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed May 23, 2007 2:18 pm

by Beth K. » Mon Dec 17, 2007 4:55 pm

I loved their salsa and hot sauce selections. What can I say? I'm a condiment kind of gal!
no avatar
User

Adrian Baldwin

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 3:29 pm

Louisville, KY

by Adrian Baldwin » Mon Dec 17, 2007 5:04 pm

^ Their salsas were pretty good indeed. I felt they may have been lacking a little up front and old world flavor, but overall I'd rate them a solid B+.