Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
no avatar
User

JamesandrutheatonDrake

{ RANK }

Just got here

Sat Aug 23, 2014 7:56 pm

Terrible lunch at the Uptown Cafe

by JamesandrutheatonDrake » Sat Aug 23, 2014 8:03 pm

On Thursday the 21st of August, my wife and I had lunch at the Uptown Cafe. My wife ordered the polenta with veggies. She had eaten this dish on several occasions previously and it was very good. However this time it was drenched with a greasy, red oil that ruined all but the polenta. We asked the busser to make sure the waiter got a close look at this oil soaked dish. He did acknowledge that it was the normal presentation. No effort was made by the waiter or anyone else to make this right. Since the chef and the owner do not care we will not return. Just wanted everyone to know that The Uptown is slipping.
User

Amy Hoover

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:27 pm

Butchertown

Re: Terrible lunch at the Uptown Cafe

by Amy Hoover » Sat Aug 23, 2014 8:49 pm

That's unfortunate. I know how too much oil can ruin a dish. I wouldn't assume the manager and chef didn't care. It's possible it was not brought to their attention. Were you able to speak with a manager?

I had dinner there on Friday and it was quite good. The service was attentive, the food was well-prepared and delicious. My dining companions and I were discussing how they don't change things much, but that is the beauty of Uptown- consistently good food and service.
“Fear less, hope more; Eat less, chew more; Whine less, breathe more; Talk less, say more; Love more, and all good things will be yours”

Swedish Proverb
User

Ed Vermillion

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 1:32 pm

38 degrees 25' 25' N 85 degrees 36' 2' W

by Ed Vermillion » Sat Aug 23, 2014 9:30 pm

JamesandrutheatonDrake wrote:On Thursday the 21st of August, my wife and I had lunch at the Uptown Cafe. My wife ordered the polenta with veggies. She had eaten this dish on several occasions previously and it was very good. However this time it was drenched with a greasy, red oil that ruined all but the polenta. We asked the busser to make sure the waiter got a close look at this oil soaked dish. He did acknowledge that it was the normal presentation. No effort was made by the waiter or anyone else to make this right. Since the chef and the owner do not care we will not return. Just wanted everyone to know that The Uptown is slipping.

Welcome to the Forum and sorry you had an issue with the Uptown. A few points that will help you here: Your name is Jim and your other is Ruth? Your last name is eat? Or Eaton? Or Drake? People may say "Who cares what the name is?". No drive by sniping is allowed here. Full on my name Is Jim Drake and this is my opinion writing is welcome. Read the rules, people. It gets tiresome repeating them.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Sat Aug 23, 2014 9:35 pm

Ed Vermillion wrote:Welcome to the Forum and sorry you had an issue with the Uptown. A few points that will help you here: Your name is Jim and your other is Ruth? Your last name is eat? Or Eaton? Or Drake?

Be kind, Ed.

Jim logged in from Facebook, as I suggested he do. Apparently he uses a Facebook handle that incorporates his and his wife's names, and the new Facebook login picks up his moniker just is it is over there. He meant no harm, and given that Facebook accepted his doubled-up handle, I'm inclined to do the same. This is no drive-by.
no avatar
User

MarieP

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:56 pm

St. Matthews

by MarieP » Sat Aug 23, 2014 9:37 pm

I too have seen a dish that is usually delicious be ruined by too much oil. Recently, I ordered from a top-notch local restaurant, and, without giving the restaurant away, my food was somewhat cold and quite greasy. It was a dish that I often order. I did not have opportunity to get a new one, as I did not eat at at the restaurant, but I did call the establishment about it, and the cook was notified. Hopefully this is just a one time thing. Sorry to hear the kitchen was not willing to do anything in your case!
User

Jay M.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 10:09 pm

by Jay M. » Sun Aug 24, 2014 10:43 am

Amy Hoover wrote:That's unfortunate. I know how too much oil can ruin a dish. I wouldn't assume the manager and chef didn't care. It's possible it was not brought to their attention. Were you able to speak with a manager?

I had dinner there on Friday and it was quite good. The service was attentive, the food was well-prepared and delicious. My dining companions and I were discussing how they don't change things much, but that is the beauty of Uptown- consistently good food and service.

This.

We average one visit per month and the food is consistently good. Based on our observations (mostly dinner service), management seems engaged and servers have been there for years, so it is likely the right people were not made aware of the OP's situation.

It is a well-run, consistently good, and popular operation that flies under the foodie radar that sees only the new, "next big thing".

This Louisville Original has been around for a long time, and unlike some places with their longevity, Uptown has never resorted to "phoning it in". Here's evidence:
- They do change the menu seasonally, although they keep many of the classic, popular dishes.
- They recently added small plates options.
- They offer two daily specials.
- They offer two off-menu soup selections that change daily and are always excellent.
- They vary the wine list offerings - nothing stellar, but definitely not static.
- They periodically give the place a facelift (see recent remodeling in dining and bar areas).

I view the "...we will not return" comment from the OP as an opportunity for me to have a reduced wait time.
User

Carla G

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:01 am

by Carla G » Sun Aug 24, 2014 7:55 pm

Hey I like The Uptown Cafe as well and have had many good meals there but, the OP had a bad experience. It happens. They reported their dissatisfaction to no avail. That happens too. But I see no reason to be snarky about the OP's post here. I can sympathize with them. They reported their dissatisfaction and nothing was done. I don't think they are under any additional responsibility to spend additional time attempting to track down a hearing ear. Perhaps it was a one time only occurrence but there's no need to kill the messenger.
"She did not so much cook as assassinate food." - Storm Jameson
User

Mark R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:02 pm

Anchorage, KY

by Mark R. » Sun Aug 24, 2014 8:32 pm

I was thinking the same thing Carla. Just because others have had a good meal there doesn't mean that the OP and others haven't had bad ones there. Many places have an off day or an off service. What bothers me the most is the fact that the restaurant didn't respond to the concerns of the patron, something I expect of every restaurant.
Written using Dragon NaturallySpeaking

"Life is short. Drink the good wine first"
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Sun Aug 24, 2014 8:32 pm

Carla G wrote:Perhaps it was a one time only occurrence but there's no need to kill the messenger.

I've been wondering about that, too. It isn't like us to be mean to newbies. :( I think Ed was concerned because Jim's "handle" looks funny, but that's an artifact of the new Facebook login and him having an unusual Facebook moniker.)
User

Amy Hoover

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:27 pm

Butchertown

by Amy Hoover » Mon Aug 25, 2014 1:00 am

I certainly wasn't trying to "kill the messenger." I just didn't agree with the assumption that the chef and management didn't care that there was an issue. I've often found that service staff won't necessarily involve management unless the guest specifically requests it. (not that I agree with handling things that way, just saying that management usually does care when they are aware)
“Fear less, hope more; Eat less, chew more; Whine less, breathe more; Talk less, say more; Love more, and all good things will be yours”

Swedish Proverb
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Mon Aug 25, 2014 7:06 am

Amy Hoover wrote:I certainly wasn't trying to "kill the messenger." I just didn't agree with the assumption that the chef and management didn't care that there was an issue. I've often found that service staff won't necessarily involve management unless the guest specifically requests it. (not that I agree with handling things that way, just saying that management usually does care when they are aware)

No, Amy, that's fine. There were a couple of posts that I felt seemed a little more aimed at ... well, maybe beating up on the messenger a little bit ... and I just wanted to say, "Hey! Let's not be like that." But civil disagreement and honest discussion? That's fine, has been and will continue to be. :)