Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Sala Thai now in far SE Jefferson?

by Robin Garr » Thu Sep 18, 2014 12:42 pm

I had a note from a Thai-food loving reader who tells me that Sala Thai, which closed in Stony Brook a few years ago and then turned up in a couple of other places including a short-lived effort downtown, is now open way out Bardstown Road "nearly to Mount Washington."

Googling, it looks like 8125 Bardstown Road (231-1992), which is not quite all the way to the county line, but a bit beyond the Snyder anyway. The Facebook page dates to June 2012, so it looks like they've been around for a while, but not easy to find.
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sala-Tha ... 2088867556

I do love me some Thai and would travel for it. Have any of you been out there? Any report?
User

Jeff Cavanaugh

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Feb 11, 2011 11:49 am

Re: Sala Thai now in far SE Jefferson?

by Jeff Cavanaugh » Thu Sep 18, 2014 1:51 pm

Outside the Snyder? No, I haven't driven to Pluto for Thai food. :wink:
no avatar
User

Madeline Peters

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Sep 27, 2010 1:15 pm

St Matthews

by Madeline Peters » Thu Sep 18, 2014 2:03 pm

Without a doubt they were the best in Louisville. I did hate that location and we would rarely venture out there. Glad to see they are still in business.
no avatar
User

Richard S.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 1:47 pm

by Richard S. » Thu Sep 18, 2014 4:03 pm

That's odd, because that location has been there for several years. It's in the strip mall behind the Outback. We get carryout from there all the time. There was another Thai place in the same spot but that went away quite a while ago.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Thu Sep 18, 2014 4:21 pm

Richard S. wrote:That's odd, because that location has been there for several years. It's in the strip mall behind the Outback. We get carryout from there all the time. There was another Thai place in the same spot but that went away quite a while ago.

Is that the one on the left as you go out, Richard, at the entrance to a subdivision? I remember the original as being pretty good. The Google map wasn't clear which side of the road this was on, but I thought this looked a little farther south.
no avatar
User

Richard S.

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Richard S. » Thu Sep 18, 2014 10:43 pm

Exactly. The transition between the previous place was pretty quick; it may have been just a matter of days. The Sala Thai people are very nice. I told my wife this thread got me thinking about them so we'll order from there Saturday. There's also a Mexican place at the end of the complex that seems to get quite a bit of business but I've never been.
no avatar
User

PeteOsborne

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Sep 19, 2014 2:24 pm

by PeteOsborne » Fri Sep 19, 2014 2:26 pm

Been lurking for awhile (long enough to not remember my login and had to use my facebook login).

Anyway, Sala Thai has been there quite awhile: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=19554&p=146160&hilit=Fern+Creek+Thai#p146160

Things outside the Watterson are often forgotten. Things outside the Gene Snyder? forgettaboutit. :lol:
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Fri Sep 19, 2014 3:07 pm

PeteOsborne wrote:Been lurking for awhile (long enough to not remember my login and had to use my facebook login).

Anyway, Sala Thai has been there quite awhile: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=19554&p=146160&hilit=Fern+Creek+Thai#p146160

Things outside the Watterson are often forgotten. Things outside the Gene Snyder? forgettaboutit. :lol:

Welcome back, Pete! The Facebook login is just fine ... that's what it's for!

As for that distance thing, I used to feel the same way from my safe home base in Crescent Hill, until I got a job in the east end of the county within spitting distance of the Snyder. :oops:
User

Carla G

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:01 am

by Carla G » Thu Mar 24, 2016 1:45 pm

I'm going to be taking some lunch to a friend out in Fern Creek on Saturday. He requested fried rice. Is Sala Thai still out past 265? Is is now called True Thai? Has anyone been there? Could you recommend anywhere else in FC?
"She did not so much cook as assassinate food." - Storm Jameson
no avatar
User

Richard S.

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Richard S. » Thu Mar 24, 2016 4:44 pm

My reaction was also "they've been there for years." We get carryout all the time; the people are very nice. There was a Thai place in that spot prior to Sala Thai but I don't recall the name.

The Mexican place is moving to another spot in the same complex and their spot is being taken over by a Sicilian Pizza.

There's a Japanese place in the complex behind Mark's Feed Store that's supposed to be pretty good, but we won't go for fear of appearing disloyal to the people at Hunan Wok. The woman who runs the counter (open to close seven days a week) is a real sweetheart. She speaks only minimal English but has a nickname for pretty much every customer, and can recognize them by the sound of their voice.
no avatar
User

Terri Beam

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Feb 16, 2009 3:26 pm

by Terri Beam » Thu Mar 24, 2016 10:31 pm

The Japanese place behind Mark's is Kailana Sushi. It's one of my favorite sushi joints in town. Purists might squabble over how large the rolls are, but I like a lot of bang (or seafood) for my buck. They also have a decent hibachi grill without the sideshow antics. The people that work there are very personable too. One waiter always remembers what beverages my partner and I order (even weeks or months after our last visit), and sometimes even remembers which rolls we get (even though we change it up fairly often).

As much as I like the lady at Hunan Wok, I transferred loyalty to Double Dragon over by Kroger. It seemed like the last few times I got food at Hunan, everything was overwhelmingly garlicky, no matter what dish I ordered.

I like the food at Sala Thai, but for some reason I don't go there often. I'm more prone to Thai one on (I know, sue me) at Thai Noodles on Preston.

I'm looking forward to Sicilian moving in. While we already have Bearno's and Hometown Pizza, another Italian option is welcome.
User

Carla G

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:01 am

by Carla G » Mon Mar 28, 2016 6:17 am

Ended up going to the place in the same shopping center as Kroger.(Bardstown Rd in Fern Creek, Double Dragon II) It looked to be just another one of those "stand and order, quick-to-go" Chinese places with the same sort of tri-folded paper menu. I think I was one of the first patrons there in the AM. I ordered a ton of carry out - vegetable fried rice, spring rolls, crab Rangoon, mixed Chinese vegetables, vegetable noodles. Service was pretty fast. The nice lady at the counter told me I qualified for a free coke. "Oh! Ok!" I was thinking a can, she handed me a 2 liter. Never ever would we drink that much cola so she kindly traded it for a single can.

I found the quality to be good, the flavors very good and the portions generous. The place itself was glossy clean. Everything shined. On my way out the door I noticed a small sign that said, "WE MAKE OUR OWN HOT MUSTARD" Darn! I wished I'd seen it earlier but I was in a hurry so wasn't able to try any of it. I will go back next time I'm in the area. It was far superior to the "stand and order" places in my neck of the woods.
"She did not so much cook as assassinate food." - Storm Jameson
User

Steve Shade

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:53 am

by Steve Shade » Mon Mar 28, 2016 2:08 pm

Carla G wrote:Ended up going to the place in the same shopping center as Kroger.(Bardstown Rd in Fern Creek, Double Dragon II) It looked to be just another one of those "stand and order, quick-to-go" Chinese places with the same sort of tri-folded paper menu. I think I was one of the first patrons there in the AM. I ordered a ton of carry out - vegetable fried rice, spring rolls, crab Rangoon, mixed Chinese vegetables, vegetable noodles. Service was pretty fast. The nice lady at the counter told me I qualified for a free coke. "Oh! Ok!" I was thinking a can, she handed me a 2 liter. Never ever would we drink that much cola so she kindly traded it for a single can.

I found the quality to be good, the flavors very good and the portions generous. The place itself was glossy clean. Everything shined. On my way out the door I noticed a small sign that said, "WE MAKE OUR OWN HOT MUSTARD" Darn! I wished I'd seen it earlier but I was in a hurry so wasn't able to try any of it. I will go back next time I'm in the area. It was far superior to the "stand and order" places in my neck of the woods.

We have ordered here a few times. I agree with everything that Carla said. Never had a problem.
"Don't accept your dog's admiration as
conclusive evidence that you are wonderful."
-- Ann Landers