Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

CJ does St Charles Exchange

User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

CJ does St Charles Exchange

by Robin Garr » Thu Sep 11, 2014 8:27 am

Nancy gives St Charles Exchange 3 stars, although if she were rating the bar alone, I think she would have given it 4. She seems to be finding her voice, except perhaps for her dogged focus on judging decor and rarely finding it to her liking. What say you about today's review?
http://www.courier-journal.com/story/en ... /15399221/
no avatar
User

Alanna H

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 8:11 pm

Colorado Springs

Re: CJ does St Charles Exchange

by Alanna H » Thu Sep 11, 2014 8:52 am

Well, it looks like I've used up my free article quota for the month on CJ.com. Did I miss anything good in her review?
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Thu Sep 11, 2014 9:12 am

Alanna H wrote:Well, it looks like I've used up my free article quota for the month on CJ.com. Did I miss anything good in her review?

She loves the bar, likes the dining room except that its decor is not up to her standard, loved her server, and likes the food, mostly, except for the pork chop, although she didn't exactly explain what was wrong with it except that "it just showed up."
no avatar
User

Kevin Monsour

{ RANK }

Just got here

Mon Oct 10, 2011 1:19 am

by Kevin Monsour » Thu Sep 11, 2014 9:50 am

She needs to develop a new rating system, or nail it down little more closely. I've always thought "out of 4 stars" was too limiting, but she's taking it to painful levels in her short time.

Based on her reviews, an out of towner who was old-fashioned enough to go to the "newspaper of record" for food decisions would learn that:

3.5 stars: Palermo & Varanese
3 stars: St. Charles Exchange, the BRISTOL, El Mariachi, and Cafe Lou Lou
2 stars: Amici Cafe

Those ratings tell me NOTHING about the Louisville food scene. Also, it feels like she is playing catch-up with some of these early reviews. Maybe there's a budgeting issue at the CJ, but it seems to be that the bulk of her reviews should be at hot, trending newer restaurants that people haven't been to before. I like Cafe Lou Lou & Palermo, and I have an opinion about the Bristol, but most Louisvillians have already decided those where those restaurants fit. Also, for someone so committed to decor, I still have no clue WHICH Cafe Lou Lou she ate at on her two visits.
User

RonnieD

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Aug 23, 2007 12:09 pm

The rolling acres of Henry County

by RonnieD » Thu Sep 11, 2014 11:52 am

Solid review. I didn't see as much of an imbalance in the review (but you know I'm like that when it comes to reviewing more than just the food).

I agree that I would like to see more reviews on new restaurants than established favorites. Were it I, I would review 3 restaurants per month that have been open less than a year (at least one of those that has just opened), and save the fourth for a visit to an established restaurant. Seems like a reasonable balance.
Ronnie Dingman
Chef Consultant
The Farm
La Center, KY
User

Mark R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:02 pm

Anchorage, KY

by Mark R. » Thu Sep 11, 2014 12:17 pm

It actually sounds like the restaurant only end up with a three star rating because of the bar. She didn't speak very highly of any of the food items except the appetizer. She said the pork chop lacked flavor and was only decent because of the toppings and that the other dish was to heavily breaded although still acceptable. She also sent the presentation of the grits wasn't appealing although the grits themselves were good. I'm still having a hard time getting a handle on how she reviews things and really think she emphasizes the decor too much in most cases.
Written using Dragon NaturallySpeaking

"Life is short. Drink the good wine first"