Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Good Guy Fieri rant on Salon ...

by Robin Garr » Fri Aug 08, 2014 8:21 pm

Nice rant! "While Michelle Obama campaigns for Americans to make healthier food choices, the Food Network relentlessly promotes Guy Fieri – a guy who wants us to combust via consumption of highly processed inedibles."

http://www.salon.com/2014/08/08/how_one ... wers_hell/
no avatar
User

Gary Z

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Nov 11, 2009 2:05 am

Re: Good Guy Fieri rant on Salon ...

by Gary Z » Sat Aug 09, 2014 2:43 am

Guy Fieri is to the Food Network what Honey Boo Boo is to The Learning Channel.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Sat Aug 09, 2014 7:03 am

CarlMoore wrote:The amount of incorrect facts in this "rant" in laughable.

Could be, but don't ask us to assume your judgment. Point them out. Extra credit if you can do it civilly.
no avatar
User

Carla G

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:01 am

by Carla G » Sat Aug 09, 2014 7:35 am

I agree that Fieri is simply promoting self indulgence in a very unhealthy way. His first season he was kind of interesting if only because he was different. Now it's just excess excess excess with a little grease. And I also tire of him shouting. In fact, it seems there's so great deal of shouting on TV everywhere as if these ninnies are saying, " Hey! LISTEN TO ME! I SAID LISTEN TO ME! CAN YOU HEAR ME? ARE YOU LISTENING?" Vaguely reminiscent of a petulant 5 year old.

And that's my rant for the day.
"She did not so much cook as assassinate food." - Storm Jameson
no avatar
User

BrianCurl

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Jul 28, 2014 11:11 am

by BrianCurl » Sat Aug 09, 2014 9:20 am

Money. That's the main reason he's on so much. Average viewers like him.

If able to ignore him, there maybe a few tips to learn from those featured on his show. And interesting places to visit, like that place in Frankfort.

Money. (Even Guy says it) haha
no avatar
User

SilvioM

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Aug 01, 2014 11:13 pm

by SilvioM » Sat Aug 09, 2014 3:41 pm

I mostly agree. He's not a cook at this point, mostly a tour guide. We watch the network a bit and even my kids think that Guy's Grocery Games is a ridiculous.

I would also like to know what was factually incorrect about the rant. I didn't notice any, though one could argue with the hyperbole-laced opinions expressed, but they are clearly opinions.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Sat Aug 09, 2014 3:58 pm

CarlMoore wrote:"And please note how Guy isn’t actually cooking on any of those shows."

"I get it – Guy won your first “Food Network Star” competition so you had to give him his own show.

Both these statements are incorrect.

Okay, thanks, Carl. I'm not sure that "laughable" applies, in my opinion, but I appreciate you coming back with specifics.
no avatar
User

SilvioM

{ RANK }

Foodie

by SilvioM » Sat Aug 09, 2014 5:21 pm

CarlMoore wrote:"And please note how Guy isn’t actually cooking on any of those shows."

"I get it – Guy won your first “Food Network Star” competition so you had to give him his own show.

Both these statements are incorrect.

Are they? I've not seen him cook on DDD or Grocery Games. At most he "helps", unlike, say, Bobby Flay, who judges on some shows, but cooks on many others. Perhaps he has another show that I've not seen.

And second, it is true that he didn't win the first FNS. It was the second. That led to his show in which he, to his credit, earned a great deal of fame. Still, stating he won the 1st instead of the 2nd is not, imo, a major error.
no avatar
User

RonnieD

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Aug 23, 2007 12:09 pm

The rolling acres of Henry County

by RonnieD » Sun Aug 10, 2014 1:41 pm

Guy Fieri is everything that is wrong with cooking on television. And to think I used to be taken aback by Emeril and all of his "BAM" nonsense. Little did I know how bad it could get...

You know it's bad when the "spoof" menus on line are hard to distinguish from the real "menus" this moron creates or inspires...
Ronnie Dingman
Chef Consultant
The Farm
La Center, KY
no avatar
User

Margie L

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Sep 16, 2008 1:47 pm

by Margie L » Sun Aug 10, 2014 2:02 pm

My personal gripe with Food Network is what they have done with Alton Brown. I used to love Good Eats, now he has been reduced to Cutthroat Kitchen (shudder) and snarky commentary.
no avatar
User

Carla G

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:01 am

by Carla G » Sun Aug 10, 2014 3:25 pm

Margie L wrote:My personal gripe with Food Network is what they have done with Alton Brown. I used to love Good Eats, now he has been reduced to Cutthroat Kitchen (shudder) and snarky commentary.

I agree Margie. I learned so much about the why's and wherefores of cooking from Alton Brown. He taught the chemistry aspect of the kitchen as opposed to just supplying the public with another recipe.
"She did not so much cook as assassinate food." - Storm Jameson
no avatar
User

SilvioM

{ RANK }

Foodie

by SilvioM » Sun Aug 10, 2014 3:28 pm

Alton isn't as snarky as most of them, but I agree that's a sad role for the former Good Eats host. That show was a classic.
no avatar
User

Steve Kluesner

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Jul 28, 2007 2:37 pm

So. Indiana

by Steve Kluesner » Sun Aug 10, 2014 9:31 pm

I can't say that Guy is the best guy on TV but he reports the news.....at least his type of news......I think he is honest with what he reports. Those littles spots and dishes may not be to the liking of everyone but it is his point of view. If you don't like it don't watch it. Why is everyone so bent on being right instead of just taking someone's point of view for what is worth....nothing.

To me, what is more absurb is the stupid game shows relating to food. They are all the same.....I will wait for quality food. I don't want my chef to rush to get my plate out in a certain time. I would like for them to think about what they are going to prepare. I just think the premise fo cooking food in a time constraint is just ridiculous.
no avatar
User

Steve Kluesner

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Jul 28, 2007 2:37 pm

So. Indiana

by Steve Kluesner » Sun Aug 10, 2014 9:36 pm

One other thing that bugs me about TV Food Game Shows......is it responsible to waste so much food?
no avatar
User

Doug Davis

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Dec 03, 2011 10:05 pm

The Highlands

by Doug Davis » Mon Aug 11, 2014 1:04 am

I'll be honest, I dont get the hate. Is he obnoxious? To some degree. But he is a TV host in the entertainment business, thats kind of his job. But I love his show Diners, Drive Ins and Dives. While the food or portions might not always be the healthiest, I love its focus on small, locally, owned establishments turning out quality food.
I eat, therefore I am.
Next