Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

LEO/HotBytes: El Camino's brunch wows us

by Robin Garr » Wed Sep 03, 2014 4:01 pm

El Camino's brunch wows us with Latino style

LEO's Eats with Robin Garr

What? The food guy is going Mexican again? Three weeks running, he's ricocheted from Argentine beef to taqueria offal to fancified Chicano fare in the surfer tradition? ¿Qué pasa? Or, in the Queen's English, what's up with that?

Hmm. I suppose I could claim that I'm dining Latino-style out of solidarity with the flood of kids from Central America who are piling up at our border. I could say I'm doing it to take a stand in a national debate that prompts some Americans to yell that Lady Liberty lifts her lamp beside the golden door only for immigrants who look like us.

And those things could be true.

But to be honest, I mainly went to El Camino this week to check out the Sunday brunch <!--more-->that began there earlier this year. I had been eager to get back, anyway, since Chef Jonathan Schwartz moved on rather abruptly a month after it opened, to be replaced by Chef Brian Enyart, formerly chef de cuisine under chef-media star Rick Bayless at Chicago's Topolobampo and Frontera Grill. That had to bode well.

Now, full up after brunch, I'm prepared to say that El Camino is just as good as ever. The brunch - offered from a menu, not buffet-style - is a fine way to while away a Sunday midday.

El Camino did a major remodel when it took over the old Avalon space. Its colorful Latino look, which mashes up stained-glass church windows and presumably ironic votive candles with Dia de Muertos tchotchkes, is just as bright and fun by daylight as it was during our previous dinner visit.

Chef Enyart's team does a fine job with the brunch menu, too. ...

Read the full review on LouisvilleHotBytes,
http://www.louisvillehotbytes.com/el-ca ... tino-style
And in LEO Weekly:
http://leoweekly.com/dining/el-caminos- ... tino-style

Brunch at El Camino
1314 Bardstown Road
454-5417
http://elfreakingcamino.com
https://facebook.com/ElCaminoLouisville
Robin Garr's rating: 89 points
no avatar
User

Rick Boman

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 9:26 am

Re: LEO/HotBytes: El Camino's brunch wows us

by Rick Boman » Wed Sep 03, 2014 5:29 pm

Robin, I am glad you enjoyed our brunch. We have a young crew here, and they keep this old guy on his toes. Chef Enyart constantly challenges the rest of us to push the envelope, and I have learned a lot under him.
no avatar
User

Alanna H

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 8:11 pm

Colorado Springs

by Alanna H » Wed Sep 03, 2014 5:39 pm

Their biscuits and chorizo gravy is delicious, as well!
User

RonnieD

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Aug 23, 2007 12:09 pm

The rolling acres of Henry County

by RonnieD » Thu Sep 04, 2014 9:42 am

Going political, Robin? I think you and Nancy are taking the same writers' course at the community college on common mistakes of food writers! :twisted:

Asides aside, I must get to El Camino! Thank you for confirming that fact.
Ronnie Dingman
Chef Consultant
The Farm
La Center, KY
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Thu Sep 04, 2014 10:40 am

RonnieD wrote:Going political, Robin? I think you and Nancy are taking the same writers' course at the community college on common mistakes of food writers! :twisted:

Asides aside, I must get to El Camino! Thank you for confirming that fact.

It's a great place. And I've been going political, theological, going down wacky tangents for years. I leave the boring school of food writing to humorless folks like "Wee Willie" Whacker over at Louisville Wanker. :twisted: