Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
no avatar
User

RichardM

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Mar 03, 2007 12:18 am

Louisville, KY

Top Ten Most Expensive Restaurants

by RichardM » Fri Dec 14, 2007 10:29 pm

USAToday has an foodie article online today. It is about the top 10 most expensive places to dine in the US. It is a good read but don't be drinking or eating in front of the computer because some of the dinner prices are STUNNING. The one thing I didn't like was the method they used to pick the restaurants... BEGIN QUOTE... "To compile a list of the country's top tables, we selected what are commonly thought to be the 10 most expensive restaurants in 10 "foodie" cities across the United States. We narrowed our selection by calculating what the minimum "price of admission" would be to dine at each, that is: how much it would cost to dine there if you were to order the least expensive item on the menu. Those with the highest tabs made the list."... END QUOTE. How did they choose the "10 foodie cities"? Geeeze, Gannett has a paper here in what is a top FIVE FOODIE CITY.

Anyway, a good read at: <b>click here to read</b>

And if you just want to see pictures of those choosen: <b>click here</b>

So what restaurants would make a/the list here in Kentuckiana. What one of those in the USAToday article would you most like to have dinner at and who with?
Richard Lord Meadows, Earl of Vienna, Marquess of Morgantown and Westover, Baronet of Parkersburg, and West Virginia’s Ambassador to the Portland Neighborhood.
no avatar
User

robert szappanos

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 4:17 pm

louisville, ky

by robert szappanos » Sat Dec 15, 2007 12:09 pm

I actually have no comment on this because IO never go to those places....To me an expensive diner is around 25 to 30 bucks.... :D
no avatar
User

Aaron Newton

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 15, 2007 3:34 pm

by Aaron Newton » Sat Dec 15, 2007 12:19 pm

I really can't imagine spending $400 on a dinner. That's just insane. Even if I was very wealthy I'm not sure I could justify that.
User

Ron Johnson

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:48 am

by Ron Johnson » Sat Dec 15, 2007 1:02 pm

I've had meals that gave me sticker shock when the check arrived, but for the most part, they were well worth it. $400 is a lot for a meal, but if that's what your into, why not? I have a friend who loves to fish. When he told me how much his fishing tackle cost, I about fell over. But, that's his thing. I guess dining is mine.
User

Mark Head

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Oct 28, 2007 10:44 pm

Prospect

by Mark Head » Sat Dec 15, 2007 1:20 pm

We've had dinner at "The Inn at Little Washington" in Virginia that was on the list. It's in the Shenendoah Valley and just gorgious. It's been about 12 to 14 years ago and I recall the food and service as being outstanding as it should be at those prices.

We buget quite a bit for food and travel...we don't have a "big screen" tv, a BMW, or a boat. But you only live once and as a family we have some outstanding memories of such destinations.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Sat Dec 15, 2007 1:29 pm

Mark Head wrote:We've had dinner at "The Inn at Little Washington" in Virginia that was on the list. It's in the Shenendoah Valley and just gorgious. It's been about 12 to 14 years ago and I recall the food and service as being outstanding as it should be at those prices.

Bridging two forum topics here, in some ways the new Corbett's reminds me of The Inn at Little Washington. The Costco parking lot isn't nearly as scenic, but the approach - dining and service perfection in a historic old-house setting outside the city - rings a familiar bell. And Corbett's isn't nearly as expensive. ;)
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Sat Dec 15, 2007 1:31 pm

Good article, Richard! Thanks for the link.

FYI, I took the liberty of sneaking in and editing the formatting of your post, embedding the links so the long URLs wouldn't stretch the forum page horizontally. No extra charge ... ;)
no avatar
User

Richard S.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 1:47 pm

by Richard S. » Mon Dec 17, 2007 5:33 pm

Interesting read, but I didn't quite get the inclusion of Antoine's on the list. Two people could easily dine here for less than $200, including a bottle of wine. Any of Emeril's places, or Jeff Ruby's for that matter, would cost the same or more.
User

Ron Johnson

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Ron Johnson » Mon Dec 17, 2007 5:45 pm

I agree. Antoine's is far from one of the most expensive restaurants in the country.
no avatar
User

Aaron Newton

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 15, 2007 3:34 pm

by Aaron Newton » Mon Dec 17, 2007 10:34 pm

Ron Johnson wrote:I've had meals that gave me sticker shock when the check arrived, but for the most part, they were well worth it. $400 is a lot for a meal, but if that's what your into, why not? I have a friend who loves to fish. When he told me how much his fishing tackle cost, I about fell over. But, that's his thing. I guess dining is mine.

Oh don't get me wrong, I can understand other people who really make dining a huge part of their life going in for it, and I don't judge them for it. I've had plenty of people balk at what I have in comics and video games, which in most people's eyes is likely much less justifiable than spending it on a quality meal. I'm certainly in no position to judge anyone on it. :)

I'm really just talking about me and what I can justify to myself. As much as I love food I just couldn't quite go there. A couple hundred on a meal for two every once in a while I will comfortably do. $400 for one is just a little outside the range for me.
User

Ron Johnson

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Ron Johnson » Tue Dec 18, 2007 8:47 am

Aaron Newton wrote:
Ron Johnson wrote:I've had meals that gave me sticker shock when the check arrived, but for the most part, they were well worth it. $400 is a lot for a meal, but if that's what your into, why not? I have a friend who loves to fish. When he told me how much his fishing tackle cost, I about fell over. But, that's his thing. I guess dining is mine.

Oh don't get me wrong, I can understand other people who really make dining a huge part of their life going in for it, and I don't judge them for it. I've had plenty of people balk at what I have in comics and video games, which in most people's eyes is likely much less justifiable than spending it on a quality meal. I'm certainly in no position to judge anyone on it. :)

I'm really just talking about me and what I can justify to myself. As much as I love food I just couldn't quite go there. A couple hundred on a meal for two every once in a while I will comfortably do. $400 for one is just a little outside the range for me.

exactly. When a person is really into a particular hobby the economics of it get pretty skewed. I'd rather spend money on good food than an expensive set of golf clubs. And then there is wine . . . oy vey!
User

Mark Head

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Oct 28, 2007 10:44 pm

Prospect

by Mark Head » Tue Dec 18, 2007 12:09 pm

Don't mention the price of wine....the drop in the dollar isn't helping my wine budget either.