Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
no avatar
User

Linda C

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 08, 2007 8:38 pm

YOO HOO! The Ville Tacqueria is OPEN!

by Linda C » Tue Aug 26, 2014 12:31 pm

:D
I stopped by today at 10:30, the OPEN sign was on. However, they were a couple of hours away from serving. I met the owner, Fabian, very nice man. I'll try to post the menu...
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Re: YOO HOO! The Ville Tacqueria is OPEN!

by Robin Garr » Tue Aug 26, 2014 12:49 pm

Linda C wrote: I'll try to post the menu...

Can't wait for your report! Thanks, Linda!
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Tue Aug 26, 2014 2:44 pm

Linda posted the menu on the HotBytes Facebook page, and here's a copy.

villetaqueria.jpg
Ville Taqueria menu
villetaqueria.jpg (372.29 KiB) Viewed 5718 times

Here's the original discussion of the Ville Taqueria, which is opening in the old Carolina Shrimp/Lula's place behind BBC in St Matthews.
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=22207
User

Mary Anne

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:31 am

Louisville: Highlands

by Mary Anne » Thu Aug 28, 2014 9:13 am

salsa.jpg
(196.48 KiB) Not downloaded yet
I must have stopped by a half hour after Linda, and the owner graciously gave me some of his salsas to take home to try. If the food is as good as the salsa we are in for a great new restaurant. From 10 clockwise..Molcajete fire roasted. Árbol agave miel. Jalapeño#3. Tomatillo rojo. Habanero. All very different and very very good.
no avatar
User

Linda C

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 08, 2007 8:38 pm

by Linda C » Thu Aug 28, 2014 2:48 pm

My husband and I stopped in today and met forum member Madeline at the adjoining booth. Wow! This place rocks! Fresh ingredients, homemade salsas and marinades. Homemade tortillas with structure. I tried the street style adobo honey grilled shrimp taco. It was sooo good. Also loved the cilantro lime pesto chargrilled Mahi tacos. They serve two types of tacos, street style and CLT. (Cheese, lettuce, tomato. They have 3 types of burritos with 5 different fillings..beef(3 kinds), chicken, 3 types of pork, shrimp, 2 kinds of fish and vegetable. Also available are quesadillas and three styles of tortas. Several sides are available. You will want to make several trips to sample , for sure. A really welcome addition to the city and much better than Taco Punk.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Thu Aug 28, 2014 2:55 pm

I dropped in for a midafternoon snack today and was also impressed with the mood, the feel and the food. Very nice people seriously devoted to making fast Mexican street food. They've beautifully redecorated the old Carolina Seafood, and there's really no language barrier at all. A great addition to the St Matthews scene. And, staying open until 2 a.m. Fridays and Saturdays, they'll make a fine alternative to pizza. :mrgreen:
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Thu Aug 28, 2014 4:08 pm

Adding to Linda's post, which covers the basics, I picked up a menu today and ran both sides through the scanner, so you might find additional stuff there:

http://www.louisvillehotbytes.com/blogp ... leTaq1.JPG

http://www.louisvillehotbytes.com/blogp ... leTaq2.JPG
User

Mary Anne

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Mary Anne » Fri Aug 29, 2014 12:50 pm

Stopped in today for lunch, got the barbacoa burrito. It didn't exactly come as ordered, but was delicious, the barbacoa was tender and generous in portion. Also got a side of the Charro Borracho (pintos and black beans) which were perfect. I've decided the Arbol Agave Miel salsa and the Tomatillo Rojo salsas are my favorites. They were out of the rojo. :( They said next week they will have their "grand opening" but I'd sneak in before the crowds discover this place. It's a winner. And they have Horchata!
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Thu Sep 04, 2014 7:13 pm

Mary and I just went again, for a mahi-mahi taco, carnitas quesadilla and veggie torta. This place is insanely good. :mrgreen:
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Thu Sep 04, 2014 7:22 pm

Mary Anne wrote:Arbol Agave Miel salsa

Is that the reddish-brown sauce that has a mild heat and a fascinating smoky-sweet thing going on? I could have eaten it with a spoon.
User

Mary Anne

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Mary Anne » Fri Sep 05, 2014 7:59 am

That is the one Robin. Arbol Agave Miel. He has promised in the future he will sell this in bulk. And I will be standing in line with my money in hand. It's just sweet enough, just spicy enough, just smooth enough that yes, I think a spoon would be a perfect utensil to use to consume this perfect salsa...or a straw. :D
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Fri Sep 05, 2014 8:47 am

Mary Anne wrote:That is the one Robin. Arbol Agave Miel. He has promised in the future he will sell this in bulk. And I will be standing in line with my money in hand. It's just sweet enough, just spicy enough, just smooth enough that yes, I think a spoon would be a perfect utensil to use to consume this perfect salsa...or a straw. :D

Hah! Don't eat it all, save some for me! No kidding, they brought out a little bowl and said "You'll like this ... it's not too hot." I said, "I like hot!" But I tried some, and OMG WHOAAAAA!

I asked the guy later on - his English is perfect, hers not so much - and he said he makes it from arbol chiles "toasted" on the grill to get that smoky/charred thing going on. He didn't mention "agave miel," but "miel" is honey, I know. I wonder about the agave ... agave nectar, a honey-like sweetener? Or maybe a shot of tequila in it? Mmmmmm.

Bottom line, that guy does amazing things with prep and flavor. I think he could be working in a much fancier kitchen and still be a star. The next-generation's Bruce Ucan, maybe?
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Fri Sep 05, 2014 11:17 am

Have we linked to their online media? I don't see it, so ...

Here is their Facebook page, which is active:

https://facebook.com/TheVilleSt.Matthews

It links to their Web page, which is not. ("Under Construction") It looks like they're going to focus on Facebook.

http://TheVilleTaqueria.com
no avatar
User

MarieP

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:56 pm

St. Matthews

by MarieP » Sat Sep 06, 2014 5:09 pm

I went today for lunch. Honestly, I was not very impressed with my ajua torta. It was filling, I really liked the carnitas meat, and the pickled jalepenos were tasty- not as spicy it seemed as others, a fact that I liked! But the rest struck me as somewhat bland and pedestrian. The arbol agave miel did perk it up (agreed- it is deliciously intriguing!). I think I will give it another go and try the tacos. I really enjoyed my horchata! And the price can't be beat...

One thing I found a bit odd was how they decided to use up most of the former booth space for restrooms. I guess they didn't like the old set-up?
User

Mark R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:02 pm

Anchorage, KY

by Mark R. » Sat Sep 06, 2014 6:51 pm

MarieP wrote: One thing I found a bit odd was how they decided to use up most of the former booth space for restrooms. I guess they didn't like the old set-up?

I'm wondering if that may be was because of code requirements that work in effect when the original restaurant in that location opened? If the cost of remodeling exceeds a certain limit everything must be brought up to the current codes.
Written using Dragon NaturallySpeaking

"Life is short. Drink the good wine first"
Next