Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Voice-Tribune/HotBytes review: The Ville Taqueria

by Robin Garr » Thu Sep 11, 2014 9:14 am

Ville Taqueria brings St. Matthews an alternative to pizza
Voice-Tribune review by Robin Garr

Everyone likes Mexican food, don't we? But what do we mean when we say "Mexican"?

If our grandparents in Louisville knew Mexican food at all, they probably meant chili con carne, a spicy mix of beans and beef served over spaghetti.

Then in the '70s came Tumbleweed, with its simple take on Tex-Mex. Por Que No had a brief run with slightly more upscale fare before it gave way to Jack Fry's. Chico's in Hikes Point tantalized us with authentic New Mexico cuisine. Chains like Chi-Chi's soon followed.

But then, starting in the '90s, a growing Latino population expanded our horizons. Immigrant families grew local chains, Los Aztecas, El Nopalito, El Torasco and El Caporal. Others built tiny taquerias. El Mundo came with chef-driven delights and became a Frankfort Avenue landmark.

A few fine Latino chefs broke into the general restaurant population, like Bruce Ucan's Mayan Cafe, Anthony Lamas' Seviche, and Fernando and Cristina Martinez' Guaca Mole and, more recently, El Taco Luchador. NuLu has its own taqueria, the one-of-a-kind Taco Punk.

And now, the taqueria concept reaches for a new level as chef Fabian Garcia, son of the owners of El Caporal, has opened a lovable, accessible taqueria in the heart of St. Matthews.

The Ville Taqueria, in a small, brightly renovated building that previously housed Carolina Seafood, has been drawing crowds since it opened at the end of July. Not only is it one of the few eateries in the St Matthews zone that stays open late but does not serve pizza; but more important, it offers tasty real-Mexican fare that has ranged from very good to "OMG, this is the best Mexican food I ever ate." ...

Read my full review on LouisvilleHotBytes.com:
http://www.louisvillehotbytes.com/ville ... e-to-pizza
and in the Voice-Tribune:
http://www.voice-tribune.com/life-style ... -to-pizza/

The Ville Taqueria
3922 Westport Road
721-8226
http://TheVilleTaqueria.com
https://facebook.com/TheVilleSt.Matthews
Robin Garr's rating: 88 points
no avatar
User

Linda C

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 08, 2007 8:38 pm

Re: Voice-Tribune/HotBytes review: The Ville Taqueria

by Linda C » Thu Sep 11, 2014 11:49 pm

Thanks for giving them a boost. I've been twice now. The burrito was big enough to last me for two meals! I wish you had mentioned the Queso Verde. It is completely addictive. This place is so good, the food so fresh and well prepared. The salsas are better than Rick Bayless's concoctions at Frontera in Chicago. Been there many, many times.
User

Mary Anne

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:31 am

Louisville: Highlands

by Mary Anne » Tue Mar 17, 2015 1:17 pm

Sometimes we have so many good choices I neglect my old favorites. Not today. The Ville Taqueria is just getting better and better as time goes on. Fabian is about to start selling the queso verde and the salsas in bulk. Yay! I was lucky enough to get a preview package to go. The arbol agave salsa should be illegal it is so addictive...and now I can wallow in it at home. :D I got there before the lunch rush and he graciously allowed me to order an elotes/skirt steak quesadilla on a corn masa tortilla. Not on the menu, but oh my goodness. Just in case they have slipped off your radar, zero back in. He isn't playing. This is some seriously good food at a great price.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Tue Mar 17, 2015 1:25 pm

Love that place, and Fabian is the most amiable of hosts!
no avatar
User

Jason G

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Aug 04, 2008 1:18 pm

by Jason G » Tue Mar 17, 2015 9:21 pm

Been three times and will keep returning. Love this place. The street tacos are awesome for $3.50 each.

I do have one complaint...they keep the salsas behind the margarita machines and they blow warm exhaust onto the salsa bottles which makes the salsa kind of warm. I wish they would move the machines or the salsa.
no avatar
User

Linda C

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 08, 2007 8:38 pm

by Linda C » Wed Mar 18, 2015 2:40 pm

Another cool thing Fabian does is reward you with a free queso after you check in four times. They also text you with specials such dollar off burrito,etc. love the place!