Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

Bombay Grill buffet

no avatar
User

Linda C

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 08, 2007 8:38 pm

Bombay Grill buffet

by Linda C » Sun Aug 10, 2014 12:15 am

For some reason, I thought this was a chain and never visited. I was on my way to Shalimar, got on the wrong side of Shelbyville Rd, so visited Bombay. First good sign, very crowded on a Thursday at noon and nearly 85 % were of Indian descent. I like that they put a pitcher of water on the table, they knew I needed it. The buffet was fresh and diverse, lots to choose from. The meat dishes were moist, not dry or over cooked. The spice was about on a 3 level, I was crying, drooling and wiping my nose but loving it. At 8.99, this is a bargain. We went to Little India's new location and found that the variety and number of dishes was not up to par. Looking forward to trying a couple more!
User

Carla G

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:01 am

Re: Bombay Grill buffet

by Carla G » Sun Aug 10, 2014 6:42 am

Thanks Linda! After my last trip yo Reading I've been on an Indian food kick and still haven't tried Bombay. It is now on my list.
"She did not so much cook as assassinate food." - Storm Jameson
User

TP Lowe

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 6:00 am

Shelby County

by TP Lowe » Sun Aug 10, 2014 7:00 am

One of my regular lunch stops. Lots of veggie options. Can't say I've found that heat that the OPer referred to, but always on the hunt for it!
no avatar
User

Linda C

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 08, 2007 8:38 pm

by Linda C » Mon Aug 18, 2014 6:20 pm

I have been told that I am overly sensitive to heat! I have to order a one at Simply Thai!
no avatar
User

Alanna H

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 8:11 pm

Colorado Springs

by Alanna H » Mon Aug 18, 2014 8:12 pm

My monthly dining group tried Bombay Grill in June. It was the first time the majority of them had eaten Indian food. As a post-bariatric patient one of the rules I have to live by from now on no drinking during (or 30 minutes prior/post) meals. We all ordered off the menu as it was dinner time and the buffet was over. I ordered my butter chicken mild. Our waiter tried to talk me up to a medium, but I said no dice, knowing that I wouldn't be able to drink anything to temper the heat.
My dining companions were not so savvy on Indian heat levels ;-) They all ordered medium, with the exception of one gentleman who ordered hot. Needless to say, two medium butter chickens and a medium curry chicken were sent back and exchanged for mild, because they were too hot for the un-initiated taste buds. The rest suffered through without exchanging. I happily ate my tasty-though-heatless meal. I'm sure the staff had a good laugh at us after we left!
no avatar
User

Iggy C

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Oct 10, 2011 9:33 am

by Iggy C » Mon Aug 18, 2014 10:52 pm

I like the buffet a lot, but my favorite item is the chana bhatura. It comes out like a basketball full of steam, exactly as it should be. It comes out and you get that feeling of conspicuous absurd showmanship slightly reminiscent of having ordered a baked Alaska. Plus the chickpea curry that comes with is great. Haven't found another place around here that does it justice. Might not have given that place a chance if it weren't for Lucky, but now it's a trusted addition to the roster for us.
User

Tony_S

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Jun 08, 2008 2:51 pm

Louisville

by Tony_S » Sun Sep 07, 2014 2:20 pm

Thanks for these reviews. I have to try it now.