Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
User

Joel F

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Oct 10, 2011 2:21 pm

restaurant posts receipt w/ poor tip from NFL player...

by Joel F » Tue Sep 09, 2014 3:53 pm

... and is getting absolutely hammered in the comments.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid ... 2977281477
User

Mark R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:02 pm

Anchorage, KY

Re: restaurant posts receipt w/ poor tip from NFL player...

by Mark R. » Tue Sep 09, 2014 4:16 pm

If you go to the Facebook page for that restaurant there is a very good posting from the owner of the restaurant regarding the situation. He's the one that actually posted the receipt and he's not apologizing for it. Based on what he stated I'm not sure he should have either.
Written using Dragon NaturallySpeaking

"Life is short. Drink the good wine first"
User

RonnieD

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Aug 23, 2007 12:09 pm

The rolling acres of Henry County

by RonnieD » Tue Sep 09, 2014 4:36 pm

Why give people an opportunity to attack you? I don't get it. What's to gain?
Ronnie Dingman
Chef Consultant
The Farm
La Center, KY
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Tue Sep 09, 2014 5:24 pm

Mark R. wrote:If you go to the Facebook page for that restaurant there is a very good posting from the owner ...

It's not really easy to find that way, Mark, so I'll repost the content of Tommy's post here. Assuming that it's an accurate account - and it feels truthful - it explains a lot.

Tommy at PYTburger wrote:A MESSAGE FROM THE OWNER:
https://www.facebook.com/PYTburger

I would like to address the LeSean McCoy tipping situation and our role in it.

For starters, I take total and complete responsibility for sharing this receipt. It was not our server's decision, it was mine. I am to blame.

I decided to take action after some serious thought. And while I'd like to apologize to Mr McCoy, I cannot in good conscience do so. I stand by my actions one hundred percent.

Mr McCoy and his three companions came into my place on Monday afternoon, and immediately the whole staff was excited. Mr McCoy is a skilled athlete and is one of our beloved Philadelphia Eagles. A true Philly legend and a sports hero. Understandably my staff was really pumped, especially on the heels of they terrific win the day before. (Go Eagles!).

Mr McCoy and his friend sat inside at a booth next to my management and next to me. They were given excellent service. Impeccable service. If anything, our server was a little nervous as was our food runner, because they are big, big fans.

He and his group, from the moment they sat down, were verbally abusive to our staff in the most insulting ways. The derogatory statements about women and their sheer contempt for the staff serving them wasn't the end, however. After Mr McCoy and his group left I looked over and saw their server, my friend, with his head bowed down and with a very confused look on his face. I took the receipt out of his hand and I couldn't believe that anyone could be so callous. Mr McCoy had left a .03% tip for our staff. Our staff that was beyond excited to see him walk into our burger joint and was excited to serve him. That's twenty cents on a tab of over $60. Twenty cents that our server has to split with the food runner and the bartender. Two dimes from an insulting multimillionaire.

I bet Mr McCoy is usually an awesome dude. And everyone has their bad days. But I'm from Philly and have had the pleasure of meeting many of our bad ass sports heroes. Ron Jaworski I met as a kid and I love. Iverson I loved. Mike Schmidt! You name 'em. I love all of our athletes past and present. Hometown heroes who treat those below them with some respect. And maybe Mr McCoy was having a "bad day" after his big victory all that, but the reports of him receiving "bad service" is a complete slanderous lie, and my crew here is better than that and deserves better than that.

At the end of the day, I did what I felt my heart told me to do. And I don't want anything from Mr McCoy, but...maybe an apology to his server who gave him excellent service would be cool.

Again, I am the owner and I take full responsibility for my actions. Eagles fans, I feel ya. Id be pissed too. But a man's gotta do what a man's gotta do and stick up for his friends.

Hate mail should be directed to tommy@pytburger.com. I will respond to you right after I catch up on this mornings hate mail.
User

Bill P

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Mar 15, 2008 9:20 am

Depauw, IN

by Bill P » Tue Sep 09, 2014 7:28 pm

"He and his group, from the moment they sat down, were verbally abusive to our staff in the most insulting ways. The derogatory statements about women and their sheer contempt for the staff serving them..."

And exactly why wasn't the group shown the door at this point? No employee should have to tolerate this, even more so at $2.13/hr. More than one douche was sitting in that booth.
User

Ray Griffith

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Jun 26, 2010 10:39 pm

Highlands

by Ray Griffith » Wed Sep 10, 2014 1:10 am

I'm not defending any alleged bad behavior, but this is just one side of the story. Secondly, any restaurant owner that allows a copy of a receipt posted on their FB page for any reason is just childish and unprofessional.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Wed Sep 10, 2014 6:33 am

Ray Griffith wrote:... any restaurant owner that allows a copy of a receipt posted on their FB page for any reason is just childish and unprofessional.

That's a mighty definitive statement, Ray. Care to expand on why there are no exceptions to your rule? "Naming and shaming" is never a good thing?
no avatar
User

Matt C

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Jul 05, 2011 1:21 pm

clifton

by Matt C » Wed Sep 10, 2014 8:33 am

This NFL player as,a role modal to kids should tip percent allways as a rule and I think its great they posted what a cheap basterd he was lol :mrgreen:
User

RonnieD

{ RANK }

Foodie

by RonnieD » Wed Sep 10, 2014 10:20 am

His statement should have been posted INSTEAD of the receipt if he felt the need to shame the player or just express frustration. The receipt could be Exhibit A if necessary to validate the story. Horse---cart.

But again, considering possible negative backlash, what is the gain here?
Ronnie Dingman
Chef Consultant
The Farm
La Center, KY
User

Joel F

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Joel F » Wed Sep 10, 2014 12:32 pm

I guess it's all free publicity for a restaurant which is seeking to franchise itself. Even the negative comments.

Why should someone with more public notoriety (or public knowledge of his finances) be subject to naming & shaming than anyone else? Isn't this a violation of privacy a customer might expect from a bar or restaurant (unwritten rule or otherwise)?
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Wed Sep 10, 2014 12:45 pm

Joel F wrote: Isn't this a violation of privacy a customer might expect from a bar or restaurant (unwritten rule or otherwise)?

Not meant as argumentative, Joel, but perhaps I'm coming from the perspective of a "recovering journalist" here. I expect privacy when I'm in my own home or fenced yard. When I'm out at a public place, not so much. And if I behave badly in a public place in 2014, I shouldn't be surprised if some amused bystander outs me on social media.

I'm in favor of privacy, truly I am. But I'm not sure that we're entitled to carry around a cone of privacy when we're out on the street.
User

Ray Griffith

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Jun 26, 2010 10:39 pm

Highlands

by Ray Griffith » Wed Sep 10, 2014 12:57 pm

Robin Garr wrote:
Ray Griffith wrote:... any restaurant owner that allows a copy of a receipt posted on their FB page for any reason is just childish and unprofessional.

That's a mighty definitive statement, Ray. Care to expand on why there are no exceptions to your rule? "Naming and shaming" is never a good thing?

There's a difference between "naming and shaming" from an individual vs a place of business. I just think that it's in bad taste for a business to do such a thing. It's one thing if a business defends itself against what it believes as false in public, that's fine. However initiating what is tantamount to a public temper tantrum in order to save face or gain sympathy is never justified.

Besides, what if this owner is wrong? As a customer, I might subconsciously think, "what if he does that to me?". If this burger joint was here, they would never get my business for that reason.
User

RonnieD

{ RANK }

Foodie

by RonnieD » Wed Sep 10, 2014 1:01 pm

Robin Garr wrote:
Joel F wrote: And if I behave badly in a public place in 2014, I shouldn't be surprised if some amused bystander outs me on social media.

I now have a goal for the remainder of 2014. If you hear a rustle in the bushes, Robin, pay no mind... :P :wink:
Ronnie Dingman
Chef Consultant
The Farm
La Center, KY
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Wed Sep 10, 2014 1:29 pm

RonnieD wrote:I now have a goal for the remainder of 2014. If you hear a rustle in the bushes, Robin, pay no mind... :P :wink:

Gimme all the beer I can drink at my local J Gumbo's, and I'm yer man! :lol:
User

Joel F

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Joel F » Wed Sep 10, 2014 1:34 pm

I think it bears chewing over, from all of our perspectives.

It's not a crime to leave a tiny gratuity.

No one has posted a video of the customer and his friends behaving badly. As compared to several notable examples of citizens filming people being abusive on public transport and this then being follow-up by the police.

If their behavior was a problem they should have gotten the bounce.

Mr McCoy may have momentarily forgotten his role as a public ambassador for his team and failed to consider the implications of a twenty-cent tip. I'm sure he'll be hearing about this from the PR dept.

The more I ponder this, the more I feel that the owner was out of line and has handled this badly if his intent was satisfaction or resolution of some kind. If his intent was publicity then it's certainly a win for him.
Next