Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

some changes in the NE burbs

no avatar
User

Andrew Mellman

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:33 am

Louisville

some changes in the NE burbs

by Andrew Mellman » Wed Sep 17, 2014 11:52 am

1. Chocolate Bar in Westport Village is closed. Doors locked & sign on door thanking people for their patronage.

2. In Prospect, next to Hanabi and Bistro 42 is a new Chinese restaurant (with a few Vietnamese dishes) called L&J Cafe. It opened this past Monday. Website is http://www.ljcafeprospect.com/default.aspx
Andrew Mellman
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Re: some changes in the NE burbs

by Robin Garr » Wed Sep 17, 2014 12:17 pm

Andrew Mellman wrote:1. Chocolate Bar in Westport Village is closed. Doors locked & sign on door thanking people for their patronage.

Is that the Chocolate Martini Bar? We had friends who live nearby check it out early, and based on their meh meh meh report never got around to it. That said, any closing is sad.

2. In Prospect, next to Hanabi and Bistro 42 is a new Chinese restaurant (with a few Vietnamese dishes) called L&J Cafe. It opened this past Monday. Website is http://www.ljcafeprospect.com/default.aspx

Looks interesting, attractive website, although the mix of Chinese, Korean, Japanese and Vietnamese flavors makes me a little wary. In my experience, when they try to do several, they generally don't stand out on any. I wonder what ethnic heritage the owners bring to the table.
User

Mark R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:02 pm

Anchorage, KY

by Mark R. » Wed Sep 17, 2014 12:18 pm

We went by the chocolate bar the other day and I noticed the sign was down so I wondered what was going on. We've only been there once and weren't overly impressed, they had to lose any restaurant but in this case I don't feel it was a significant loss.
Written using Dragon NaturallySpeaking

"Life is short. Drink the good wine first"
no avatar
User

Andrew Mellman

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:33 am

Louisville

by Andrew Mellman » Wed Sep 17, 2014 1:00 pm

Robin Garr wrote:
Andrew Mellman wrote:1. Chocolate Bar in Westport Village is closed. Doors locked & sign on door thanking people for their patronage.

Is that the Chocolate Martini Bar? We had friends who live nearby check it out early, and based on their meh meh meh report never got around to it. That said, any closing is sad.

Looks interesting, attractive website, although the mix of Chinese, Korean, Japanese and Vietnamese flavors makes me a little wary. In my experience, when they try to do several, they generally don't stand out on any. I wonder what ethnic heritage the owners bring to the table.

Yes, the real name was "Chocolate Martini Bar." We thought it overpriced throughout, and the chocolate desserts/dishes to be nothing spectacular.

Don't know any more about L&J Cafe. While the majority of the menu is Chinese, the fact that the Vietnamese items are listed with authentic names sort of hint that the owners may be Vietnamese??? Anyways, it's a small place, and it appears to be set up for carry out with on-line ordering; I know Hanabi two doors down has good sushi, but their in-house business appears to pale compared to the stream of carry out. Maybe L&J learned from them!
Andrew Mellman
no avatar
User

Ned A

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Mar 31, 2010 12:32 am

Irish Hill

by Ned A » Sun Sep 21, 2014 9:26 am

The Chocolate Martini Bar has actually been closed for at least a month maybe more like two now. It was about the quietest restaurant closing I have ever seen, which may also say something about who/how many Louisvillians were actually paying serious attention to it. Being over here in Westport Village, it was actually about 2 weeks before even I knew that it was closed. Hate to see people out of jobs though, so I hope everyone found work elsewhere.
On-Premise Sales
Southern Wine & Spirits
no avatar
User

Terry G

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Aug 12, 2010 12:46 pm

by Terry G » Mon Sep 22, 2014 11:41 am

Nicely said. I have been to WV numerous times and always lunch with Napa. Was aware of Chocalate but not to the point of opening their door. Not a chocalate person.