Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Voice-Tribune/HotBytes review: Grind Burger Kitchen

by Robin Garr » Fri Aug 29, 2014 9:47 am

Quality counts at Grind Burger Kitchen
Voice-Tribune review by Robin Garr

When you're buying a car, a suit, a pair of shoes, a watch, or even a hamburger, quality makes a difference. Leather seats or plastic in your family limo? All-weather wool from Armani or shiny polyester from T.J.Maxx? Mephisto loafers, or sneakers from Payless? Tag Heuer or a fake Rolex?

Oh, hell, this is too complicated. Let's go get a burger.

Or not.

When we're in the market for luxury, quality may look and feel good, but you can cut corners without jeopardizing life and limb. Cut corners on ground beef, and you may be taking more of a risk.

It may not happen often, but cheap ground beef has a record: It can kill you. A food poisoning outbreak in 1993, attributed to a virulent form of E. coli in hamburgers, sickened 700 people and killed four children.

The problem with industrial ground beef, experts say, is that you don't know where it comes from, and you don't know where it's been. Worse, everything gets mixed together. "If pathogens are present when meat is ground," warns the United States Department of Agriculture's Food Safety and Inspection Service, "then more of the meat surface is exposed to the harmful bacteria. Also, grinding allows any bacteria present on the surface to be mixed throughout the meat."

All together now: "Eeeuuuwww!"

But there's a way to have your ground beef and eat it too, safely and with real enjoyment: Stick to meat from locally produced, grass-fed critters, grown by folks you can meet face to face at the farmers' market. In Louisville, I suggest Bluegrass Burgers, 3334 Frankfort Ave., or the subject of today's dissertation, Grind Burger Kitchen, the recently established land-based operation of the city's popular Grind Burger Truck. ...

Read my full review on LouisvilleHotBytes.com:
http://www.louisvillehotbytes.com/quali ... er-kitchen
and in the Voice-Tribune:
http://www.voice-tribune.com/life-style ... r-kitchen/

Grind Burger Kitchen
3311 Preston Highway
851-7333
http://louisvillegrind.blogspot.com
https://facebook.com/louisvillegrind
Robin Garr's rating: 85 points
User

Mary Anne

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:31 am

Louisville: Highlands

Re: Voice-Tribune/HotBytes review: Grind Burger Kitchen

by Mary Anne » Fri Aug 29, 2014 10:39 am

Love the fries at Grind. But interestingly, they won't cook a burger rare. Medium rare is as rare as they will go.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Fri Aug 29, 2014 12:33 pm

Mary Anne wrote:Love the fries at Grind. But interestingly, they won't cook a burger rare. Medium rare is as rare as they will go.

I didn't know that! Usually requiring a minimum cooking level has to do with the industrial-beef contamination issues, so maybe they're being abundantly cautious even with good beef. But I'm not sure that works ... to reach bacteria-killing levels, you've really got to get the meat up over 160F, at which point you're talking about well-done.

Next time I'd ask them. If the truck isn't out, Liz or Jesse will probably be there, and I'm sure they'd be responsive.
User

Mary Anne

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:31 am

Louisville: Highlands

by Mary Anne » Fri Aug 29, 2014 12:44 pm

If I had to take a wild guess, I wonder if the cheese can't be melted appropriately when the burger is actually rare? But their medium rare is really what I'd call medium, barely pink. If you think about it Robin, ask them.
no avatar
User

Liz H

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Mar 25, 2012 4:10 pm

Old Louisville

by Liz H » Fri Aug 29, 2014 1:02 pm

Hi All!

I'm happy to field Mary Anne's question. :) As I'm sure you can imagine the Health Department was not a fan of us grinding beef on a truck let alone serving a rare burger on a truck (despite the fact that, as Robin said, it would have to be practically well done to reach the suggested temp) we just decided to make it policy that unless you're a regular customer and we've built some rapport with you the lowest we would go is medium rare despite the fact that you could eat our beef raw if you really wanted to. As for determining the doneness of a burger based on color, industrial meat is treated with carbon monoxide to keep it red longer which has trained the public to think that the color determines how done it is. It's not to say that it doesn't have something to do with it, but I think we're pretty judicial on our temps and even warn people that they will come out a little more pink than at some other places, but perhaps you're used to something more pink. Regardless, if anyone would like to read more about how color doesn't determine doneness as well as taking temps (or just cooking thousands and thousands of burgers and knowing your product) I encourage you to read this article.

http://www.gourmet.com/food/gourmetlive ... ger-helper
no avatar
User

Liz H

{ RANK }

Foodie

Old Louisville

by Liz H » Fri Aug 29, 2014 1:17 pm

Oh! I almost forgot. Thank you Robin for the great review. I'm glad y'all enjoyed yourselves. :)
no avatar
User

Iggy C

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Oct 10, 2011 9:33 am

by Iggy C » Fri Aug 29, 2014 1:58 pm

I really like the burgers at Grind -- definitely some of my favorites in town. I had a very nice lobster roll there a couple weeks back, too. I remember hearing that you're gonna start serving beer pretty soon, right?
no avatar
User

Liz H

{ RANK }

Foodie

Old Louisville

by Liz H » Fri Aug 29, 2014 2:04 pm

Hey Iggy!

Yup. Beer is coming very, very soon. We already have our permit from the city but are still waiting on the state before we can serve. Our bank account shows the state has cashed the check so we're guessing another couple weeks as long as nothing crazy happens. We've spoken to a few distributors already and will have a nice selection of the usual suspects for the less adventurous crowd and then some local and more unique options as well. We'll start with cans and bottles but will soon add a few drafts to the lineup. We are also being permitted for packaged sales since we do a lot of carry out business to the surrounding neighborhoods and hotels so they can grab a beer and burger to go.
User

Adriel Gray

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Aug 31, 2012 2:53 pm

Louisville Slugger

by Adriel Gray » Fri Aug 29, 2014 2:05 pm

Love the Grind. Liz and Jesse are awesome, and next time you see me Liz you owe me a beer to-go for the endorsement. :D
no avatar
User

Alanna H

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 8:11 pm

Colorado Springs

by Alanna H » Sat Aug 30, 2014 9:20 pm

Having never been successful in tracking down the Grind truck, I was thrilled to find out they had an actual building I could visit. I rarely eat out anymore since having bariatric surgery, but decided to splurge and treat myself to (what I hoped would turn out to be) an amazing burger.
My son and I just got back from eating there and I am thoroughly satisfied! I got a Grind burger with tomato, grilled onions, and garlic aioli. I requested it medium rare, and it was perfectly pink and mushy all the way through. Just the way I wanted it! The taste was delicious and my only complaint is that I couldn't finish it, due to the restriction my surgery provides.
My son had a Grind with the regular toppings plus American cheese and a fried egg. He ordered his medium but I never looked at it to see how it looked. He was impressed with the burger, but I didn't get much else out of him as he was too busy stuffing his face.
He ordered fries and I ate a few of them and have to say- these are the best fries I have ever had. Perfect amount of salt and seasoning, and plenty of potato taste. My son ordered a side of smoked ketchup and he seemed to like it. I tried it and it was fine, but I don't like smoked taste so it's not something I had to have. But definitely something different and interesting for those that like it.
We were happy that they had Rooibee Red tea, because it's a favorite of ours which not many places carry. The girl working the counter was very friendly and helpful. There were only two other tables occupied while we were there. I hope that it was just the weather keeping people away.