Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
no avatar
User

BrianCurl

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Jul 28, 2014 11:11 am

Breastfeeding and Off The Beaten Path Restaurants

by BrianCurl » Fri Aug 15, 2014 12:38 pm

I'd like to see more restaurant reviews that are off the beaten path. I noticed the Leo had a special about the West End with a lot of places I had never heard of. I hope we see more reviews from all of the reviewers that find some places that we've never heard of. Many places get reviewed 2 & 3 times. Why not find some new, off beaten path places regularly instead of every blue moon? Plus the off the beaten path places are less expensive and may appeal to a wider audience.
Last edited by BrianCurl on Sun Aug 17, 2014 12:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
no avatar
User

BrianCurl

{ RANK }

Foodie

Re: Off The Beaten Path Restaurants and Reviews

by BrianCurl » Fri Aug 15, 2014 12:42 pm

I've even got a suggestion, this is a great neighborhood place and it has 90% rating on urban spoon with quite a few votes.

http://www.urbanspoon.com/r/51/550152/restaurant/Okolona/Borromeos-Pizza-and-Italian-Louisville

http://borromeos.com/

I had $5 spaghetti and meatballs there, special on Wednesday's and they are very good! $5 subs on Tuesdays I think.
no avatar
User

James Natsis

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Jun 05, 2007 2:34 pm

by James Natsis » Fri Aug 15, 2014 2:13 pm

Southern Express Soul Food.

I stumbled across this place this afternoon on Oak St next to the Rud.
It is clean and modern with counter service and everything costs an even buck ($). They offer fried chicken, fish, and pork chops daily, and rotate items such as salisbury steak, mac and cheese, black eyed peas, pinto beans, green beans, greens, etc.

By the way, that section of old Louisville is stated for new streetscaping. Don't be surprised to see it turn the coner over the next year.
James J. Natsis
no avatar
User

BrianCurl

{ RANK }

Foodie

Re: Breastfeeding and Off The Beaten Path Restaurants

by BrianCurl » Sun Aug 17, 2014 12:56 pm

I'd like to see more off the beaten path restaurant reviews. Does anyone have any suggestions for good restaurants that haven't been reviewed a million times already?

Would breastfeeding be more accepted at these places that aren't so "uppity"?
no avatar
User

SilvioM

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Aug 01, 2014 11:13 pm

by SilvioM » Sun Aug 17, 2014 1:19 pm

I'd like to see reviews about any good places out there. I'm not sure what is/isn't on the beaten path, though, or what's been reviewed a lot and what hasn't. Any experiences would be interesting for me to read.
User

Doug Davis

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Dec 03, 2011 10:05 pm

The Highlands

by Doug Davis » Sun Aug 17, 2014 7:47 pm

James Natsis wrote:Southern Express Soul Food.

It is clean and modern with counter service and everything costs an even buck ($). They offer fried chicken, fish, and pork chops daily, and rotate items such as salisbury steak, mac and cheese, black eyed peas, pinto beans, green beans, greens, etc.

By the way, that section of old Louisville is stated for new streetscaping. Don't be surprised to see it turn the coner over the next year.

Hey! :D No holding back!

What did you have? How was it?
I eat, therefore I am.
no avatar
User

BrianCurl

{ RANK }

Foodie

by BrianCurl » Sun Aug 17, 2014 8:20 pm

SilvioM wrote:I'd like to see reviews about any good places out there. I'm not sure what is/isn't on the beaten path, though, or what's been reviewed a lot and what hasn't. Any experiences would be interesting for me to read.

Check this place out:
Mi Preferida Supermercado

4752 Bardstown Rd, Louisville, KY 40218

(502) 671-0009

Open today · 10:00 am – 9:00 pm

Good and fast little Mexican restaurant at the back right hand corner of the market. Good ceviche and lengua. Roasted jalapeno peppers are good. Lots of free condiments like pickled peppers, radishes, avocado, Gaucamole. Menudo, dinner plates and all of the Mexican staples - tacos, burritos, etc. Inexpensive.

Plus get some Mexican groceries after eating.

Breast feeding is fine there I think in case that applies to you.
no avatar
User

BrianCurl

{ RANK }

Foodie

by BrianCurl » Sun Aug 17, 2014 8:21 pm

Doug Davis wrote:
James Natsis wrote:Southern Express Soul Food.

Hey! :D No holding back!

What did you have? How was it?

I've tried them, they are not bad for the price. Well seasoned.
no avatar
User

BrianCurl

{ RANK }

Foodie

by BrianCurl » Sun Aug 17, 2014 8:25 pm

This place is GOOD Soulfood!

40 acres and a Mule

http://www.yelp.com/biz/40-acres-and-a- ... louisville

from yelp review
Take out real food behind bullet proof plexiglass. No tables for sitting, but do you need it for this?
Cooked cabbage
Real Mac and cheese
Ribs (wet style)
Greens
Beans
Cornbread
Daily specials (think fish on Friday)
Veggie plate
Fried and baked chicken
Pies
Cakes
Quick
Large portions
Decor harkens back to segregation (hence the witty name)
"Authentic" (quotes added because I'm pretty sure me using that term shows covert racism-none meant)
Welcoming
Huge selection of real food

Food: cornbread is sweet. But it's done like my grandmother made it: hoe cakes!
Sweet potatoes are beautifully seasoned with an emphasis on ginger and nutmeg. Still very sweet.
Salmon croquettes: a good blend on flavors (based on peer tasting).
Greens are flavored well with not too much salt.
Brown beans could be better. A little "canned" tasting. But, with the cornbread, oh my! Green beans are about average. I'd have gone with Italian flat beans.

The ribs fall off the bone. I couldn't get a full review because of the smiles! Same with the Mac and cheese-stellar.

And here's why it's a five: nothing was over or undercooked, nothing was weary of the steam table (good food management), and the servings were ample.
Of course, nothing is better than my mom's cooking, but this will do in a pinch.
no avatar
User

BrianCurl

{ RANK }

Foodie

by BrianCurl » Sun Aug 17, 2014 8:27 pm

This is ran by the folks from the old Jay's Cafeteria, Good!

http://www.yelp.com/biz/francos-restaur ... louisville

Daryl W.
Daryl W.
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
2 friends
4 reviews
Share review
Compliment
Send message
Follow Daryl W.
5.0 star rating 4/6/2014
Awesome fried chicken, green beans and corn pudding. Others in our party had ribs and fried catfish. We all had plenty to eat at a great price. Friendly staff and lots of good choices!

Was this review …?

Useful 1 Funny Cool
Paula T.
Paula T.
Louisville, KY
0 friends
11 reviews
Share review
Compliment
Send message
Follow Paula T.
4.0 star rating 5/8/2014
Enjoyed the southern comfort food and friendly
atmosphere. Left full and plan to come back soon.

Was this review …?

Useful Funny Cool
Tj P.
Tj P.
Louisville, KY
Elite ’14
76 friends
219 reviews
Share review
Compliment
Send message
Follow Tj P.
4.0 star rating 9/30/2013
1 check-in
Listed in The 2013 Yelp 100 Challenge
I'd been wanting to try Franco's for years as I've passed by this Dixie Hwy establishment more times than I can tell.

So, after picking up my oldest son after a dental appointment, why not try out that new filling on some good ol' home cooking? Seemed like a plan at the time.

Franco's is located just off Dixie Hwy, going toward Shively if you're coming off the Watterson (aka Shawnee Expressway on this end of town). The signage is noticeable as is the distinct red shingled roof, so you shouldn't miss it.

The interior is spacious and this is cafeteria-style dining, so you might want to call ahead for the day's specials. However, all the food is good so it's unlikely you'll pick a bad day. This is no-frills eating, good food, friendly counter service but the presentation is based on taste only, and if you like your food based on the way grandma used to make it, Franco's presents just fine. I give it 3.5 stars, leaning to the 4.

Was this review …?

Useful 2 Funny Cool 1
Melencia J.
Melencia J.
Augusta, GA
Elite ’14
40 friends
69 reviews
Share review
Compliment
Send message
Follow Melencia J.
5.0 star rating 10/25/2013
1 check-in
My first stop off the airplane. Awesome fried catfish dinner with potatoes. Definitely a local spot with local flare. From the counter attendants yelling from behind the counter to the owner sitting in the dining area eating with his old school buddies...a great spot for a quick soul food lunch.However, be prepared to leave smelling like fried chicken and cornbread.

Was this review …?

Useful 2 Funny 1 Cool 2
Kim H.
Kim H.
Houston, TX
1 friend
18 reviews
Share review
Compliment
Send message
Follow Kim H.
5.0 star rating 8/12/2013
Good ole soul homecoooking! The pork chops and roast beef were great along with all the sides. We had Mac n cheese, green beans, yams, corn bread all were just right. The atmosphere was nice and friendly! Good food good prices!

Roat beef with gravy! Roat beef with gravy! Roat beef with gravy!

Sample of their food and servings. The yams were great! Sample of their food and servings. The yams were great! Sample of their food and servings. The yams were great!
Was this review …?

Useful 2 Funny Cool
S R.
S R.
Chicago, IL
0 friends
8 reviews
Share review
Compliment
Send message
Follow S R.
5.0 star rating 3/30/2013
First to Review
I can't believe I am the first person to review this place on Yelp, much less that I had to add the listing myself. This place has by far the best soul food in this city. The collard greens and brisket are amazing. Only Smoketown USA compares in terms of brisket.

Was this review …?