Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
User

Adriel Gray

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Aug 31, 2012 2:53 pm

Louisville Slugger

Re: restaurant posts receipt w/ poor tip from NFL player...

by Adriel Gray » Wed Sep 10, 2014 1:47 pm

I'm not sure exactly what is right or wrong given this situation... That being said, I'm with Robin on saying that there can't be a great expectation of privacy here because McCoy was leaving this signed receipt for a total stranger and had to know that the waiter and the staff were going to see it... in fact he wanted them to see it... he was attempting to say something to them, and not in a candid "mano a mano" way. Should have left regular 20% tip and just tweeted a bad review.
User

Carla G

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:01 am

by Carla G » Wed Sep 10, 2014 2:00 pm

If I were the manager and I saw that tip on a tab I would have approached the table .
" Excuse me, it would appear that you are unhappy with the service. We hate for anyone to leave unhappy. Can you please explain your .03% tip? So we don't make the same mistake again please tell us where we fell short. And be specific."
Then I would brace myself for the tirade. It'll either be justified or it'll be BS but I think that's where it needs to be handled. Table side and not social media.
"She did not so much cook as assassinate food." - Storm Jameson
User

RonnieD

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Aug 23, 2007 12:09 pm

The rolling acres of Henry County

by RonnieD » Wed Sep 10, 2014 2:38 pm

based on the story, the tip was not noticed until after the table left.

Even so, there has to be a point at which, as a manager/owner, you step in and stop the abuse if you feel a table is abusing your employee.
Ronnie Dingman
Chef Consultant
The Farm
La Center, KY
User

Gary Z

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Nov 11, 2009 2:05 am

by Gary Z » Wed Sep 10, 2014 2:46 pm

You can't do this. You just can't. It's bad business.

If he and his party were being abusive to the staff he should have been asked to leave right there and then.

More people are going to see the original article than the owner's comments, which just seem like damage control anyway. Seems like it would have just been easier to compensate the server himself and left it at that. Also maybe barring McCoy from any future visits is in order. But public shaming just isn't a road any business owner should go down.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Wed Sep 10, 2014 3:37 pm

Gary Z wrote:But public shaming just isn't a road any business owner should go down.

This true, too, of the time Jeff Ruby threw OJ Simpson out of his eatery?
User

Jeff Cavanaugh

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Feb 11, 2011 11:49 am

by Jeff Cavanaugh » Wed Sep 10, 2014 3:39 pm

Gary Z wrote:You can't do this. You just can't. It's bad business.

If he and his party were being abusive to the staff he should have been asked to leave right there and then.

More people are going to see the original article than the owner's comments, which just seem like damage control anyway. Seems like it would have just been easier to compensate the server himself and left it at that. Also maybe barring McCoy from any future visits is in order. But public shaming just isn't a road any business owner should go down.

This manager's actions would make me MORE likely to visit his restaurant. I tip appropriately and treat people humanely, so I'm not afraid of being called out, and I want to support places that I know are doing right by their workers.
User

RonnieD

{ RANK }

Foodie

by RonnieD » Wed Sep 10, 2014 5:06 pm

Robin Garr wrote:
Gary Z wrote:But public shaming just isn't a road any business owner should go down.

If Ruby invited a television crew to come film that event as it happened and then pay a local news station to air it, then yes.
Last edited by RonnieD on Thu Sep 11, 2014 11:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ronnie Dingman
Chef Consultant
The Farm
La Center, KY
User

Gary Z

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Gary Z » Wed Sep 10, 2014 6:58 pm

RonnieD wrote:
Robin Garr wrote:

If Ruby invented a television crew to come film that event as it happened and then pay a local news station to air it, then yes.

Exactly. Jeff Ruby is a self serving publicity hound. The OJ thing wasn't his only fake attempt to lobby for victim's rights. He also made a spectacle of himself at the Drew Peterson trial. Without ever meeting the man, he has given me the impression that he's an asshole.
no avatar
User

Jason G

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Aug 04, 2008 1:18 pm

by Jason G » Thu Sep 11, 2014 3:45 pm

I might have a problem with a server doing this, but if its the owner then more power to him.

Certainly a risk, but its his business. If you don't like it don't eat there. As a guy who waited tables throughout college, i like it. Frankly, the customer is not always right. Many of them are huge jerks in fact. I feel more sorry for the server than LeSean McCoy.
User

Doug Davis

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Dec 03, 2011 10:05 pm

The Highlands

by Doug Davis » Thu Sep 11, 2014 4:17 pm

I am now more likely to eat there. I support what the owner did.

Lesean McCoy is a scumbag. Last year on twitter he asked his 10k+ followers to attack and harass his baby's momma, publicly, on twitter.

In college while assistant manager at a restaurant I had a 12+ top pay a $300+ tab by credit card and not leave any tip. I called the customer at home, asked him if there had been some problem with the service I needed to be made aware of. He embarrassingly authorized a 20% additional tip to his bill. I was happy. Server was happy. Could we potentially have lost his business in the future? Maybe, but who needs cheapskates like that anyway making your employees unhappy.
I eat, therefore I am.
User

Antonia L

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Sep 19, 2008 10:28 am

Cherokee Triangle

by Antonia L » Thu Sep 11, 2014 5:05 pm

I keep trying to find the wrong in what this manager did, and I can't.

There's no server-customer confidentiality agreement.

It is a universal truth that those in the public eye are held to a higher standard, and they should be extremely aware of their behavior, as well as the possibility of it being put on display if they do something beastly. Not to mention that a lot of people believe the "From those to whom much is given, much is expected." The last people who need to stiff a server are multimillionaires. THAT is just bad business.
User

Gary Z

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Gary Z » Thu Sep 11, 2014 11:48 pm

In my heart, yes, I love the manager for doing it.

Professionally I still say it's bad form. I challenge those of you saying otherwise to run a restaurant and adopt this behavior.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Fri Sep 12, 2014 7:02 am

Gary Z wrote:adopt this behavior.

Do we know if this guy does this sort of thing regularly? That would be a "behavior." Every now and then, everybody's got a right to yell, "I'm mad as hell, and I'm not going to take it any more." That's a different thing. :mrgreen:
User

Joel F

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Oct 10, 2011 2:21 pm

by Joel F » Fri Sep 12, 2014 8:36 am

LeSean McCoy invokes his right to leave a poor tip as a statement on service:

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/11508449/lesean-mccoy-philadelphia-eagles-left-20-cent-tip-statement-service

For a $9-12 tip which the server did not receive, the owner is making plenty of hay.
User

RonnieD

{ RANK }

Foodie

by RonnieD » Fri Sep 12, 2014 11:51 am

Robin Garr wrote:
Gary Z wrote:adopt this behavior.

Do we know if this guy does this sort of thing regularly? That would be a "behavior." Every now and then, everybody's got a right to yell, "I'm mad as hell, and I'm not going to take it any more." That's a different thing. :mrgreen:

And I get that, and you can. Tell your wife, tell your best friend, tell your employees. If you have to go public, why not just say, "one of our servers got stiffed on a $XXX check tonight. Very uncool."

By invoking the name or worse, just posting the receipt, you look bad and you only invite the retribution of the masses. Which is exactly what we see playing out here. It just seems dumb.

And Robin, he is assassinated at the end of that movie... :shock:
Ronnie Dingman
Chef Consultant
The Farm
La Center, KY
PreviousNext