Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
User

Antonia L

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Sep 19, 2008 10:28 am

Cherokee Triangle

Re: No apology from CJ's Miller for breast-feeding gaffe

by Antonia L » Fri Aug 15, 2014 3:00 pm

RonnieD wrote:So I see "Roasted Bill" is on the menu for tonight. I take mine medium rare, please.

:shock:

Why bother? He drew a direct comparison from urination to breastfeeding.
no avatar
User

Richard S.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 1:47 pm

by Richard S. » Fri Aug 15, 2014 3:04 pm

Since this review sparked more interest in the Courier Journal than we've seen in years, the conspiratorial side of me wonders if it wasn't intentional.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Fri Aug 15, 2014 3:15 pm

Richard S. wrote:Since this review sparked more interest in the Courier Journal than we've seen in years, the conspiratorial side of me wonders if it wasn't intentional.

Possibly, but if so, it shows even greater stupidity that I already assign to the CJ's management. "Hey, let's piss off a few hundred people and see how that works out!" :shock:
User

Steve H

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Apr 17, 2008 12:27 pm

Neanderthals rock!

by Steve H » Fri Aug 15, 2014 4:17 pm

It should be okay to breast feed in any restaurant where small children are welcome. Oakroom? No. Palermo Viejo? Yes.

I'm not politically correct either. There's nothing comparable between breast feeding and urination. Just the fact that a suckling infant is a point of controversy and can trigger revulsion should tell us something... And if anyone figures it out, let me know what that is.
:lol:
User

Bill Veneman

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:35 pm

East End outside of the Watterson, but not afraid to travel for good grub

by Bill Veneman » Fri Aug 15, 2014 5:27 pm

I must say I was not comparing urination to breastfeeding, however, it has been taken way out of context. I was comparing a breast to a penis (both natural appendages and have a natural function) and that was the only comparison I was making. I'm not trying to win a popularity contest, that is evident.

And if I am exposed to a breastfeeding mother, I will ask her nicely to refrain from that in a public place, or at least in my line of sight. I was raised in a time of restraint, manors, and consideration of others in a public setting. That being said, I do have my own set of values. You probably won't agree with them (holding doors open for ladies, saying please and thank you, holding one accountable for their own actions, etc.). I'm old school in the belief that there are certain things that should be done in private, and breastfeeding is one of them.

The last thing I want to see when I go out to dinner is a breastfeeding mother that does not have the courtesy to consider those around her. I honestly don't care what any establishment rules, law, or such have to say. That is my opinion, and as a tax paying, law abiding, voting, and responsible adult, I feel I have the right to make my positions clear.
If life's a Banquet, what's with all the Tofu?

Cheers!

Bill V.
User

Doug Davis

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Dec 03, 2011 10:05 pm

The Highlands

by Doug Davis » Fri Aug 15, 2014 8:52 pm

Bill Veneman wrote:
2) I know that breast feeding is a force of nature....however, so is urination. And I for one am not going to "whip it out" in public for the sake of freedom, hence, I feel that breast feeding should be treated with the same bit of restrain and decorum.

HOWEVER, don't force your views on me. I will protest.

#1. Its not exposing one's genital's or getting rid of waste. Its feeding a child.

#2. Urinating in public is illegal. Breastfeeding is specifically PROTECTED by the law.

#3. Yes, I will in fact force my view on you, as will the state legislators, as breastfeeding is again protected by LAW.

Have you ever heard the old saying, "tis better to sit in silence and be thought an idiot, than open your mouth and confirm it?" You would have done well to heed that advice in this instance.

And if I am exposed to a breastfeeding mother, I will ask her nicely to refrain from that in a public place, or at least in my line of sight.

Then you will be breaking the law. And if its my wife I will kindly tell you so, and what you can do with your "opinion".
I eat, therefore I am.
no avatar
User

SilvioM

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Aug 01, 2014 11:13 pm

by SilvioM » Fri Aug 15, 2014 9:43 pm

Bill Veneman wrote:The last thing I want to see when I go out to dinner is a breastfeeding mother that does not have the courtesy to consider those around her.

That's that "last thing" you want to see? I think you lack imagination. :D

Breast, penis, etc..... At the end of the day, none of them have a lick <ahem> to do with Palermo Viejo.
no avatar
User

Nora Boyle

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Mar 03, 2007 2:24 pm

Clifton

by Nora Boyle » Fri Aug 15, 2014 11:01 pm

+1 to the above.
My kid nursed up and beyond 14 months. Yeah, tmi. The point is I had a right to go out and spend some $$ and live a normal life. Do you really think that if you are a nursing mom you should not only police your life prior to conception but stay huddled in an apartment to feed like a hobbit until the kid can be on his own? C'mon bill. Some of us need a life.
User

Deb Hall

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Mar 04, 2007 4:46 pm

Highlands , Louisville

by Deb Hall » Sat Aug 16, 2014 12:19 pm

Bill,
I consider you a friend. I know you to be a warm- hearted caring person, but you would be wrong to do this:

"And if I am exposed to a breastfeeding mother, I will ask her nicely to refrain from that in a public place, or at least in my line of sight"

While I understand you were not raised this way, times have changed ( thank God! ). Saying this to a nursing mother is no different in my mind than interrupting the parents of a disabled child to admonish them that their noisy eating offends you, or telling a gay couple that their public display of affection at the table next to you is offensive.

Breast feeding in public (without cover) is legal for a reason. I know that it's unfamiliar to you as you never did it or raised children, but it's food for a baby, and many infants and babies do not like to have something on their head while eating. Hopefully the C-J's major gaffe is helping people gain more tolerance on the subject.
Deb
no avatar
User

Rob Coffey

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Feb 06, 2008 12:17 pm

by Rob Coffey » Sat Aug 16, 2014 1:04 pm

Doug Davis wrote:
And if I am exposed to a breastfeeding mother, I will ask her nicely to refrain from that in a public place, or at least in my line of sight.

Then you will be breaking the law. And if its my wife I will kindly tell you so, and what you can do with your "opinion".

Im pretty sure one customer asking another to cover up isnt breaking the law.
User

Bill Veneman

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:35 pm

East End outside of the Watterson, but not afraid to travel for good grub

by Bill Veneman » Sat Aug 16, 2014 1:19 pm

Where I welcome a healthy debate on a viable subject (and yes this is a viable subject), some of the comments flying around have been a bit harsh.

I have not intended to get the pro-breastfeeding factions up in arms at all, however, I was just expressing the opinion of those (including myself) who'd much rather have such functions handled in the privacy of one's own home (is this not one of the primary reasons for the development of the express pumps?). Those who know me well know that I can be very set in my opinions, and it takes a convincing argument to change my mind. Yes, there are the required laws/edicts that allow breastfeeding in public, all I am saying is if you must, please be discreet about it.

My whole point is there is always two sides to every issue. I have never damned the fact that breastfeeding is the best for a newborn to a certain point in life (yes, I have read the supporting reports). All I am saying is discretion is the better part of valor in delicate situations. I am not trying to belittle beliefs, however, I will not be belittled for mine as well. Quid Pro Quo!
If life's a Banquet, what's with all the Tofu?

Cheers!

Bill V.
User

Marsha L.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 2:56 pm

Louisville, KY

by Marsha L. » Sat Aug 16, 2014 3:52 pm

Bill, if you're still reading: not to pile on, but I've sort of been wanting to say this since yesterday. Let's just say, a hypothetical person who is a supporter of LGBT rights, read this hypothetical post from someone they consider a friend:

And if I am exposed to two men holding hands, I will ask them nicely to refrain from that in a public place, or at least in my line of sight. I was raised in a time of restraint, manors, and consideration of others in a public setting. That being said, I do have my own set of values. You probably won't agree with them (holding doors open for ladies, saying please and thank you, holding one accountable for their own actions, etc.). I'm old school in the belief that there are certain things that should be done in private, and two men holding hands is one of them.

The last thing I want to see when I go out to dinner is two men holding hands that do not have the courtesy to consider those around them. I honestly don't care what any establishment rules, law, or such have to say. That is my opinion, and as a tax paying, law abiding, voting, and responsible adult, I feel I have the right to make my positions clear.

Sounds awful, out-of-touch, and horribly unfair and judgmental, doesn't it?
Marsha Lynch
LEO columnist, free range cook/food writer/food stylist
User

Doug Davis

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Dec 03, 2011 10:05 pm

The Highlands

by Doug Davis » Sat Aug 16, 2014 4:19 pm

Marsha L. wrote:Sounds awful, out-of-touch, and horribly unfair and judgmental, doesn't it?

+1
I eat, therefore I am.
User

Deb Hall

{ RANK }

Foodie

Highlands , Louisville

by Deb Hall » Sat Aug 16, 2014 8:52 pm

Thanks, Marsha. That was basically my point.. :)
User

Deb Hall

{ RANK }

Foodie

Highlands , Louisville

by Deb Hall » Sat Aug 16, 2014 8:57 pm

Rob,
It not being illegal to say something, doesn't mean it's not rude to say it. You can have a different opinion, but saying it to the mother next to you is rude- as would be the other statements. Hopefully we are more tolerant and thoughtful of others than that.
Deb
PreviousNext