Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Flay to launch Louisville eatery?

by Robin Garr » Thu Sep 04, 2014 10:38 am

In the CJ ...

Bobby Flay eyes Louisville for new restaurant

http://cjky.it/1o0NuKe
no avatar
User

Jeff Cavanaugh

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Feb 11, 2011 11:49 am

Re: Flay to launch Louisville eatery?

by Jeff Cavanaugh » Thu Sep 04, 2014 10:48 am

Come on, Bobby. If you want to play here, impress us with something original. Don't recycle one of your existing concepts!
no avatar
User

Mark R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:02 pm

Anchorage, KY

by Mark R. » Thu Sep 04, 2014 11:53 am

Robin, the link in your original post doesn't work! I was able to find the article but it would be easier for others if the link worked.
Written using Dragon NaturallySpeaking

"Life is short. Drink the good wine first"
no avatar
User

Steve H

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Apr 17, 2008 12:27 pm

Neanderthals rock!

by Steve H » Thu Sep 04, 2014 11:55 am

An updated Mesa Grill sure wouldn't hurt my feelings.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Thu Sep 04, 2014 12:12 pm

Mark R. wrote:Robin, the link in your original post doesn't work! I was able to find the article but it would be easier for others if the link worked.

Mark, actually it was a good link. It wasn't clickable, but it was the correct link, needing only to be copied and pasted into your browser.

I fixed it, though ... it's clickable now. :mrgreen:
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Thu Sep 04, 2014 12:13 pm

Sadly, I think this quote pretty much says it all:

Bobby Flay wrote:While here, he said he'll fuel up with some fried chicken — his answer when asked to name his go-to comfort food in Louisville. He said he had some good fried chicken in NuLu but couldn't remember the name of the spot.
no avatar
User

RonnieD

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Aug 23, 2007 12:09 pm

The rolling acres of Henry County

by RonnieD » Thu Sep 04, 2014 2:51 pm

Class act. I can't wait for him to grace us with his majesty. :roll: :roll: :roll:
Ronnie Dingman
Chef Consultant
The Farm
La Center, KY
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Thu Sep 04, 2014 3:17 pm

I met him when he was here to do that Hot Brown throwdown with the Castros, and Todd Richards and I were the judges. He seemed quieter than I expected, smaller, and not pushy or loudmouthy at all when he was out of camera-ON persona. But he did seem like a fairly empty suit. :(
no avatar
User

Susanne Smith

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 02, 2007 5:55 pm

by Susanne Smith » Fri Sep 05, 2014 3:34 pm

So, I'm telling my dishwasher about the Bobby Flay sighting, etc.. and he recounts working Derby a few years ago at a local restaurant, where being an admirer of Mr. Flay, he politely approaches him and his two Louisville Police Dept. Bodyguards, and says, Mr. Flay, I'm a big fan, watch your shows, and would you mind giving me your autograph? And Mr. Flay, (Not stressed, or surrounded by people, just sitting there) Says, "Get the F**K out of here!" I could tell by the way he told me, that he is still hurt by it. What a schmuck.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Fri Sep 05, 2014 4:37 pm

Susanne Smith wrote:two Louisville Police Dept. Bodyguards

Seriously? :shock: I'll bet anything he was paying them. We caught LPD at that kind of thing way back around '78 or '79 and did a big story about it in the late Louisville Times. I'm sure it didn't change a damn thing.
no avatar
User

Mark R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:02 pm

Anchorage, KY

by Mark R. » Fri Sep 05, 2014 4:55 pm

Robin Garr wrote:
Susanne Smith wrote:two Louisville Police Dept. Bodyguards

Seriously? :shock: I'll bet anything he was paying them. We caught LPD at that kind of thing way back around '78 or '79 and did a big story about it in the late Louisville Times. I'm sure it didn't change a damn thing.

I'm sure they were probably off-duty and he was paying them out of pocket. A lot of the officers do that on the side to raise extra money for themselves. I've always wondered how they could legally wear their police uniform and use their police car when they weren't working for the police department but they do it all the time so....... :roll:
Written using Dragon NaturallySpeaking

"Life is short. Drink the good wine first"
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Fri Sep 05, 2014 7:43 pm

Mark R. wrote:I've always wondered how they could legally wear their police uniform and use their police car when they weren't working for the police department but they do it all the time so....... :roll:

There oughta be a law ... :P
no avatar
User

Suzi Bernert

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 2:08 pm

Louisville, KY

by Suzi Bernert » Fri Sep 05, 2014 8:11 pm

As long as LMPD officers clear it with command, they can work off-duty jobs in uniform. I am not sure who pays for the officers at Churchill Downs, but I would think that off the track, it would definitely be the protectee.
Retired from LMEMS
Co-Founder and House Mother
Berndows Enterprise
"Time to eat?"
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Fri Sep 05, 2014 8:41 pm

Suzi Bernert wrote:As long as LMPD officers clear it with command, they can work off-duty jobs in uniform. I am not sure who pays for the officers at Churchill Downs, but I would think that off the track, it would definitely be the protectee.

Yeah, I'm sure they can do it. My issue, though, is that there's something profoundly wrong about private individuals being allowed to pay to have the police power of the state turned to their personal benefit.

Back in the John Y Brown Jr administration in Frankfort, one of the better things he did was forbade Kentucky State Police to hire themselves out to mine operators to bust union workers' heads. ("Would you rather be a union man, or a thug for J.H. Blair?")
no avatar
User

looi

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Mar 04, 2007 11:23 pm

by looi » Fri Sep 05, 2014 9:51 pm

And Mr. Flay, (Not stressed, or surrounded by people, just sitting there) Says, "Get the F**K out of here!"

I believe the words were from Flay, according to Susanne. His new store will be oozing of arrogance instead of flavors.
Next