Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

CJ reviewer likes the Bristol(s)

no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

CJ reviewer likes the Bristol(s)

by Robin Garr » Thu Sep 04, 2014 12:16 pm

... because green-chili wontons. :mrgreen:

Your evaluation of this week's review? Be kind ...

http://www.courier-journal.com/story/en ... /15014559/
no avatar
User

RonnieD

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Aug 23, 2007 12:09 pm

The rolling acres of Henry County

Re: CJ reviewer likes the Bristol(s)

by RonnieD » Thu Sep 04, 2014 2:47 pm

"Is the Bristol consistent across all six locations? Of course not!" She says this like it's a good thing. If I were the Bristol, I would cringe at this statement. But, then again, maybe that's not the chief focus or goal of the expansion to 6 locations.

I agree with her on the Hot Brown Soup. Someone should have nixed that in the tasting phase if not prior. (For my next soup, The Chef Salad Soup!)

The Bristol has been trading on the popularity of those damn wontons, and their consistently competent execution in general, for as long as I can remember. In my opinion it's not a standout place, so it's rarely on my "dining out" radar. It is a safe fall back option when other options fall through. I remember falling back to Bristol one night when Jack Fry's didn't need my money.

So I guess I agree with her assessment that it is the "old reliable" for this town. But in my book that means it's not first in mind when "where do you want to eat" is proffered.

(nice to see Nancy back to straight reviews)
Ronnie Dingman
Chef Consultant
The Farm
La Center, KY
no avatar
User

TP Lowe

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 6:00 am

Shelby County

by TP Lowe » Thu Sep 04, 2014 3:17 pm

Robin Garr wrote:... because green-chili wontons. :mrgreen:

Wow ... nobody ever noticed those before, huh? Think she was tanked when she had them like most people were when they first found them?!
no avatar
User

RobYoder

{ RANK }

Just got here

Thu Jan 08, 2009 1:51 pm

by RobYoder » Thu Sep 04, 2014 5:43 pm

(playing nice here)

Olive Garden is also filled with happy people, is comfortable and makes people feel comfortable. It fits for a certain segment of the population and I'm OK with that, even though I'll never eat there again myself.

For me Bristol has been too gone for too long. It would take a major revamp to get me to come back, especially when so many other insanely great options compete for my attention (even at the same price point or less) in our wonderful foodie town.
no avatar
User

Gary Z

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Nov 11, 2009 2:05 am

by Gary Z » Thu Sep 04, 2014 11:40 pm

I haven't been to the Bristol in forever and when I did go it was specifically for the wontons. Otherwise I remember the menu being kind of O'Charley'sish.
no avatar
User

Tony I

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Apr 25, 2008 4:36 pm

New Albany

by Tony I » Fri Sep 05, 2014 1:49 am

the wontons were good, but I always thought the artichoke fritters were just as good, if not better.To each their own i guess.
Tony Impellizzeri's
5170 Charlestown Rd.
New Albany, In.
no avatar
User

MichaelB

{ RANK }

Just got here

Wed Aug 08, 2007 1:03 pm

by MichaelB » Fri Sep 05, 2014 8:32 am

For me Bristol needs a whole new menu
I'm not keen on a place that doesn't make their own food - cooked at a different location and warmed up at the restaurant YUK
so that let's me out of the chain places -
The last time we were there we vowed that we would never return - so it is all a matter of taste and they can not cater to ours

The wontons and everything else needs an update - sorry but true
no avatar
User

Matt C

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Jul 05, 2011 1:21 pm

clifton

by Matt C » Fri Sep 05, 2014 9:36 am

Its the place to go when u want to eat simple food after mid night that has a good wine list for good prices ( the wine list ) I think they serve till 2 am
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Fri Sep 05, 2014 10:00 am

Matt C wrote:good wine list for good prices ( the wine list ) I think they serve till 2 am

Yeah, with all the skepticism about the Bristols as a 21st century dining destination, let's pause for a moment and give honor to Scott Harper, the Bristol's beverage guy, who earned the Master Sommelier award the old-fashioned way and is very good at assembling wine lists that incorporate both quality and value. Scott's a member of the forum, although I doubt he has the time to hang around here much.
no avatar
User

Carol C

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Mar 03, 2007 9:26 pm

by Carol C » Fri Sep 05, 2014 8:57 pm

We have not been to the Bristol for a number of years, but I do confess to loving their artichoke fritters and green chili wontons! However, if indeed Chis Ross is the Chef at the Bardstown Rd location (as the review said), we will be back there in a heartbeat. We have had the opportunity to enjoy his talent and can guarantee that he makes the best filets we've ever tasted! Look forward to going back...

p.s. Chris makes the very best Green Goddess Dressing that I've ever tasted--not sure if he is doing it at the Bristol but he certainly should!!!
no avatar
User

Tony_S

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Jun 08, 2008 2:51 pm

Louisville

by Tony_S » Sat Sep 06, 2014 7:45 am

I'm still amazed that they make those green chili wontons locally. They scream costco frozen aisle. I've never understood Bristol. Very underwhelming food in a boring atmosphere. I'm not a native (been here almost 20 years) but I've always thought Bristol probably peaked in 1985. Maybe Nancy Miller did too.
no avatar
User

Carla G

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:01 am

by Carla G » Sat Sep 06, 2014 8:12 am

Well, I guess I'm an old fogey here. I remember when The Bristol first opened up. There was nothing in town like it. It was new, progressive and hip. It spawned an number of other restaurants and restauranteurs (like Bim Dietrich) and pretty much started Louisville's dining movement. I think it deserves a hats off if for no other reason. Yeah, it does seem that they've gotten comfortable pandering to their stable of old time regulars and that's their prerogative. I do think it was The Bristol that opened the door for the parade of great restaurants we now enjoy. And whole Scot Harper is very skilled, prior to him was Jerry Rogers who had gone on to own some nice liqueur stores. No slouch himself.
"She did not so much cook as assassinate food." - Storm Jameson
no avatar
User

Andrew Mellman

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:33 am

Louisville

by Andrew Mellman » Wed Sep 10, 2014 4:22 pm

I may be alone here, but I think Bristol serves a good niche. I would never give it 4-5 stars, but I really don't think that is what it's going for!

It gives comfort food, offers one or two newer dishes, all at a good price and with VERY affordable wine options.

True, we're not "regulars", but we do go when we're looking for that type of meal, and we know we will be happy with the results!
Andrew Mellman