Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

Pizza Styles

User

Lois Mauk

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Mar 03, 2007 11:08 pm

Jeffersonville, Indiana

Re: Pizza Styles

by Lois Mauk » Mon Sep 01, 2014 6:36 am

Bill P: this link is for you ...http://www.pizzatoday.com/departments/i ... en/apizza/

On Detroit style pizza being introduced to Louisville: http://www.pizzatoday.com/views/introdu ... le-region/

Re pizza styles in general: http://www.pizzatoday.com/departments/o ... za-styles/
Make a fast friend . . . Adopt a retired racer from Greyhound Pets of America!
http://www.GPALouisville.org
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Mon Sep 01, 2014 7:04 am

Great post, Tony! Thanks for the family insights ... I can't imagine why I'd want to delete that!
no avatar
User

Matt C

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Jul 05, 2011 1:21 pm

clifton

by Matt C » Mon Sep 01, 2014 8:42 am

Cool thanks for clarifying tony these were all things I had heard through the years but wasnt there when happoned but do have question tho did the pizza style come from fun city ( I never ate there ) or from u guys I will take what u tell me as fact and leave it alone from there Tony and thanks for responding to what I wrote :-)!
no avatar
User

Tony I

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Apr 25, 2008 4:36 pm

New Albany

by Tony I » Mon Sep 01, 2014 2:29 pm

Matt, the pizza style actually evolved from our family lifestyle.having been raised in the food business ,grocery/meat market, if nothing else we always ate well. Meals were ...well lets just say we ate well.
Benny was the only one who had any pizza experience --Mario's, Fun City., neither of which had much in common with what was to become Impellizzeri's, With Benny's experience and alot of siblings to taste test, we did a lot of "try this and that" using recipes from our family as a starter and tweaked them all until we found something we all liked. When we first started the pizzas were built on the wooden pizza peels.That was the way it was done at Fun City. The problem with that method was Benny being very creative wanted to make the pizzas bigger (read HEAVIER).So we would flour the peel, build the pizza and put it in the oven.Sounds easy. FAIL. The pizzas took so long to build that the pizza sauce would bleed through to the peel and the only thing that made it to the inside of the oven was the toppings,the dough remained on the peel. Hence pizza screens.We made a lot of bad pizzas before we made any good pizzas. But To answer your question,
the pizza style was due to Benny's creativity. Making it work took the family's dedication. My fathers business insight, moms recipe input, our sisters cutting vegetables by the buckets, me baking all the pizzas ,(nobody else wanted that job), and the extended family and friends that all had a passion for making something special. 35 years later, its still our passion.
Tony Impellizzeri's
5170 Charlestown Rd.
New Albany, In.
no avatar
User

Matt C

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Jul 05, 2011 1:21 pm

clifton

by Matt C » Mon Sep 01, 2014 5:09 pm

Awsome Tony thanks will be im soon I got a pizza challenge for a buddie to eat a,whole one of your pies ! :-) which are awsome and HUGE !!
User

Mark R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:02 pm

Anchorage, KY

by Mark R. » Mon Sep 01, 2014 7:33 pm

Matt C wrote:Awsome Tony thanks will be im soon I got a pizza challenge for a buddie to eat a,whole one of your pies ! :-) which are awsome and HUGE !!

Good Luck on That One! :roll:
Written using Dragon NaturallySpeaking

"Life is short. Drink the good wine first"
Previous