Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

Anatomy of a Kitchen Staff

User

JustinHammond

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Jul 09, 2008 6:26 pm

Lyndon, KY 40222

Anatomy of a Kitchen Staff

by JustinHammond » Tue Sep 09, 2014 9:55 am

https://www.yahoo.com/food/anatomy-of-a ... 25696.html

They say it takes a village to raise a child, and the same thing is true for a plate of scallops. A professional kitchen is a team environment, so to give a better idea of what each player does, we interviewed the staff of The Gander in Manhattan’s Flatiron district. They were all very good looking and also full of insight. Read on to learn what the hell they’re doing in there.
"The idea is to eat well and not die from it-for the simple reason that that would be the end of your eating." - Jim Harrison

https://www.facebook.com/Louisville-Eat ... 129849554/
no avatar
User

Tim Y

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon May 04, 2009 2:20 pm

Re: Anatomy of a Kitchen Staff

by Tim Y » Tue Sep 09, 2014 7:33 pm

I loved the structure a properly run restaurant has for everybody. As a line cook out in Monterey Bay, they had it down. As a cook, I did not do any prep. All of my mise was prepped and ready. I started at 4 pm and after gathering my stuff, and making buerre blanc, we opened at 5. I would work the sautee station w/ 16 burners!!!, for the night, put my mise away and walk!! No cleaning at all. Not my job. "I pay someone else to do that", the chef would say. On Sunday, my eggs were separated, and butter clarified for hollandaise!!! It was Cool 8)
User

RonnieD

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Aug 23, 2007 12:09 pm

The rolling acres of Henry County

by RonnieD » Wed Sep 10, 2014 10:11 am

Tim Y wrote: Not my job. "I pay someone else to do that", the chef would say.

This is an attitude I have no use for. Arrogant.

I agree, however, a well run team compartmentalizes the labor and as long as each member is working at their peak, everything runs like a well oiled machine. And when that works it is nice, but "I'm too good to do X" is not a philosophy I can get behind.
Ronnie Dingman
Chef Consultant
The Farm
La Center, KY
no avatar
User

Tim Y

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon May 04, 2009 2:20 pm

by Tim Y » Wed Sep 10, 2014 6:40 pm

OMG, I did not mean to come off sounding like that!!! :oops: :shock: I will, and have, done everything necessary to "make it happen", no matter how much is on my plate. Remember I said 16 burners, well I needed chopped herbs to finish 4 of my 9 or 10 dishes going. The sous grabs a handful and starts hitting it with one knife, I grabbed another and asked him to hand over his, and watch my station. I took a double knife approach and had it done in seconds, compared to minutes. I got a raise the next day :wink: The "not my job" part came from being union, and you did not want to "take" someone else' s job!!! :roll: Sorry it came out like that, but I totally defend the system!!!
User

RonnieD

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Aug 23, 2007 12:09 pm

The rolling acres of Henry County

by RonnieD » Thu Sep 11, 2014 11:30 am

Oh dear. Apologies, Tim, that was directed at the chef above you whom you quoted, not you. :oops:
Ronnie Dingman
Chef Consultant
The Farm
La Center, KY