Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

Marric's in Fern Creek

no avatar
User

Richard S.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 1:47 pm

Marric's in Fern Creek

by Richard S. » Wed Aug 20, 2014 1:51 pm

Anyone know anything about this soon-to-open restaurant on Hudson Lane behind the CVS? It's in the site of a short-lived fish place.
no avatar
User

Terri Beam

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Feb 16, 2009 3:26 pm

Re: Marric's in Fern Creek

by Terri Beam » Wed Aug 20, 2014 4:11 pm

I don't know anything other than they have a Facebook page. It's not been updated since July though. Knowing the condition of the building, they probably (hopefully?) had to do some major upgrades. When it was the Fish Inn Again, I thought they served a decent product, but the building was a DUMP. I've been eyeing the place continuously while they've been working on it because I think it's about time someone brought some soul/southern cooking to Fern Creek. Of course, I know just saying "home cooking" doesn't mean much, but sometimes I want meatloaf or chicken and dumplings or real mashed potatoes that doesn't come from Cracker Barrel.

I am prone to spending much time in Tennessee, and I wish the "meat and three" concept would make more inroads here, especially with people in the kitchen who know how to cook, not just empty bags and microwave things.
User

Mark R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:02 pm

Anchorage, KY

by Mark R. » Wed Aug 20, 2014 7:31 pm

Terri Beam wrote:I wish the "meat and three" concept would make more inroads here, especially with people in the kitchen who know how to cook, not just empty bags and microwave things.

That would certainly be a welcome addition! We had a lot of those in South Carolina also in the food was always good.
Written using Dragon NaturallySpeaking

"Life is short. Drink the good wine first"
User

Steve Shade

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:53 am

by Steve Shade » Wed Aug 20, 2014 8:54 pm

Richard S. wrote:Anyone know anything about this soon-to-open restaurant on Hudson Lane behind the CVS? It's in the site of a short-lived fish place.

It is behind the Rite Aid and across from St Gabriel church/school

They have been doing quite a bit of work on it. Hope it turns out well because it is not far from me. Problem is it is fairly invisible although close to Bardstown Rd.
"Don't accept your dog's admiration as
conclusive evidence that you are wonderful."
-- Ann Landers
User

Carla G

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:01 am

by Carla G » Thu Aug 21, 2014 8:00 am

There used to be a little restaurant in FC a bit further out and on the other side of Bardstown Road. It sat in a now defunct shopping center with a hardware store. It was called The Fern Creek Cafe. It had a strong 1940s vibe to it, simple "blue plate special" sort of place. I really think a cafe like that would do well almost anyplace it opened. The timing is right for simple food, cooked from scratch, casual setting situation. This was the variety of restaurants that launched chains like Cheddars and Cracker Barrel but then substituted quick and easy microwaving for actual cooking.
"She did not so much cook as assassinate food." - Storm Jameson
User

Jay M.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 10:09 pm

by Jay M. » Thu Aug 21, 2014 9:52 pm

Mark R. wrote:That would certainly be a welcome addition! We had a lot of those in South Carolina also in the food was always good.

I used to live in SC too, Mark, and that's where I first experienced and learned to love the meat 'n three places, so I agree with you and Terri. Where were you in South Carolina?
no avatar
User

StephenWilkins

{ RANK }

Just got here

Sun Sep 21, 2014 10:18 am

Re: Marric's in Fern Creek is OPEN

by StephenWilkins » Sun Sep 21, 2014 10:22 am

The place is open for business. Breakfast, lunch, and dinner.
They are closed on Mondays.

My partner and I had dinner there last evening and it was great.
The dinner menu is typical diner food around $10 per entree.
They have a selection of beers and wines for those who like that with their meal.
Service was good and the food was wonderful, just what you would expect from a neighborhood diner.

We will be going back and taking friends with us.

Stephen W :D
no avatar
User

Iggy C

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Oct 10, 2011 9:33 am

by Iggy C » Sun Sep 21, 2014 1:18 pm

I hear you on the need for meat and threes here. Whenever I get that craving, I go to Franco's.
no avatar
User

Richard S.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 1:47 pm

by Richard S. » Sun Sep 21, 2014 9:29 pm

They really need a website or at least a Facebook page with a menu and hours.
User

Mark R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:02 pm

Anchorage, KY

by Mark R. » Sun Sep 21, 2014 11:17 pm

Jay M. wrote:
Mark R. wrote:That would certainly be a welcome addition! We had a lot of those in South Carolina also in the food was always good.

I used to live in SC too, Mark, and that's where I first experienced and learned to love the meat 'n three places, so I agree with you and Terri. Where were you in South Carolina?

Anderson and Greenville at different times. Moved here in 97 from Greenville.
Written using Dragon NaturallySpeaking

"Life is short. Drink the good wine first"