Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
User

Marsha L.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 2:56 pm

Louisville, KY

Gawker ranks breakfast sandwich bread choices

by Marsha L. » Mon Aug 11, 2014 4:11 pm

http://rankings.gawker.com/the-best-bre ... 481690/all

Discuss. I prefer a buttered english muffin as #1. I do have a lot of love for biscuits, but they make for an inferior breakfast sandwich ingredient delivery system, and should be relegated to butter and/or jam only. Croissants are great but they tend to flatten and deflate with warm ingredients on them. Bagelwiches don't count in Louisville because here bagels are too dense and as stated in the comments section of the linked piece, they will slide apart inconveniently.

Best breakfast sandwich = toasted, lightly buttered english muffin, schmear of cream cheese, crispy bacon, over medium egg (I would say over easy, but I always picture a breakfast sandwich being eaten while driving, so, no totally liquid yolk). NO vegetables or greens. I will allow fried bologna in place of bacon once a quarter.
Marsha Lynch
LEO columnist, free range cook/food writer/food stylist
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Re: Gawker ranks breakfast sandwich bread choices

by Robin Garr » Mon Aug 11, 2014 4:28 pm

I'm right there with you on the English Muffin, Marsha. Nooks and crannies! I'd rank the croissant and the bagel closer to the top, but they have to be good examples: Paris-style croissants (Blue Dog will do) or New York-style bagels (tough in Louisville, maybe Baby D's if I'm seriously jonesing).
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Mon Aug 11, 2014 4:30 pm

Blue Dog's "Pug Rolls" (mini-Pugliese loaves) are also worthy.
User

Marsha L.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Louisville, KY

by Marsha L. » Mon Aug 11, 2014 4:35 pm

Robin Garr wrote:Blue Dog's "Pug Rolls" (mini-Pugliese loaves) are also worthy.

I haven't had anything from Blue Dog besides baguette in years. Would their pug roll make a decent torta?
Marsha Lynch
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Mon Aug 11, 2014 5:18 pm

The pug roll is really crusty and chewy. I like sandwiches on it, but Mary says they are way too much work. For a torta, why not hit up one of the panaderias on Preston or maybe the cool one next to El Mariachi and get some real bolillos? They're a completely different style of bread, soft and fluffy.
User

Marsha L.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Louisville, KY

by Marsha L. » Mon Aug 11, 2014 5:30 pm

Robin Garr wrote:For a torta, why not hit up one of the panaderias on Preston or maybe the cool one next to El Mariachi and get some real bolillos? They're a completely different style of bread, soft and fluffy.

Sounds like a plan! Speaking of Blue Dog baguette, which I have always worshiped, whether served warmed or toasted in rounds for bruschetta, in the last six months I've had several people tell me they don't see what the big deal is about BD baguettes - "incorrect crumb" "too hard", etc.

Thoughts? For sure you need to get them fresh from the bakery or a restaurant they've been delivered to that day. (I'm sorry, but the BD baguettes at the liquor store or Lotsa Pasta-type specialty stores often seem a day old or more to me. ) But I still love me some fresh, warm segments of BD baguettes.
Marsha Lynch
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Mon Aug 11, 2014 5:32 pm

Marsha L. wrote:Speaking of Blue Dog baguette, which I have always worshiped, whether served warmed or toasted in rounds for bruschetta, in the last six months I've had several people tell me they don't see what the big deal is about BD baguettes - "incorrect crumb" "too hard", etc.

Thoughts? For sure you need to get them fresh from the bakery or a restaurant they've been delivered to that day. (I'm sorry, but the BD baguettes at the liquor store or Lotsa Pasta-type specialty stores often seem a day old or more to me. ) But I still love me some fresh, warm segments of BD baguettes.

Yep ... for a long time, Bob Hancock wouldn't sell the baguettes outside the store, and he would only sell them the morning they were baked. I guess market pressure took its toll.

In fairness, I don't find their baguettes exactly Parisian in style. They don't have the same shattering crust or feather-light crumb. But they're mighty good Euro-style artisan bread, and I love love love the model with mixed seeds on top. :mrgreen:
User

Mark R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:02 pm

Anchorage, KY

by Mark R. » Mon Aug 11, 2014 5:35 pm

I certainly agree with what you both said about biscuits, they are great to eat but really don't make a good breakfast sandwich because they fall apart too much. Of course my Marsha mentioned butter and jam on them she certainly forgot about gravy which is my 1st choice of available! English muffins are also my 1st choice and actually I like a nice heavy whole-grain bread almost as much. Tortillas are good for a breakfast meal also but I'm not really sure if you call that a sandwich. As you both said, bagels are also good to eat by themselves but really don't work too well for a breakfast sandwich.

Along the same line, what's everybody think is the best breakfast sandwich available in town? To me one of the best is the Masterpiece from Better Way Foods 8t the corner of Cane Run Road and Ralph Avenue! It's ham, bacon, cheese and an egg on a toasted hamburger roll!! :roll:
Last edited by Mark R. on Mon Aug 11, 2014 5:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Written using Dragon NaturallySpeaking

"Life is short. Drink the good wine first"
User

Marsha L.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Louisville, KY

by Marsha L. » Mon Aug 11, 2014 5:35 pm

In fairness, I don't find their baguettes exactly Parisian in style. They don't have the same shattering crust or feather-light crumb.

For sure not Parisian. But something all their own. If you need crostini for a party finger food, you can't beat 'em.
Last edited by Marsha L. on Mon Aug 11, 2014 5:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Marsha Lynch
User

Marsha L.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Louisville, KY

by Marsha L. » Mon Aug 11, 2014 5:36 pm

Mark R. wrote:To me one of the best is the Masterpiece from Better Way Foods 8t the corner of Cane Run Road and Ralph Avenue! It's ham, bacon, cheese and an egg on a toasted hamburger roll!! :roll:

I'd hit that.
Marsha Lynch
User

Mark R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:02 pm

Anchorage, KY

by Mark R. » Mon Aug 11, 2014 5:38 pm

Robin Garr wrote:In fairness, I don't find their baguettes exactly Parisian in style. They don't have the same shattering crust or feather-light crumb.

+1 I certainly agree with that, actually have ever found a very good Parisian style baguette in Louisville.
Written using Dragon NaturallySpeaking

"Life is short. Drink the good wine first"
User

Marsha L.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Louisville, KY

by Marsha L. » Mon Aug 11, 2014 5:41 pm

Mark R. wrote:Of course my Marsha mentioned butter and jam on them she certainly forgot about gravy which is my 1st choice of available!

Mark, I love biscuits and gravy, and I make some of the best sausage gravy on the planet, but that's not a breakfast sandwich anymore. That's a put-your-face-down-and-snuffle-it-up-from-a-plate-wich. :mrgreen:
Marsha Lynch
User

Carol C

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Mar 03, 2007 9:26 pm

by Carol C » Mon Aug 11, 2014 7:19 pm

The pug roll is really crusty and chewy.

We love the BD pug rolls and use them most of the time for bread with dinner. They are the perfect size for the 2 of us--baguettes will get too hard before we can use it whole thing, even with freezing. Pugs also make great sandwiches! Interesting article, Marsha, from one who will make a sandwich out of almost anything mentioned!!!
no avatar
User

Nora Boyle

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Mar 03, 2007 2:24 pm

Clifton

by Nora Boyle » Mon Aug 11, 2014 9:49 pm

I love the trick of slicing the roll and pulling out a wad of the crumb from both sides. Keeps all the goodness from squishing out. Btw this thread is giving me flashbacks of my fave sf sandwich from back in the day. Good baguette with ham, Brie, butter, and mendo mustard. Perfect beach food.
User

Carla G

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:01 am

by Carla G » Tue Aug 12, 2014 8:13 am

Ummmm...baguette, St. Andre's and roasted garlic with thin slices of pear.
"She did not so much cook as assassinate food." - Storm Jameson