Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
no avatar
User

Deb Hall

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Mar 04, 2007 4:46 pm

Highlands , Louisville

Re: Good Guy Fieri rant on Salon ...

by Deb Hall » Thu Aug 14, 2014 7:20 pm

I agree. Very few editors and columnists have a expertise in the subject that they are editorializing. I didn't see any incorrectness.
Personally while I don't dislike Fieri, I totally agree on the lack of real culinary shows with talented chefs on Food Network. How has Food network ended up with what feels like all the game shows, contests, Rachel Ray/ Sandra and " who's got the biggest x?" I used to love some of the Food Network shows and actually learning something from Giada, Mario, Bobby, and Alton.... ( sigh) we almost never watch anymore.
Deb
no avatar
User

Doug Davis

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Dec 03, 2011 10:05 pm

The Highlands

by Doug Davis » Thu Aug 14, 2014 11:51 pm

Steve Shade wrote:Stephen .. I have done none of the above things. I guess that means I should not criticize someone like Fieri, even though I find him completely irritating.

I don't know if Robin qualifies. Although he may be classified as a foodie, I don't know if he spent a summer picking grapes.

Steve I think its fine if you dont personally enjoy Fieri as a TV host. I think Stephen's point is its one thing to do it among us here on a foodie forum, its something entirely different when you are an online periodical with millions of viewers. Your reviewers than should be held to a higher standard.
I eat, therefore I am.
no avatar
User

Josh A

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Mar 25, 2008 2:01 pm

Paristown Point/Germantown

by Josh A » Fri Aug 15, 2014 8:39 am

Deb Hall wrote:How has Food network ended up with what feels like all the game shows, contests, Rachel Ray/ Sandra and " who's got the biggest x?" I used to love some of the Food Network shows and actually learning something from Giada, Mario, Bobby, and Alton.... ( sigh) we almost never watch anymore.
Deb

There's no money in cooking shows. While those type of shows may appeal to foodies/home cooks/whatever, there aren't enough of those to sell lots of advertising. Big, loud, brash personalities, bad catchphrases repeated over and over, the trainwreck that was cocktail time, that's what sells(at least in the short term.)

But apparently that's not been working out too hot for the network over the past few years, what little i've paid attention to ratings has shown them to be losing viewers at a reasonable rate.
no avatar
User

SilvioM

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Aug 01, 2014 11:13 pm

by SilvioM » Fri Aug 15, 2014 9:50 pm

Stephen D wrote:
'(x) worked his way through college as a server at (y).'.

So you would've been okay with his rant if, instead of being at Harvard, he mentioned that he waited tables for a few years?

I really don't you need to be an industry vet to critique such things -- and I waited tables for eight years!
no avatar
User

Stephen D

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Feb 03, 2008 3:41 am

Lyndon, Ky

by Stephen D » Sat Aug 16, 2014 2:31 am

SilvioM wrote:
Stephen D wrote:
'(x) worked his way through college as a server at (y).'.

So you would've been okay with his rant if, instead of being at Harvard, he mentioned that he waited tables for a few years?

I really don't you need to be an industry vet to critique such things -- and I waited tables for eight years!

Yep. I would give you more credence than him.

EDIT: Here's your author- https://www.facebook.com/farsh.askari?fref=ts

He seems like a nice guy, but then again I like everybody. It's just I prefer my sources with some callouses on their hands and some experience under their belts.
no avatar
User

Carla G

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:01 am

by Carla G » Mon Aug 18, 2014 1:57 pm

Sorry. You don't don't have to be a chicken to know if an egg is rotten. You don't have to be a silversmith to know when a knife is dull. Frankly I don't see Fieri doing anything that would qualify as advanced culinary . I appreciate the fact he reviews independent restaurants but his focus seems to be on "the biggest" (fill in the blank here ) or some sort of excess.
"She did not so much cook as assassinate food." - Storm Jameson
no avatar
User

Steve Shade

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:53 am

by Steve Shade » Mon Aug 18, 2014 10:38 pm

Carla G wrote:Sorry. You don't don't have to be a chicken to know if an egg is rotten. You don't have to be a silversmith to know when a knife is dull. Frankly I don't see Fieri doing anything that would qualify as advanced culinary . I appreciate the fact he reviews independent restaurants but his focus seems to be on "the biggest" (fill in the blank here ) or some sort of excess.

Well put.
"Don't accept your dog's admiration as
conclusive evidence that you are wonderful."
-- Ann Landers
no avatar
User

Stephen D

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Feb 03, 2008 3:41 am

Lyndon, Ky

by Stephen D » Tue Aug 19, 2014 1:27 am

Carla G wrote:Sorry. You don't don't have to be a chicken to know if an egg is rotten. You don't have to be a silversmith to know when a knife is dull. Frankly I don't see Fieri doing anything that would qualify as advanced culinary . I appreciate the fact he reviews independent restaurants but his focus seems to be on "the biggest" (fill in the blank here ) or some sort of excess.

Well...

I had two guests on Friday night- so young I had to card them for their Edmund Fitzgerald Porter and Falls City. They enjoyed the Sweetbreads and Kajiki Toro...

Who inspired these people?

Do you remember what set you on the culinary path? It wasn't Achatz. It was someone like Emeril...

It's important to acknowledge people like Fieri, because they have a place. I'm sorry he has become dull to you. You have simply moved on. The next generation has not and it's important to realize this.
no avatar
User

Marsha L.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 2:56 pm

Louisville, KY

by Marsha L. » Tue Aug 19, 2014 6:13 am

Eh, I like to see the places he visits, but I never really trusted him after I noticed he turned his nose up at anything having to do with eggs. Yep, he won't eat eggs.
Marsha Lynch
LEO columnist, free range cook/food writer/food stylist
no avatar
User

Carla G

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:01 am

by Carla G » Tue Aug 19, 2014 7:26 am

Do you remember what set you on the culinary path? It wasn't Achatz. It was someone like Emeril...[

Ahh you flatterer you! Try Graham Kerr, the ignoble Jeff Smith, and of course the wonderful Julia Child. More contemporary times had Clarissa Wright and Jennifer Paterson. All these chefs actually cooked. They taught culinary skills as opposed to merely pushing their own personality. But, that was then and Fieri is now. Along with Duck Dynasty and Real Housewives of Whogivesaratsbehind.

Here's a thought Stephen...since you are in an influential position with newbie foodies, why not ween them away from the pap of such dull icons and onto real "food"? You'd be doing them some real educational service.
"She did not so much cook as assassinate food." - Storm Jameson
no avatar
User

Steve H

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Apr 17, 2008 12:27 pm

Neanderthals rock!

by Steve H » Tue Aug 19, 2014 9:04 am

Stephen D wrote:I had two guests on Friday night- so young I had to card them for their Edmund Fitzgerald Porter and Falls City. They enjoyed the Sweetbreads and Kajiki Toro...

Who inspired these people?

Yes. Let a million flowers bloom.

Fieri isn't really my cup of tea. I do enjoy watching DDD on occasion though. I like to travel to various US destinations and just hang out for a week or so. No pressure to see or do anything specific. This show can give you ideas of some local dives you might want to visit. Or just wonder about visiting, even if you never do. To me, it's kinda a fun from a travel perspective as opposed to a gourmet experience. I play along on the laptop while the show is on to check out the restaurant and the town. These days, the experience isn't just on that one big screen.

I offer no defense for his cramming food down his gullet on camera. Gross.
Previous