Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

CJ toots Varanese's horn ...

User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

CJ toots Varanese's horn ...

by Robin Garr » Wed Aug 27, 2014 4:23 pm

The CJ reviews Varanese. Tomorrow's print review hits the Interwebz today. Your opinions?
http://www.courier-journal.com/story/en ... /14695605/
no avatar
User

SilvioM

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Aug 01, 2014 11:13 pm

Re: CJ toots Varanese's horn ...

by SilvioM » Wed Aug 27, 2014 5:13 pm

"It was a push that shoved back"?!? A cute line for a high school paper, but c'mon.

Overall, her work is such that I don't think her opinion has enough weight for me to take, say, a recommendation of a place that I'd not thought of going to all that seriously. I just don't get the sense that she's qualified to evaluate food at a high level. I might be wrong.
User

RonnieD

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Aug 23, 2007 12:09 pm

The rolling acres of Henry County

by RonnieD » Thu Aug 28, 2014 9:27 am

She does seem to be getting a bit flighty and shallow. Please do not flirt with the chef in your review. And she clearly knows this because she apologies for it immediately.

Again, an editor would be nice. Does the CJ still employ any? Or have they gone the LEO route?
Ronnie Dingman
Chef Consultant
The Farm
La Center, KY
no avatar
User

Matt C

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Jul 05, 2011 1:21 pm

clifton

by Matt C » Thu Aug 28, 2014 1:03 pm

Just read in paper I wonder why she only gave them 3 and half stars ?? What did she not like anybody have a clue ??
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Thu Aug 28, 2014 2:58 pm

... an editor would be nice. Does the CJ still employ any? Or have they gone the LEO route?

:lol:

Seriously, though, despite the much publicized implosion, LEO still has editors. Don't believe everything you read in CJ or the Poser.
User

Deb Hall

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Mar 04, 2007 4:46 pm

Highlands , Louisville

by Deb Hall » Thu Aug 28, 2014 7:45 pm

Really puzzled on the scoring too. I really like that a taqueria ( El Mariachi) is getting only 1/2 star less than a much more upscale place, but the review for El Mariachi has a lot of detail on the failed first attempt ( including the entree food), yet still gets 3 stars. I genuinely like both of these places, but I'm not following the rating system.

( On a side note: how would you describe Varanese?- it's not truly fine dining in my book, but how to classify? )
Deb
User

RonnieD

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Aug 23, 2007 12:09 pm

The rolling acres of Henry County

by RonnieD » Thu Aug 28, 2014 9:18 pm

Robin Garr wrote:
... an editor would be nice. Does the CJ still employ any? Or have they gone the LEO route?

:lol:

Seriously, though, despite the much publicized implosion, LEO still has editors. Don't believe everything you read in CJ or the Poser.

I know you have to toe the company line over there Robin, but after the shaft they gave Sara and the West End, and the exodus that followed, I've lost a lot of love for the LEO. You are about the only reason I both with it. Far as I am concerned LEO and CJ are sailing similar seas these days...
Ronnie Dingman
Chef Consultant
The Farm
La Center, KY
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Thu Aug 28, 2014 9:41 pm

RonnieD wrote: Far as I am concerned LEO and CJ are sailing similar seas these days...

I'm merely a contract content provider, Ronnie, so I don't get told any secrets, nor sign a loyalty oath.

I'd point out, though, that no matter how tone-deaf the changeover - and everyone agrees that it was horribly handled - you're still comparing a small business that's again locally owned against a multinational corporation that exists primarily to suck money out of the community and ship it to the Mother Node.
no avatar
User

Traci Badenhausen

{ RANK }

Just got here

Mon Oct 25, 2010 4:12 pm

by Traci Badenhausen » Fri Aug 29, 2014 5:47 pm

Personally, I am appalled at the unprofessional comments by Nancy Miller about Chef Varanese in her review. Whether he is "cute" or not has absolutely no place within a legitimate review of the quality and/or ambiance of any restaurant. After her fiasco with the Palermo Viejo review, I would have thought that someone at that paper would have had some sort of editorial control over the writer, but obviously not...At this point, I have no interest in reading anything further from Ms. Miller as I do not take her seriously in this role.
no avatar
User

Matt C

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Jul 05, 2011 1:21 pm

clifton

by Matt C » Fri Aug 29, 2014 8:37 pm

Maybe they want to get readers into buying the paper and all this controversy helps!? Just a thought to ponder .