Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

Nanaimo Bars

no avatar
User

Leann C

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Mar 04, 2007 3:42 pm

Highlands

Nanaimo Bars

by Leann C » Sun Dec 16, 2007 9:00 pm

Does anyone know where I can purchase Nanaimo bars in Louisville? My husband and I used to buy them at the Highland's Kroger deli. However, they stopped selling them as soon as we became fully and completely addicted.
no avatar
User

Gayle DeM

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Apr 08, 2007 3:42 pm

by Gayle DeM » Mon Dec 17, 2007 12:07 am

Nanaimo Bars are a favorite Canadian sweet named after a town in British Columbia. I remember them fondly from my year in Ontario. I’m sure they were a staple of every bakery I visited. I didn’t realize that they had surfaced down here. I am including three Canadian web sites with the recipe and the folklore that goes with the bars. If you can’t find them in town, maybe you can make them. The recipe doesn’t sound too complicated, no baking is involved; most of the time is given over to chilling in the refrigerator.

http://www.nanaimo.ca/visitors/index_inside.asp?id=189

http://www.science.uva.nl/~mes/recipe/usenet/nanaimo-bars-1.html

http://www.mojographix.com/nanaimo_bar_recipes.htm
no avatar
User

Gretchen D.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 11:18 pm

the Highlands

Re: Nanaimo Bars

by Gretchen D. » Mon Dec 17, 2007 9:47 am

Leann C wrote:Does anyone know where I can purchase Nanaimo bars in Louisville? ...we became fully and completely addicted.

Hey Leann... my house is a great place to get Nanaimo bars! I make a HUGE pan every holiday season, cut them into small bite size bars and freeze them. They freeze great, and then when I am craving chocolate, I thaw one out for a bit and indulge!

I had these for the first time in Whistler, B.C. and was addicted myself. My recipe results in a bar that is WAY better than store bought. There is no technical "baking" and they are not difficult to make, just slightly time consuming (which is why I make a 11x15 pan & freeze).

Private message me if you are interested in doing these yourself and I will try and get my recipe notes organized (I don't follow one specific recipe).

Good Eats, Gretchen.
Last edited by Gretchen D. on Mon Dec 17, 2007 10:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
no avatar
User

Ron Johnson

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:48 am

by Ron Johnson » Mon Dec 17, 2007 9:57 am

Gretchen, would you please post your recipe for these on the cooking forum here?
no avatar
User

Gretchen D.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 11:18 pm

the Highlands

by Gretchen D. » Mon Dec 17, 2007 11:26 am

Ron Johnson wrote:Gretchen, would you please post your recipe for these on the cooking forum here?

Posted. I have never compiled my recipe before, so if there are inconsistencies, let me know.

I kind of wish I hadn't done this, however. It's startling to see how much total butter is in this treat. I'm glad I cut them small!!!
no avatar
User

MarieP

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:56 pm

St. Matthews

by MarieP » Mon Dec 17, 2007 1:33 pm

The Founders Cafe here at work (Southern Baptist Seminary) has them. Not all the time though. But they do look very easy to make, and they are soooo delicious!
no avatar
User

Leann C

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Mar 04, 2007 3:42 pm

Highlands

by Leann C » Mon Dec 17, 2007 5:31 pm

Thanks everyone! Gretchen, thanks for the recipe. I'll probably give it a whirl tonight!