Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
no avatar
User

BrianCurl

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Jul 28, 2014 11:11 am

Authentic Jewish Deli Coming Downtown?!?!

by BrianCurl » Tue Aug 19, 2014 11:20 pm

http://insiderlouisville.com/column/wor ... tual-deli/

Evolution of Haymarket Whiskey Bar includes package sales, possibly a Jewish deli
by Steve Coomes

Matthew Landan is preparing to finish and present his dissertation for a master’s in English in the fall, but the owner of Haymarket Whiskey Bar should be standing instead for his MBA.

The founder of Derby City Espresso, a coffee shop at located 329 E. Market, Landan burned out working as the operator and sole barista at the quaint shop. Never achieving the sales he needed to survive, his cash flow also turned to ashes, so he converted that space into what became a highly regarded bourbon geek and alternative music bar.

He’s smartly continued to tweak the lineup of live music acts, added hard-to-find spirits to his voluminous collection, brought in throwback pinball machines, and taken other measures to steer the quirky-cool operation into smooth and profitable seas.

Its well-regarded status as a premier Urban Bourbon Trail stop with more than 200 whiskies available has set the crowd mix at Haymarket at 70 percent tourists and 30 percent locals. Its location near hotels helps that, to be sure.

The overall struggle to make the business a viable entity, said the affable and loquacious Landan, taught him to look for entrepreneurial opportunities, one that includes his dream of owning a Chicago-influenced Jewish delicatessen in the open space next door at 327 E. Market.

“Never in my wildest dreams did I think something like a deli would be part of my business,” said Landan, a Chicago native. “But that’s part of the dream now, something that’s a bit down the road, but in serious discussion with the landlord.” .................

(more at link above)
User

Gary Guss

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 2:18 pm

Van down by the River

Re: Authentic Jewish Deli Coming Downtown?!?!

by Gary Guss » Tue Aug 19, 2014 11:28 pm

I'd settle for a Fake Jewish Deli ... bring on the Pastrami on Rye ! Hold the Ketchup