Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

A Guide to Splitting the Check

by Robin Garr » Fri Aug 08, 2014 7:48 am

More good server stuff from the snarky Jezebel website. Warning: There's a lot of "adult" language in this article, but the servers' advice about how (and how not) to split restaurant checks is worth assimilating.

A Guide to Splitting the Check
http://kitchenette.jezebel.com/a-guide- ... 1616759294
User

Gary Z

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Nov 11, 2009 2:05 am

Re: A Guide to Splitting the Check

by Gary Z » Fri Aug 08, 2014 4:38 pm

With modern POS systems, splitting checks is not a big deal. The only time it can become an issue is in large groups. In those cases it is most important that you stay in the seat that you ordered from. These days everything is rung in and assigned according to the specific seat you are sitting in. If you start moving around and changing seats, you are asking for check issues come the end of the meal.
User

KlausThiesen

{ RANK }

Just got here

Thu Jul 31, 2014 12:42 pm

Middletown

by KlausThiesen » Fri Aug 08, 2014 5:56 pm

Thanks for posting this interesting article. Many points presented that I had not considered. I’ve never encountered any of the issues discussed since in our group, when the check arrived, everyone used to grab for it which resulted in one person paying, including leaving the tip. Eventually, this grab for the check scenario became ridiculous - so we decided to take turns paying. I think this works out best because if it’s not your turn to pay - you get to eat for free. Everyone likes free. On the other hand, when it is your turn, the pain of paying does not increase linearly with the amount of the payment. So it’s really a win/win. There are times when I may only eat a salad and a glass of wine, while others order a filet, expensive cabernet sauvignon and dessert. I look at it as taking one for the team and knowing that everyone's dining pleasure has increased - even mine. Oh dear, got off topic a bit. The point being - one tab, one tip, no drama.
no avatar
User

Margie L

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Sep 16, 2008 1:47 pm

by Margie L » Mon Aug 11, 2014 10:35 am

Thanks, I learned something. I thought cash was preferable in all situations, but I am old and waited tables before POS.