Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
no avatar
User

Jason H

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Oct 10, 2011 2:01 pm

Lost Baby D's is Papalinos next?

by Jason H » Mon Sep 15, 2014 4:29 pm

I was saddened by the loss of Baby D's recently. It was a great spot to pick up a great bagel sandwich. Especially for breakfast and especially when you didn't want to wait for a sit down meal. I felt like business had been lacking the past 6 months. I guess I kind of saw it coming.

Now I fear Papalinos, at least the Highlands location may be coming to an end. I know one of the main proprietors left for a new venture with Cena Italian, but when I stopped by the Highlands location during the Highlands festival it looked scary. They used to set up a beer stand out front. This year, none! So my girlfriend and I went inside for a slice and a beer, but no beer anywhere. No way, they were all about beer and pizza before.

Too me that is a sign, no beer. Look I personally have felt that Papalinos is the best Pizza in Louisville as I only like N.Y. style and they are the most authentic in my opinion. Please friends of hotbytes tell me I am not losing the Papalinos in the Highlands.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Re: Lost Baby D's is Papalinos next?

by Robin Garr » Mon Sep 15, 2014 4:51 pm

I hate to hear both of those things, Jason.

Papalino's was outstanding when it opened. I felt it had slipped over the last year or so, though, becoming increasingly inconsistent. We had a pizza delivered a while back that was just lame. I was more impressed with the Springhurst edition, though, and wondered if they were focusing more attention out there. With Chef Allan leaving, who knows? I know the folks who stayed were committed to making it work, but change can be challenging in this business of narrow margins and abundant competition.
User

Mark R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:02 pm

Anchorage, KY

by Mark R. » Mon Sep 15, 2014 6:11 pm

We haven't eaten at the Springhurst location (or the Bardstown Road one actually) recently but I can tell you that every time we've been by the one in Springhurst it's been empty or practically so. It never has had many people since first opening so based on the OP I don't see a good future for either of the restaurants.
Written using Dragon NaturallySpeaking

"Life is short. Drink the good wine first"
User

Doug Davis

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Dec 03, 2011 10:05 pm

The Highlands

by Doug Davis » Mon Sep 15, 2014 6:55 pm

Jason H wrote:Too me that is a sign, no beer.

Yep it means distributors arent being paid.
I know when I went in the former Zaytun's one night and they were out of "all" wines, I knew they would be closed in days.
I eat, therefore I am.
User

RonnieD

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Aug 23, 2007 12:09 pm

The rolling acres of Henry County

by RonnieD » Mon Sep 15, 2014 9:01 pm

With Mellow Mushroom coming in next to Wild and Woolly, it might be the death knell for Papalino's.

Shocked to hear about Baby D's. I hadn't noticed they closed. Seems like they've been there forever. Toughish spot on the end of that wing.
Ronnie Dingman
Chef Consultant
The Farm
La Center, KY
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Mon Sep 15, 2014 9:14 pm

RonnieD wrote:Shocked to hear about Baby D's. I hadn't noticed they closed. Seems like they've been there forever.

This might surprise you, but they've only been there three years, since September 2011.
http://www.louisvillehotbytes.com/want- ... %E2%80%99s

That said, I'm surprised, too. I drove by there within the past couple of weeks and there were people sitting out front. And they've always been reasonably crowded when I went in.

I wish I had supported them more. They had about the only really decent bagel in this town, where the influence of Nancy's seems to have caused people to forget what a bagel is. :roll:
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Mon Sep 15, 2014 9:16 pm

Robin Garr wrote:They had about the only really decent bagel in this town

Wait, I just remembered Bruegger's. Theirs isn't really a NYC bagel clone, but better than most. Has anyone been there lately?
User

Mark R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Anchorage, KY

by Mark R. » Mon Sep 15, 2014 9:37 pm

Robin Garr wrote:
Robin Garr wrote:They had about the only really decent bagel in this town

Wait, I just remembered Bruegger's. Theirs isn't really a NYC bagel clone, but better than most. Has anyone been there lately?

They are still probably the best in town but given the competition that really is the saying a whole lot! They really haven't gotten any better nor any worse since they opened the store in St. Matthews.

User

Jackie R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Mar 06, 2007 3:48 pm

Highlands

by Jackie R. » Mon Sep 15, 2014 10:39 pm

Robin Garr wrote:They had about the only really decent bagel in this town, where the influence of Nancy's seems to have caused people to forget what a bagel is. :roll:

*Summons Jackie*

Quit raggin' on Nancy's! You know she makes my favorite bagel in town, Food Dad! ~~ :P
User

Steve H

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Apr 17, 2008 12:27 pm

Neanderthals rock!

by Steve H » Mon Sep 15, 2014 10:53 pm

Jackie R. wrote:
Robin Garr wrote:They had about the only really decent bagel in this town, where the influence of Nancy's seems to have caused people to forget what a bagel is. :roll:

*Summons Jackie*

Quit raggin' on Nancy's! You know she makes my favorite bagel in town, Food Dad! ~~ :P

Jackie's back!
:shock:
And she's not happy!
:lol:
User

Mark R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Anchorage, KY

by Mark R. » Mon Sep 15, 2014 11:29 pm

Jackie R. wrote:

*Summons Jackie*

Welcome back Jackie! You may well like the bagels from Nancy's but those of us who really have had good New York bagels don't think much of them. It's just based on where you've been and what you've had!

User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Tue Sep 16, 2014 6:54 am

Jackie R. wrote:*Summons Jackie*

Jackie! I'm just going to be glad you're back, and not even argue about b- b- bagels! :mrgreen:
User

Ron H

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Aug 26, 2011 12:10 pm

by Ron H » Tue Sep 16, 2014 8:22 am

Maybe they just exhausted their beer supply? I mean, I eat more Spinelli's these days when I want good pizza (or Bearno's when my family is buying), but losing Papalino's entirely would be really sad, considering how great the place was when it launched.
"I like rice. Rice is great if you're hungry and want 2000 of something." - Mitch Hedberg
User

RonnieD

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Aug 23, 2007 12:09 pm

The rolling acres of Henry County

by RonnieD » Tue Sep 16, 2014 12:38 pm

Robin Garr wrote:This might surprise you, but they've only been there three years, since September 2011.

Ha. I've walked by the shop every week for 3 years, so I guess overexposure makes it seem like longer. :oops:
Ronnie Dingman
Chef Consultant
The Farm
La Center, KY
no avatar
User

Adam Robinson

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Aug 23, 2010 8:39 pm

by Adam Robinson » Tue Sep 16, 2014 2:13 pm

RonnieD wrote:With Mellow Mushroom coming in next to Wild and Woolly, it might be the death knell for Papalino's.

Hell, putting a Dominos beside it would be as likely a death knell. Don't know what happened to them as it's clear they used to be really good from what everyone says, but I tried again recently to make sure my first visit wasn't some major anomaly, and it was even worse. No way in hell I'm paying premium prices for what tastes like bread dropped in bearing grease. It's one of the nastiest pizzas I've had in a long time, and I'm all in on pretty much any pizza dive bar you can find. Could there just be staff issues? There is no quality of ingredients that can make something that bad -- frozen off-brand pizzas taste better. It has to be the people making it. And it has to be particular people and not all, because some people are still having good experiences (well, that or they burned their taste buds off in an accident).

For what it's worth, made pizzas for quite a few months back in the day at a place with really low quality ingredients, not speaking off my butt.
Next