Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
User

RonnieD

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Aug 23, 2007 12:09 pm

The rolling acres of Henry County

Re: No apology from CJ's Miller for breast-feeding gaffe

by RonnieD » Sat Aug 16, 2014 11:12 pm

breast feeding = holding hands?
breast feeding = urination?

This thread has it all!

It's super tricky to find an equivocation that works here, isn't it? The tautology must include the exposure of a secondary sexual characteristic for a non-sexual function, in which there is some appreciable benefit to a conspecific. So far we have NOT found a winner. Just finding another culturally acceptable activity that had a previous taboo doesn't really work because there is too much nuance. Likewise, finding another bodily function doesn't work either for the same reason.

The search continues, but I find the method of argument absolutely fascinating.
Ronnie Dingman
Chef Consultant
The Farm
La Center, KY
User

Marsha L.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 2:56 pm

Louisville, KY

by Marsha L. » Sun Aug 17, 2014 10:44 am

I was going more for the "don't do it because it disgusts ME personally - who cares what the rest of society has decided?" angle.
Marsha Lynch
LEO columnist, free range cook/food writer/food stylist
no avatar
User

Trisha W

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Aug 17, 2008 8:51 am

by Trisha W » Sun Aug 17, 2014 11:23 am

I am currently breastfeeding my fourth son. I'd LOVE for someone to come up to me and tell me to stop. I had that happen when I was young with my first two. The old lady came up to me while I was nursing in a restaurant WITH a cover, and told me that it wasn't appropriate. I politely told her what wasn't appropriate was for HER to come up to me and try to tell me what I could and could not do since (1) she wasn't my mother, (2) she wasn't paying my bills, (3) I was paying for my dinner just as she was, and (4) she should go back to her cave.
Yes, I was rude. I HATE people telling me I should go to the bathroom to feed my baby. Really? OSHA even has regulations about eating in a bathroom. I should have fed him before I came? Yep, did that but you see he has a stomach and mind of his own....sometimes he gets hungry again. Cover up? Sure...I'll try. I do it pretty well. I always wear shirts that are larger than need be and flowly just for that reason BECAUSE he hates having his head covered up with a blanket or even a commercial breastfeeding cover. I don't flop my boob out, wave it around, and announce that I'm feeding my child. Believe me, when I feed him you see ALOT less boob than most of the hoochies in the "nice" restaurants wearing shirts that present their breasts for their dining companions pleasure.
We DO go out to nice places, by the way. We took Gabriel to TPD at 4 months. He was not a distraction to anyone.
Please...please feel free to come up to me.
no avatar
User

Trisha W

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Aug 17, 2008 8:51 am

by Trisha W » Sun Aug 17, 2014 11:28 am

Bill Veneman wrote:Where I welcome a healthy debate on a viable subject (and yes this is a viable subject), some of the comments flying around have been a bit harsh.

I have not intended to get the pro-breastfeeding factions up in arms at all, however, I was just expressing the opinion of those (including myself) who'd much rather have such functions handled in the privacy of one's own home (is this not one of the primary reasons for the development of the express pumps?).

No...your public comfort is NOT the reason for breast pumps. Breast pumps are for working mothers that have to return to their jobs or for use with the baby that can't latch due to either tongue tie/lip tie or the mom having inverted nipples or for the mother that had breast reduction and doesn't have good flow or for the mother who needs to also supplement with formula because she can't make enough breast milk and she mixes the two. They are not made so that the mother can go out in public. Geez, Bill.....
User

Deb Hall

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Mar 04, 2007 4:46 pm

Highlands , Louisville

by Deb Hall » Sun Aug 17, 2014 3:26 pm

Re: your first post- Atta girl, Trisha! :D ( the second is also a great education for those not familiar).

Personally I was always very discreet nursing in public and my children were okay with this. I would have been highly embarrassed if someone had said something to me. ( but that's my own issue) . Just trying to make the point that saying something negative to someone in any of those situations because YOU don't agree with it is wrong and rude.
Deb
User

RonnieD

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Aug 23, 2007 12:09 pm

The rolling acres of Henry County

by RonnieD » Sun Aug 17, 2014 8:08 pm

Bill, if perchance you are still lurking about, is it possible that seeing a breastfeeding mother makes you feel uncomfortable and perhaps maybe, even a little awkward? Could that be the source of your opinions regarding covering up vs. full frontal toplessness during breastfeeding? Less of a wrong and right issue, and more of a seeing X makes me uncomfortable/awkward? I think we can all relate to seeing something in public that makes us feel awkward. (no matter what it was or its legality) And seeing something that makes you uncomfortable gives you the ability to remove yourself from that thing. Perhaps you could switch seats so that your back is to the thing that makes you uncomfortable. You can take control of the situation without imposing on someone who is doing the thing that makes you uncomfortable. Especially when it is something they have every right to do.
Ronnie Dingman
Chef Consultant
The Farm
La Center, KY
User

Marsha L.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 2:56 pm

Louisville, KY

by Marsha L. » Sun Aug 17, 2014 8:29 pm

Or, you know, you could just get used to it.
Marsha Lynch
LEO columnist, free range cook/food writer/food stylist
User

Deb Hall

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Mar 04, 2007 4:46 pm

Highlands , Louisville

by Deb Hall » Sun Aug 17, 2014 8:53 pm

Totally agree with Ronnie, and understand if it makes folks who aren't used to it uncomfortable. It is only the saying something to the mother that is a concern. Asking the server quietly to be seated at another table is another great solution. I been known to do that if seated closer than I want to a partying table or a table of out-of- control kids.
User

Carla G

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:01 am

by Carla G » Mon Aug 18, 2014 1:40 pm

All of these are great responses. And, I think, very fair.
I will only add one comment...
"For all that's holy and right with the world please please PLEASE don't ever make me use a breast pump again. " and never pitch out that suggestion if you've never had to use one yourself.
"She did not so much cook as assassinate food." - Storm Jameson
User

DanB

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Sep 06, 2007 7:47 am

San Francisco

by DanB » Fri Aug 22, 2014 8:33 am

"I was raised in a time of restraint, manors, and consideration of ..."

Unintentionally funny.
Previous