Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

LEO/HotBytes review: Palermo Viejo

by Robin Garr » Wed Aug 13, 2014 3:15 pm

Please your palate, polish your Spanish with Palermo's Parrillada

LEO's Eats with Robin Garr

Psst! Señoras y Señores! Want to practice your Spanish? Here's a tip: Go to Palermo Viejo and order the classic Argentine meat platter, La Parrillada.

The name of this dish (literally "The Grill Platter") offers the Spanish-impaired student a double challenge, as it mashes up two of the toughest consonant pairs in Español: double-r and double-l.

To get it right, you've got to roll the "rr" and soften the "ll" into a "y" (or a "zh" for an Argentine accent), coming out with something like "La Parrrreezhada." This will probably impress the staff or maybe make them chuckle; but guess what! You can just say it the way it's spelled in English, and they'll still know exactly what you want.

And you'll get the joy of as truly Argentine a culinary experience as you're going to find in this town. The Parrrreezhada, an edible extravaganza, brings four different parts of grilled cow on a sizzling charcoal grill that sits right on your table. It's Palermo Viejo's house specialty, and surely one of this favorite Highlands eatery's best-selling platos principales. Er, entrees.

After all, if it's meat you want, it's hard to beat the cuisine of Argentina, where caballeros can sing "Home on the Range," or the Spanish equivalent, with just as much nostalgia as our Texas cowboys. Chef Frank Elbl's bill of fare at Palermo Viejo will meat all your meat needs with Latin flair, featuring well over a dozen beef main courses from $13 (for Milanesa de Carne, a.k.a. Argentine chicken-fried steak) to $28 (for a Parillada Completa for one, adding pork and chicken to the all-beef Parillada option).

But here's a surprise, and, I think, an evolutionary development for Palermo Viejo: This temple to all things beefy is also veggie-friendly now. Three of the mains, six of the appetizers and all the sides are marked with a "Vegetarian" icon to indicate their meat-free status.

But wait! There's more! In a seasonal offering that even obligate carnivores may find fascinating, the kitchen is sourcing a variety of freshly picked summer veggies from an employee's Southern Indiana farm to make excellent daily from-the-garden specials.

Read the full review on LouisvilleHotBytes,
http://www.louisvillehotbytes.com/pleas ... parrillada
And in LEO Weekly:
http://leoweekly.com/dining/please-your ... %E2%80%99s

Palermo Viejo
1359 Bardstown Road
456-6461
Facebook: http://bit.do/PalermoViejo
Robin Garr's rating: 90 points
User

Amy Hoover

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:27 pm

Butchertown

Re: LEO/HotBytes review: Palermo Viejo

by Amy Hoover » Wed Aug 13, 2014 3:51 pm

This is one of my all-time favorite Louisville restaurants. They consistently serve outstanding food and have attentive, pleasant service. Glad to see them reviewed again!
“Fear less, hope more; Eat less, chew more; Whine less, breathe more; Talk less, say more; Love more, and all good things will be yours”

Swedish Proverb
no avatar
User

Andrew Mellman

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:33 am

Louisville

by Andrew Mellman » Wed Aug 13, 2014 4:26 pm

" four thick rounds of alternating red and orange heirloom tomatoes topped with thick half-moons of creamy fresh mozzarella, drizzled with a balsamic vinaigrette and fresh basil chiffonade. The dark, sweet balsamic made an offbeat variation on the classic simplicity of Caprese"

While the "standard" caprese is dressed with olive oil and salt, I really wouldn't call balsamic "offbeat" . . . I actually see the balsamic version much more often than the plain olive oil, especially with the wonderful aged balsamics available today!
Andrew Mellman
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Wed Aug 13, 2014 4:50 pm

Andrew Mellman wrote:While the "standard" caprese is dressed with olive oil and salt, I really wouldn't call balsamic "offbeat" . . . I actually see the balsamic version much more often than the plain olive oil, especially with the wonderful aged balsamics available today!

I guess I was thinking in terms of Italian (and Argentine) cuisine, Andrew. I know balsamic is getting insanely popular on just about everything in the U.S., but I don't think it works with the simple delicacy of a Caprese.