Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

Taking A Break from HotBytes

User

Bill Veneman

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:35 pm

East End outside of the Watterson, but not afraid to travel for good grub

Taking A Break from HotBytes

by Bill Veneman » Sat Aug 16, 2014 1:28 pm

Frankly, I've had enough!

Over the course of the past few months, I have noticed a shift in HotBytes that has turned rather, for lack of a better phrase, overly and overtly argumentative. I has gotten to the point that I do not feel that I can express my opinion/feelings on a subject without being slammed by those of opposite/differing beliefs.

My recent reply about the breastfeeding issue in the latest CJ review is a prime example of this.

If expressing my honest opinion on a subject will be an open invitation for blatant and overtly biased ridicule, then I will take my opinions elsewhere, where there can be a healthy exchange of open ideas without the beating down of others

With that, I wish everyone well, and to my closest online 'foodies', you know how to find me.
If life's a Banquet, what's with all the Tofu?

Cheers!

Bill V.
User

Steve H

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Apr 17, 2008 12:27 pm

Neanderthals rock!

Re: Taking A Break from HotBytes

by Steve H » Sat Aug 16, 2014 2:10 pm

Only the last few months?
:lol:

Maybe for your swan song, you could suggest that teachers aren't saints or maybe suggest that Chik-Fil-A offers delicious food?
:shock:
:lol:
User

Mark R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:02 pm

Anchorage, KY

by Mark R. » Sat Aug 16, 2014 2:44 pm

Bill, I'm glad I wasn't one of the contributors that offended you in the breast-feeding thread. However, for many that's a very sensitive subject with dedicated supporters on both sides, which you saw demonstrated here! I truly don't believe that anyone was arguing or aiming their comments directly at you but rather they were aimed at your stance on the subject. Hopefully you will realize that and continue participating here like you always have. You have great comments and insight that we appreciate!
Written using Dragon NaturallySpeaking

"Life is short. Drink the good wine first"
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Sat Aug 16, 2014 3:50 pm

I like Mark's answer. Thanks, Mark!

Frankly, I feel that the banning of one or two serious trolls and the self-imposed exile of a couple more has raised the civility level around here, but maybe that's just me. :oops:
User

Doug Davis

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Dec 03, 2011 10:05 pm

The Highlands

by Doug Davis » Sat Aug 16, 2014 4:22 pm

Bill Veneman wrote:Frankly, I've had enough!

Over the course of the past few months, I have noticed a shift in HotBytes that has turned rather, for lack of a better phrase, overly and overtly argumentative. I has gotten to the point that I do not feel that I can express my opinion/feelings on a subject without being slammed by those of opposite/differing beliefs.

My recent reply about the breastfeeding issue in the latest CJ review is a prime example of this.

If expressing my honest opinion on a subject will be an open invitation for blatant and overtly biased ridicule, then I will take my opinions elsewhere, where there can be a healthy exchange of open ideas without the beating down of others

With that, I wish everyone well, and to my closest online 'foodies', you know how to find me.

Its your right to free speech to express your opinion. That doesnt come with a right to not be told you are wrong for holding such a view.
So feel free to express your "honest opinion" on something, just be adult enough to deal with the consequences of having done so.
I eat, therefore I am.
User

Steve P

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Sep 23, 2007 10:18 pm

by Steve P » Sat Aug 16, 2014 7:43 pm

Welcome to the Sunny Side Bill.
Stevie P...The Daddio of the Patio
User

RonnieD

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Aug 23, 2007 12:09 pm

The rolling acres of Henry County

by RonnieD » Sat Aug 16, 2014 11:00 pm

It is a shame to lose you Bill. But I know what it's like to be put under the broiler for not having the popular opinion. (see also hipsters; second hand smoke)

The only acceptable opinion on breastfeeding is, "what a wonderful and magical thing, it is so nice that there are no restrictions on it in our modern society." I thought everyone got the memo on that a few years ago. :shock:

I don't think hotbytes has gotten more argumentative. I think there are some really great topics discussed here and I think there are some really hot button issues that get discussed here that bring in strong opinions from all sides of the fence (and somehow Steve P and I end up on the same side from time to time...shudder...). But, again, I understand how it feels to have vocal members bear down on you for an opinion that doesn't mesh and how that can make you say, "no more of this. This is supposed to be a fun, social forum about loving food and local restaurants, not a place to take a beating because I don't like <insert thing here>." I do it too sometimes, but ultimately, I like the people here, even when they are wrong. :wink: I can take a break as needed and still come back. I can click on the conversations that are interesting to me and stop reading when the conversation goes off the rails.

I hope this will blow over for you and we can welcome you back with open arms at some point in the future. I value your input as, I think, do others.
Ronnie Dingman
Chef Consultant
The Farm
La Center, KY
no avatar
User

Jason G

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Aug 04, 2008 1:18 pm

by Jason G » Sat Aug 16, 2014 11:33 pm

No offense, but even the very worst threads on here are pretty civilized compared to other boards I frequent. Gotta have a thick skin on the internets. :D
no avatar
User

SilvioM

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Aug 01, 2014 11:13 pm

by SilvioM » Sun Aug 17, 2014 12:34 pm

Jason G wrote:No offense, but even the very worst threads on here are pretty civilized compared to other boards I frequent. Gotta have a thick skin on the internets. :D

I was gonna say something like this. I noticed that Bill said he is a bachelor. Given that, he may not know that for many parents like myself, this is the tamest breast-feeding discussion that I've ever read!

Back to the food....
User

Nimbus Couzin

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Sep 04, 2008 4:05 pm

by Nimbus Couzin » Sun Aug 17, 2014 10:14 pm

Yeah,
Pretty civil here. The boss guy runs a tight ship. I disappear from time to time when I get busy, but always seem to find my way back.

I find the best thing to do when forums get too "uncivil" is simply to avoid them for a bit, or just lurk and not post. By staying out of the fray, you get some perspective.

Hope to have you back!

-Nimbus
Dr. Nimbus Couzin
User

Gary Z

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Nov 11, 2009 2:05 am

by Gary Z » Sun Aug 17, 2014 10:58 pm

Nimbus Couzin wrote:
I find the best thing to do when forums get too "uncivil" is simply to avoid them for a bit, or just lurk and not post. By staying out of the fray, you get some perspective.

-Nimbus

Booooo!!! Lurking is boring. Poking the bear creates better discussion.
User

Steve Shade

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:53 am

by Steve Shade » Mon Aug 18, 2014 12:25 am

Bill ... I hope you reconsider. I would hate to lose you.
"Don't accept your dog's admiration as
conclusive evidence that you are wonderful."
-- Ann Landers
User

Carla G

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:01 am

by Carla G » Mon Aug 18, 2014 1:22 pm

Steve Shade wrote:Bill ... I hope you reconsider. I would hate to lose you.

+1
"She did not so much cook as assassinate food." - Storm Jameson
User

Deb Hall

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Mar 04, 2007 4:46 pm

Highlands , Louisville

by Deb Hall » Mon Aug 18, 2014 11:45 pm

+2

Bill,
I certainly hope my comments aren't part of the reason. You made a strong statement on your beliefs and feelings on the subject, and I did the same from a different point of view. No attack intended.
Deb
no avatar
User

Steve Kluesner

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Jul 28, 2007 2:37 pm

So. Indiana

by Steve Kluesner » Wed Aug 20, 2014 2:13 pm

It is easy for someone to be a bully on the internet. I am part of several forums for many different topics and it is the same on all of them. A few people have nothing better to do than pick apart someone posting legitimate thoughts and questions. There is no exchange of valid ideas with these people and it down right makes for a bad experience. I do believe this forum is one of the more easy going.