Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
no avatar
User

Adrian Baldwin

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 3:29 pm

Louisville, KY

by Adrian Baldwin » Mon Dec 17, 2007 2:25 pm

Ummm, okay. I could see your point if we were talking Panini or French Bistro cuisine or something...

Not sure how Europe suddenly factors into a conversation on regular ole' Deli Sandwiches (Like the Turkey on Wheat I referenced)...

This may be a shocker -----> but it just so happens that I grew up in the 'midwestern United States', (not Europe) so I suppose those are the flavors I typically look for in my lunch sambo at 'Mom & Pops Deli' as opposed those from the Old World. :D
User

Ron Johnson

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:48 am

by Ron Johnson » Mon Dec 17, 2007 2:29 pm

Adrian Baldwin wrote:I love Boar's Head deli products.

I don't normally look for "up front & Old world" flavors when I'm enjoying a good deli sandwich......whatever in the hell that is supposed to mean. :?

I think it means cold cuts that don't taste like chemicals. Volpe makes the best salami, pepperoni, mortadella, and sorpressata that I've ever had from a large-scale producer. Other good quality producers include Usingers and Schaller & Weber.

Boars Head is fine, and I like a deli sandwich made with their products, but to be honest, I am not sure I could tell the difference between Boars Head and Oscar Meyer.
User

Ron Johnson

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Ron Johnson » Mon Dec 17, 2007 2:30 pm

Adrian Baldwin wrote:Ummm, okay. I could see your point if we were talking Panini or French Bistro cuisine or something...

Not sure how Europe suddenly factors into a conversation on regular ole' Deli Sandwiches (Like the Turkey on Wheat I referenced)...

This may be a shocker -----> but it just so happens that I grew up in the 'midwestern United States', (not Europe) so I suppose those are the flavors I typically look for in my lunch sambo at 'Mom & Pops Deli' as opposed those from the Old World. :D

It's only deli meat.
no avatar
User

Adrian Baldwin

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 3:29 pm

Louisville, KY

by Adrian Baldwin » Mon Dec 17, 2007 2:42 pm

^ exactly.
no avatar
User

anthonys

{ RANK }

Just got here

Mon Mar 05, 2007 2:00 pm

Louisville

by anthonys » Mon Dec 17, 2007 2:46 pm

I don't have a well refined palette or anything but surely you can tell the difference from Boars Head Black Forrest Turkey :arrow: Oscar Meyer oven roasted turkey in those black resealable boxes.

Sounds like I need to give Volpe a try. Anyone know a deli in LEX that sells it? If not I can probably get some next time I am back home.
no avatar
User

Andrew Mellman

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:33 am

Louisville

by Andrew Mellman » Mon Dec 17, 2007 5:58 pm

Boar's Head is OK, but have to watch what you buy. For example, Boar's Head Black Forest Ham is vastly different from the Boar's Head Honey Ham . . . the former tastes like a good quality ham, while the latter is indistinguishable (for me) from Kroger's, Meijers, whatever.

For Jewish-style deli, I still have to go with Vienna Beef . . . their corned beef, pastrami, turkey, et al beat everyone.

One final note: it's really what you were brought up on, in my opinion. If you're used to Kroger brand smoked ham, and were brought up on it, you'll likely prefer it to any alternative!
Andrew Mellman
User

Ron Johnson

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Ron Johnson » Tue Dec 18, 2007 8:49 am

andrew mellman wrote:For Jewish-style deli, I still have to go with Vienna Beef . . . their corned beef, pastrami, turkey, et al beat everyone.

That's a good point. Volpi doesn't make any of those. They are strictly an old school all Italian salumeria. If you go to St. Louis, you can visit the small operation that still churns out all of their products on The Hill.
no avatar
User

Sonja W

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:00 pm

by Sonja W » Wed Dec 19, 2007 12:53 am

Adrian Baldwin wrote:Ummm, okay. I could see your point if we were talking Panini or French Bistro cuisine or something...

Europe does factor in, in that the first U.S. delicatessens were established by European Jews, Italians and Germans ("Delicatessen", in German, means "delicate", i.e. "fine" foods.) All of which have a continuing tradition in creating the cured meats served on their sandwiches. These offerings have formed the tastes and expectations of a lot of people, and they are still provided by traditional delis in many cities.

Don't tell me you can't taste the difference between Oscar Meyer and a Kentucky smoked ham. That's the difference I mean, only it extends to liverwurst, mortadella, pastrami, etc.

It's not "just" deli meat. Cold cuts matter!
User

Ron Johnson

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Ron Johnson » Wed Dec 19, 2007 10:36 am

Nice post Sonja. My comment about 'just deli meat' was more of an attempt to tone downt the rhetoric rather than short the wonderful world of cured meats!

Europe does play very much into it. Afterall "baloney" is named for Bologna, the city in Italy that is the home of mortadella. Once you've had great deli meats, there's no going back.
User

Beth K.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed May 23, 2007 2:18 pm

by Beth K. » Wed Dec 19, 2007 12:01 pm

In my brain: "Cold Cuts Matter"; "Passion of the Cold Cuts"; "Tuesdays with Cold Cuts"; "Cold Cuts, Live on Ice!"; "Citizen Cold Cut", "Return of the Cold Cuts: This time it's personal";

I think that deli sandwiches are better because they often have their mayo in a big squeeze jar and just pour it on, whereas I at least try to pretend that I'm going easy on the mayo. Mmmmmm, mayo. Also, it is better when someone else makes it for you, I agree.
User

Mark Head

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Oct 28, 2007 10:44 pm

Prospect

by Mark Head » Wed Dec 19, 2007 5:58 pm

Sometimes it's the bread - and the fact that someone else made it.
no avatar
User

Jacki Smith

{ RANK }

Just got here

Fri Mar 02, 2007 7:30 pm

by Jacki Smith » Wed Dec 19, 2007 8:20 pm

I totally agree that a sandwich someone else makes is usually better. The one exception is when my husband and I make an event out of sandwich making. We go out and buy all the fixing and then build the sandwiches together.

As far as places to go, Frank's on Preston Hwy makes great sandwiches and they're HUGE.
User

Jay M.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 10:09 pm

by Jay M. » Wed Dec 19, 2007 8:23 pm

Jacki Smith wrote:...As far as places to go, Frank's on Preston Hwy makes great sandwiches and they're HUGE.

Wow! I'd forgotten about Frank's. I was introduced to it on this forum, and you're right - they make a huge sandwich.
no avatar
User

John Lisherness

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Mar 03, 2007 11:25 pm

The Highlands

by John Lisherness » Wed Dec 19, 2007 10:15 pm

This topic has morphed into two threads.
Sandwiches from elsewhere..
or
A sandwich (for you) made by someone other than yourself..

I have a long held belief that no matter what the ingredients are, a sandwich made by someone for you tastes better than if you made it for yourself.
I have tested this theory over the years and the overwhelming evidence points to the fact that someone else making it for you makes it taste better!
Go figure.
User

Jay M.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 10:09 pm

by Jay M. » Wed Dec 19, 2007 10:23 pm

John Lisherness wrote:This topic has morphed into two threads.
Sandwiches from elsewhere.

Morphing it again: Didn't you write the "The Best" column in The Scene this past weekend? I was going to post a link but I couldn't find it in the on-line version. If so, congratulations!
Previous