Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

Tacqueria on Preston

no avatar
User

AliceMoore

{ RANK }

Just got here

Sat Aug 30, 2014 5:47 pm

Tacqueria on Preston

by AliceMoore » Sat Aug 30, 2014 5:58 pm

I am not from the area, but will be coming for a visit soon and the last time I was there we went to a very authentic tacqueria/grocery/butcher, etc! I actually read about it in a L'ville mag and believe it was recommended by the chef of Proof on Main(?) Cannot remember the name of it!!
no avatar
User

Iggy C

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Oct 10, 2011 9:33 am

Re: Tacqueria on Preston

by Iggy C » Sat Aug 30, 2014 6:58 pm

There are a bunch: La Chapinlandia, I think one called La Rosita, another that specializes in rotisserie chicken (Super Torta?), and some others for which I forget the names. Any details? All are "authentic" but definitions of what that means can vary a lot, in my experience. I haven't had a bad experience at any of them, with Chapinlandia having the best tortillas (provided you request the handmade ones). But Chapinlandia is Guatemalan, in case that's a deal-breaker.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Sat Aug 30, 2014 7:37 pm

Alice, Rosticeria Luna on Preston just south of Gilmore Lane is in a strip with a Panaderia and some other Latino shops. I believe it was started by a guy who had been with the Pollo Loco restaurants in Colombia and set up along a similar model. It's basically a taqueria but with the addition of Mexican roast chicken that's definitely worth the trip.

And, as Iggy says, Chapinlandia is another exceptional one. La Tapatia, toward the southern end of the Preston strip just past Blue Lick Road, is also a long-standing taqueria that's had a loyal Latino audience for a decade or two.
User

Ryan B

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Mar 05, 2007 1:22 pm

by Ryan B » Tue Sep 02, 2014 11:47 am

La Tapatia, toward the southern end of the Preston strip just past Blue Lick Road, is also a long-standing taqueria that's had a loyal Latino audience for a decade or two.

That place hasn't been la Tapatia for while now. Probably over a year. I think its El Molcajete now. Not sure if it's related to the folks on 4th st or not as I cant make myself pass Taqueria La Mexicana without going there for fast and delicious tacos or tortas.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Tue Sep 02, 2014 11:56 am

Ryan B wrote:That place hasn't been la Tapatia for while now. Probably over a year. I think its El Molcajete now. Not sure if it's related to the folks on 4th st or not as I cant make myself pass Taqueria La Mexicana without going there for fast and delicious tacos or tortas.

Thanks for the update, Ryan! I must not have been out that way for a while, d'oh! :oops:

I'm pretty sure that the original, and the accompanying bodega, were started by Saul Garcia, who went on to start the local Los Aztecas mini-chain.
User

Deb Hall

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Mar 04, 2007 4:46 pm

Highlands , Louisville

by Deb Hall » Tue Sep 02, 2014 4:08 pm

Alice,
You might want to search the Forum for "tacqueria" and "Anthony Lamas" ( Chef/ Owner of Seviche) . I think he was quoted in the magazine and I know he's chimed in here in the past with a tacqueria that he really loves- I believe on Preston Hwy.
:wink:
Deb
User

Antonia L

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Sep 19, 2008 10:28 am

Cherokee Triangle

by Antonia L » Tue Sep 02, 2014 5:00 pm

You'll also find results by searching under "taqueria".
no avatar
User

AliceMoore

{ RANK }

Just got here

Sat Aug 30, 2014 5:47 pm

by AliceMoore » Wed Sep 03, 2014 2:05 pm

Thank you all! Can't wait to get back to The Ville! It was Lamas's recommendation of La Tropicana on Preston that I could not remember.
User

TracyBasham

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Jul 28, 2014 12:58 pm

Brandenburg, Ky

by TracyBasham » Mon Sep 08, 2014 8:10 pm

We frequent El Molcajete quite often for their chorizo tacos. The absolute best we have had across the US. Only downside is the DJ that this there on any given night. The music is so loud, you can barely place your order. But hey, there's always 'To Go'! :mrgreen: