Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

Johnny V's Visit

User

KlausThiesen

{ RANK }

Just got here

Thu Jul 31, 2014 12:42 pm

Middletown

Johnny V's Visit

by KlausThiesen » Sat Aug 23, 2014 1:56 pm

I had read many good Yelp reviews about Johnny V’s in J-town and decided to try it. It appears to be a locals favorite. Be sure to park in the back. The lot entrance is just west of Watterson Tr. on Taylorsville Rd. I arrived around 5:15pm on Friday and found plenty of parking spaces. JV’s is a long narrow room with an entrance on each end. The front entrance is on the newly refreshed Watterson Tr. There is a long bar, a centrally located kitchen and table/booth area organized sequentially.

Since my friend had not yet arrived, I sat at the bar (the only patron) and ordered a draught beer. Their beer selection is excellent and they offer a variety of craft beers on tap. I had a Sweet Water IPA. They had Hoptimus, Lagunitas, BBC, and many more. Service was really excellent and they rotate some new beers in on a regular basis.

When my friend arrived, we sat down at a booth to have dinner. My expectations were high since some of the reviews I had read were outrageously positive. One reviewer said he cried when he discovered his new home was outside of JV’s delivery area. Here’s my thoughts:

Menu is very limited. It consists of sandwiches, a few entrees and pizzas. Prices are very low and portions are ample. We had french fries for an appetizer. I ordered the Veal Parmesan, my friend the Spiede Chicken Sub and we had a couple of side salads. For dessert, I had the cannoli, my friend the cheese cake.

Fries were served hot and were seasoned to my liking, not greasy and were tasty. Salad with the tomato basal vinaigrette was mostly lettuce with a little tomato and onion but was fresh, crisp and the dressing was good. My friend must have liked his Spiede because it was gone before I knew it and his cheese cake disappeared in short order. I was not quite so fortunate.

Within 5 minutes of starting our salads, the main course was delivered. For me this consisted of a rectangular piece of breaded veal cutlet (apparently deep fried) on a mound of spaghetti in a bowl with marinara sauce and cheese along with a couple small pieces of ciabatta bread on the sides of the bowl. Must of taken all of two or three minutes to prep.

I finished the meat and left most of the pasta. The pasta and sauce unremarkable, the veal was your standard compressed type breaded, probably purchased frozen patty. It was edible.

The dessert cannoli however was in a category that stands alone. I have never tasted a sweeter dessert in my life. If you took a bowl, mounded up some pure cane sugar, drizzled it with chocolate syrup, added some chocolate chips and whipped cream you might duplicate the taste. I had a few bites but could not continue because my teeth were hurting. If you eat this type fare regularly you will soon be insulin dependent.

Robert Irvine would have a field day at Johnny Vs. Having said all that, I will try them again someday as their pizzas looked good, their service is very good, the beer collection great, and the sandwiches ok. I’m thinking that it’s probably a good place to go for pizza and beer.

In conclusion, dinner for two with three beers and desserts came to about $45 with tip $55. As we were leaving - the place was filling up and business good.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Re: Johnny V's Visit

by Robin Garr » Sat Aug 23, 2014 2:00 pm

Thanks for the even-handed report, Klaus! I have to confess that I haven't ever gotten out to Johnny V's. Your detailed review puts us in the picture.
User

Mark R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:02 pm

Anchorage, KY

by Mark R. » Sat Aug 23, 2014 3:12 pm

I love your comment about Robert Irvine having a ball there! We thought the same thing a couple times we ate there. This base could certainly use some brightening up. I'm sure he would also have a field day with the menu. We've had the piece of there, it's pretty good, kind of a pseudo-New York style. There are much better New York style pizza in town such as Old-School New York and Paplino's11.[ but the ones here aren't bad.
Written using Dragon NaturallySpeaking

"Life is short. Drink the good wine first"
User

RonnieD

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Aug 23, 2007 12:09 pm

The rolling acres of Henry County

by RonnieD » Sat Aug 23, 2014 4:21 pm

Robin Garr wrote:Thanks for the even-handed report, Klaus! I have to confess that I haven't ever gotten out to Johnny V's. Your detailed review puts us in the picture.

Robin, maybe you and Nancy should wander over there next week... :lol: :lol:
Ronnie Dingman
Chef Consultant
The Farm
La Center, KY
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Sat Aug 23, 2014 4:35 pm

RonnieD wrote:Robin, maybe you and Nancy should wander over there next week... :lol: :lol:

:twisted:
no avatar
User

Alanna H

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 8:11 pm

Colorado Springs

by Alanna H » Sat Aug 23, 2014 6:47 pm

Up until 18 months ago we lived about 2 blocks from Johnny V's and could easily walk there. I really wanted to support a local neighborhood place. The decorating and interior left a bit to be desired. At least update the booth cushions that tended to have large rips and tears, because that's really not comfortable on the back of one's thighs.
The pricing wasn't bad here, but the food sure was. Being that it was so close to home we ended up giving it a lot more chances than someplace that I would have to take the time to drive to. We tried multiple things on the menu. Lasagna came out burnt. Pasta sauces were very bland. Hamburger was dry and dull, and reeked of 'frozen-not-fresh'. The pizza was accepted by my kids, but nothing to write home about. The breaded pork tenderloin sandwich was so dry and flavorless I thought I was eating cardboard. I actually sent it back and told the server I couldn't eat it (something I'd never done before). She told me that she understood; that they got a lot of complaints about it and she didn't know why it was still on the menu.

The one redeeming thing that kept us coming back- the fried garlic knots! Absolutely delicious, and even now when we occasionally find ourselves in that J-Town intersection my son will look forlornly over at Johnny V's window and say, "Remember the garlic knots?"
no avatar
User

MarieP

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:56 pm

St. Matthews

by MarieP » Sat Aug 23, 2014 9:26 pm

I went there a few years back. and I really enjoyed their Italian hot brown!