Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
no avatar
User

Steve Kluesner

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Jul 28, 2007 2:37 pm

So. Indiana

Re: LMPD raid/shut down Bardstown Rd bar

by Steve Kluesner » Tue Sep 16, 2014 11:29 am

Getting back to the cash thing, if you are doing no wrong, then it should be easy to prove the cash is yours. How often does this happen? I know people that carry a minimum of $2000 with them at all times....and have more at their homes. Never met anyone in which law enforcement stole money from them. If I was a drug dealer, I would probably tell the cop I was going to get some dental work done, probably some caps being put on.
no avatar
User

Steve Kluesner

{ RANK }

Foodie

So. Indiana

by Steve Kluesner » Tue Sep 16, 2014 11:29 am

Might be legal....but somewhat unwise....in my opinion.
no avatar
User

Steve Kluesner

{ RANK }

Foodie

So. Indiana

by Steve Kluesner » Tue Sep 16, 2014 11:31 am

Steve H wrote:
Steve Kluesner wrote:Why would I take a large amount of cash somewhere other than where it needed to go, especially a bar?

Maybe because it's legal? Besides, if you read the article, most of these people have the cash taken during traffic stops when they are just driving to "where it needed to go".

Laughable.....I did not realize this is such a big thing. I can honestly say, I have never known anyone that had cash confiscated from them. I do know a few that have been robbed or burglarized.
no avatar
User

Adriel Gray

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Aug 31, 2012 2:53 pm

Louisville Slugger

by Adriel Gray » Tue Sep 16, 2014 11:41 am

Steve Kluesner wrote:So what is the answer? I just feel if we start giving everyone what they feel is their "right" then we will become a lawless society.

I respect everyone's opinion, but I can't believe most people are not more willing to sacrifice some "rights" for the greater good.

Rights of individuals are the greater good my friend. Always. Individuals compromise a society. They are the smallest unit of civilization. Think of them as a microcosm of the whole. If you don't protect their rights, then you can't have a society. Laws don't need to exist that don't respect the rights of individuals because those laws would be unjust.
no avatar
User

Adriel Gray

{ RANK }

Foodie

Louisville Slugger

by Adriel Gray » Tue Sep 16, 2014 11:44 am

Steve Kluesner wrote:
Steve H wrote:
Steve Kluesner wrote:Why would I take a large amount of cash somewhere other than where it needed to go, especially a bar?

Maybe because it's legal? Besides, if you read the article, most of these people have the cash taken during traffic stops when they are just driving to "where it needed to go".

Laughable.....I did not realize this is such a big thing. I can honestly say, I have never known anyone that had cash confiscated from them. I do know a few that have been robbed or burglarized.

Civil Asset Forfeiture is a real thing. And there are plenty who are upset about it. And many consider it unjust.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/georgeleef/ ... -jim-crow/
no avatar
User

Steve H

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Apr 17, 2008 12:27 pm

Neanderthals rock!

by Steve H » Tue Sep 16, 2014 11:45 am

Steve Kluesner wrote:
Steve H wrote:

The problem with the war on drugs is that it incentivizes police departments and agencies to confiscate money from people whether they are guilty or not. The police can't 'earn' extra money by investigating robberies and burglaries or protecting against them. They can earn extra money by confiscating cash from people, guilty or not.

You don't know any of the people who get victimized by this because you have access to credit and have a bank account. Many folks don't earn enough money to acquire a credit card, or to accumulate enough of a balance to avoid onerous banking fees associated with a checking account.

These folks are forced to carry and pay cash for things, and as such are the main victims of this police abuse. Their poverty makes it difficult to hire an attorney in order to get their property back. So your protestations aside, there are plenty of reasons for not consenting to a search even if you are perfectly innocent.
no avatar
User

Steve Kluesner

{ RANK }

Foodie

So. Indiana

by Steve Kluesner » Tue Sep 16, 2014 11:55 am

Let's start a discussion on imminent domain rights while we are at it.

I am not going to argue with anyone. I am just stating what I believe my rights are and I understand you have the right to your opinion as well.....but we will all need to compromise sometime.

Our country is being divided (for a long time now really) and there is little discussion on what we can do about it. People believe what they believe and they don't want to listen to the other side of the story.

I am hungry...can anyone recommend a good burger joint downtown?
no avatar
User

Adriel Gray

{ RANK }

Foodie

Louisville Slugger

by Adriel Gray » Tue Sep 16, 2014 12:00 pm

Steve Kluesner wrote:I am hungry...can anyone recommend a good burger joint downtown?

https://www.facebook.com/louisvillegrind :D

Just let me know when you're ready to talk about imminent domain and rights. :mrgreen:
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Tue Sep 16, 2014 12:02 pm

Althought it's not quite walking distance from downtown, I'll testify.

Bluegrass Burgers on Frankfort Avenue near Cannons Lane is also worthy, but not downtown. Bunz on Baxter at Highland? Still good?

There's got to be a great burger downtown, though.
no avatar
User

Steve Kluesner

{ RANK }

Foodie

So. Indiana

by Steve Kluesner » Tue Sep 16, 2014 12:04 pm

Bluegrass is my go to burger when I cross the river.....Bunz is good as well....

Really want to try The Grind.......
no avatar
User

Steve Kluesner

{ RANK }

Foodie

So. Indiana

by Steve Kluesner » Tue Sep 16, 2014 12:04 pm

Adriel Gray wrote:
Steve Kluesner wrote:I am hungry...can anyone recommend a good burger joint downtown?

https://www.facebook.com/louisvillegrind :D

Just let me know when you're ready to talk about imminent domain and rights. :mrgreen:

Let me drink a few cocktails before we get started on ID......lol
no avatar
User

Steve H

{ RANK }

Foodie

Neanderthals rock!

by Steve H » Tue Sep 16, 2014 12:09 pm

Steve Kluesner wrote:Our country is being divided (for a long time now really) and there is little discussion on what we can do about it. People believe what they believe and they don't want to listen to the other side of the story.

This might be true for some people, but I *have* changed my mind about a lot of things based on arguments just like this. It's probably fair to say that what changed my mind was reading them, not participating in them. So based on my personal journey, your mind might not be changed, but maybe I can plant the seeds of new ideas in some readers' minds. And who knows what flowers might bloom from that?
no avatar
User

Adriel Gray

{ RANK }

Foodie

Louisville Slugger

by Adriel Gray » Tue Sep 16, 2014 12:11 pm

Steve Kluesner wrote:Let me drink a few cocktails before we get started on ID......lol

For sure!

Bluegrass Burgers is awesome. Must concur! Love those sweet potato fries!
no avatar
User

Steve Kluesner

{ RANK }

Foodie

So. Indiana

by Steve Kluesner » Tue Sep 16, 2014 1:36 pm

Steve H wrote:
Steve Kluesner wrote:Our country is being divided (for a long time now really) and there is little discussion on what we can do about it. People believe what they believe and they don't want to listen to the other side of the story.

This might be true for some people, but I *have* changed my mind about a lot of things based on arguments just like this. It's probably fair to say that what changed my mind was reading them, not participating in them. So based on my personal journey, your mind might not be changed, but maybe I can plant the seeds of new ideas in some readers' minds. And who knows what flowers might bloom from that?

I have an open mind.....but you say this is not the case for "some" people.....Do you have a different government than I do? Our political system is growing further and further apart, while that is a broad statement, I believe it to be true. I have debates/arguments with people for this vary reason...they are one side or the other and no compromise. I have lots of ideas but getting those ideas to go through the system is impossible. I do what I can. I like to listen and read as well.

I just take anything said in forums as "opinion" and I don't try to push my beliefs on others....other than saying which restaurant has the best calamari.

If I sound if I am pushing my belief I am sorry.....I do try to get people to explain themselves....and I don't ever try to sound so smart that I can't talk to someone about a subject.
no avatar
User

Steve H

{ RANK }

Foodie

Neanderthals rock!

by Steve H » Tue Sep 16, 2014 1:46 pm

Steve Kluesner wrote:
Steve H wrote:

I have an open mind.....but you say this is not the case for "some" people.....Do you have a different government than I do? Our political system is growing further and further apart, while that is a broad statement, I believe it to be true. I have debates/arguments with people for this vary reason...they are one side or the other and no compromise. I have lots of ideas but getting those ideas to go through the system is impossible. I do what I can. I like to listen and read as well.

I just take anything said in forums as "opinion" and I don't try to push my beliefs on others....other than saying which restaurant has the best calamari.

If I sound if I am pushing my belief I am sorry.....I do try to get people to explain themselves....and I don't ever try to sound so smart that I can't talk to someone about a subject.

I did not mean to leave you with the impression that you are being pushy or trying to sound smart. I apologize if I have done so. As far as I'm concerned. we are just having a conversation.

I must confess though, I am glad you don't run a police department!
:shock:
:mrgreen:
:oops:
PreviousNext