Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

No apology from CJ's Miller for breast-feeding gaffe

by Robin Garr » Thu Aug 14, 2014 3:40 pm

So, the CJ new reviewer won’t apologize for her comments about breast-feeding in today’s review. What do you think? Does this response do it for you?
https://www.facebook.com/courierjournal ... 2894516993

Nancy Miller wrote:In no way did I shame the mother. I did, however, suggest that other diners might not “welcome being that close to what is undeniably a natural and loving bonding experience.” Never did I mention shame nor did I intend it even though a considerable number of people are insisting that was my intention.

I am not advocating that mothers avoid going out in public while breastfeeding. I wholeheartedly support the law that states they have the right to do so, but I do not think it is unreasonable to assume that not everyone wants to watch it. Nor was I advocating placing baby and breast under several layers of blankets. A scarf would do the trick and wouldn’t affect the baby in the least.

Several people called for me to apologize to the mother, other nursing mothers and, I assume, breasts in general. Since I did not shame or attack the mother, there is no apology needed and I don’t offer one.

Many of those same people said I should put a blanket or towel over my head when I eat in a restaurant. I’m planning on going out to dinner tonight. Their comments give an entirely new meaning to the question, ‘What to wear?’”
no avatar
User

Antonia L

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Sep 19, 2008 10:28 am

Cherokee Triangle

Re: No apology from CJ's Miller for breast-feeding gaffe

by Antonia L » Thu Aug 14, 2014 4:16 pm

Totally tone-deaf. Makes the situation worse.

Some people chew with their mouths open. I find that disgusting and it makes me uncomfortable, but have never considered throwing a tablecloth over their heads to mask their mastication from my view. I simply LOOK AWAY.
no avatar
User

Andrew Mellman

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:33 am

Louisville

by Andrew Mellman » Thu Aug 14, 2014 4:46 pm

First and foremost, I think the comments were stupid in that they did not belong in a restaurant review.

Beyond that, however, if one were to ignore her editorializing (I know, impossible to do) she was trying to make a point:

"Palermo Viejo is the kind of place where guests feel comfortable to be themselves and revel in the togetherness that's fostered by a much beloved neighborhood restaurant"

The point was a good one; the example of a breastfeeding mother may even have been appropriate as an example; the editorializing about covering up was uncalled for. Give her time, and I think she'll do some good reviews!
Andrew Mellman
no avatar
User

Will Crawford

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 3:51 pm

by Will Crawford » Thu Aug 14, 2014 5:05 pm

Ridiculous. Why bother with the comment. I'm tired of her writing already. The Courier is on its last gasp.
Will Crawford
no avatar
User

Mark R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:02 pm

Anchorage, KY

by Mark R. » Thu Aug 14, 2014 5:11 pm

Will Crawford wrote:Ridiculous. Why bother with the comment. I'm tired of her writing already. The Courier is on its last gasp.

It certainly has been in decline for a long time and this is just another example of that. We really need to start a pool picking when they will publish their last issue! Unfortunately, the food and wine reviews while not as good as they used to be are still better than most of the paper.
Written using Dragon NaturallySpeaking

"Life is short. Drink the good wine first"
no avatar
User

Dan E

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Jul 21, 2010 7:35 am

by Dan E » Thu Aug 14, 2014 5:31 pm

After reading the level of vitriol here, I thought the comments would be much more inflammatory. I guess I am just not as good at being offended as the rest of you. That said, the comments do seem unnecessary for a restaurant review. I couldn't care less about the practice itself, but can understand why it would be off-putting to others. Just my thoughts. Please don't me angry with me, as I am openly pro-breast.
no avatar
User

SilvioM

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Aug 01, 2014 11:13 pm

by SilvioM » Thu Aug 14, 2014 5:39 pm

Andrew Mellman wrote:First and foremost, I think the comments were stupid in that they did not belong in a restaurant review.

I agree. Her error, as well as the editor's for keeping it in the review.

As for Palermo, I live less than a mile from the place and I've not been in ten years. Not sure why, but I should go back. Gotta stop trying every new place and appreciate the tried and true.
no avatar
User

Deb Hall

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Mar 04, 2007 4:46 pm

Highlands , Louisville

by Deb Hall » Thu Aug 14, 2014 8:29 pm

Agree with Antonia. The original mention was inappropriate- the response/ explanation ridiculous.

Even in our conservative state, it's the Law that breast feeding-uncovered- in public is a right. If you don't like public breast feeding, then don't look ( and ps. get over it). Mentioning that the mother should have thought to bring a coverup IS shaming, particularly in a supposedly legitimate news source. And somehow Nancy's feelings are more important than a mother or her child who is trying to eat? What kind of message is this sending to women/ girls who are debating trying breast feeding to give their child a healthy start? Huge PR and credibility gaffe.
Deb
no avatar
User

RobYoder

{ RANK }

Just got here

Thu Jan 08, 2009 1:51 pm

by RobYoder » Thu Aug 14, 2014 10:31 pm

Agreed with the sentiments above. For me it wasn't that I agreed or disagreed with her position, it was that the paragraph was as out of place in a culinary review as would have been a paragraph describing the car she drove in to get there.
no avatar
User

Gary Z

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Nov 11, 2009 2:05 am

by Gary Z » Thu Aug 14, 2014 10:36 pm

Deb Hall wrote:
Even in our conservative state, it's the Law that breast feeding-uncovered- in public is a right. If you don't like public breast feeding, then don't look ( and ps. get over it).
Deb

Smoking outdoors is also the Law but that doesn't quiet the whiners.
no avatar
User

Gary Z

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Nov 11, 2009 2:05 am

by Gary Z » Thu Aug 14, 2014 10:54 pm

Also, this reviewing the reviewer thing is getting old. It would be different if a forumite posted an opinion about a particular column but all these threads are started by you, Robin. I'm not going to say you have an agenda (like others have suggested) but I never saw you doing this with Riegler, Rosen or even Coomes.
no avatar
User

Doug Davis

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Dec 03, 2011 10:05 pm

The Highlands

by Doug Davis » Thu Aug 14, 2014 11:59 pm

So here is a thought/question. Which is worse?
#1. She is an insensitive writer, who for supposedly working in PR is incredibly tone deaf to her audience and the message she is projecting. And as for the CJ they have fallen so far down in their editing ability as an operating paper that no one caught her mistake. But the fault lies entirely with her.

or....

#2. She was hired to review food and write articles and to knowingly throw out dog whistles and click bait in a blatant attempt by CJ management to increase ad revenue through their web portal? So the fault lies entirely with the CJ.

Will Crawford wrote:Ridiculous. Why bother with the comment. I'm tired of her writing already. The Courier is on its last gasp.

Maybe Aaron should buy the CJ as well. Seems to be working out well for the LEO. :lol:
I eat, therefore I am.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Fri Aug 15, 2014 8:45 am

Gary Z wrote:Also, this reviewing the reviewer thing is getting old. It would be different if a forumite posted an opinion about a particular column but all these threads are started by you, Robin. I'm not going to say you have an agenda (like others have suggested) but I never saw you doing this with Riegler, Rosen or even Coomes.

Mmm ... Like Reagan said once, "I paid for this mike."

But seriously, Gary, you can't be serious. This is the online watering hole where people who care about food and dining in Louisville talk about food and dining in Louisville. If you don't think we ever talked about Susan Reigler's food writing during her long term at the CJ, you either weren't here or your memory is faulty. I'm drawing Nancy's columns to attention right now because I think it's a legitimate issue, particularly in that her style and approach so markedly differ from her predecessor.

I won't encourage personal attacks. We didn't do that to Reigler. But Reigler came in for a lot of attention because of the quality of her work and the fact that her tenure pretty much coincided with increasing budget cuts and the resulting quality cuts at the CJ. When Marty first came in, we praised him for the improvement. After that, there wasn't a lot to say. He did a serviceable job. As a writer and editor (who has, in fact, edited Marty's work at <i>Food & Dining</i>, I might ask questions about his prose style, but there wouldn't really be any point in doing that.

Now Nancy is in the batter's box, and we're looking on with interest. And let's face it, the breast-feeding commentary gave us plenty to work with. :mrgreen:

So there it is. Bottom line, if you don't think the forum host should be starting conversations on food-related topics - including food writing in our town - I'm not sure how to start explaining it to you. :?
no avatar
User

Bill Veneman

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:35 pm

East End outside of the Watterson, but not afraid to travel for good grub

by Bill Veneman » Fri Aug 15, 2014 1:01 pm

OK, I am going to go on a bit of a rant here myself:

1) Nancy Miller, as a member of the (now more-so than ever) liberal free press in a 'subjective' position on a dying rag pretty much has free reign to express her opinions with style, muse, and restrain (which she did in such case). She is a refreshing, clean change of the old guard that has been fast in place in recent memory. I say she was right in line with her role and can hardly wait to see her again (yes, Nancy, it's been WAY too long) and shake her hand is support.

2) I know that breast feeding is a force of nature....however, so is urination. And I for one am not going to "whip it out" in public for the sake of freedom, hence, I feel that breast feeding should be treated with the same bit of restrain and decorum.

3) As a confirmed and rather cantankerous bachelor, I must admit the very thought of witnessing a mother breastfeeding while attempting to enjoy a nice meal out is a rather repulsive vision. I still have a huge problem with young children being allowed to run wild in establishments in the name of 'psychological freedom'.

I am not now, nor have I ever been politically correct. I tell it like I see it. And if you don't like it, sorry for you!

My point, we all have our opinions. Every one of us! I won't think any less of you one way or another. HOWEVER, don't force your views on me. I will protest.
If life's a Banquet, what's with all the Tofu?

Cheers!

Bill V.
no avatar
User

RonnieD

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Aug 23, 2007 12:09 pm

The rolling acres of Henry County

by RonnieD » Fri Aug 15, 2014 2:20 pm

So I see "Roasted Bill" is on the menu for tonight. I take mine medium rare, please.

:shock:
Ronnie Dingman
Chef Consultant
The Farm
La Center, KY
Next