Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
no avatar
User

Doug A

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Mar 14, 2007 10:47 pm

Highlands

CENA Italian Trattoria Soft Opening!

by Doug A » Thu Aug 07, 2014 10:15 pm

Had the good fortune of being invited to the soft opening this evening. We enjoyed The Place Downstairs and while they have changed the format they have not lost a step.

We started off with a prosciutto and melon salad that had melon and some peppery\mildly bitter greens wrapped in prosciutto. Some fig, roasted pepper, some very nice balsamic vinegar, and cherry tomatoes on top rounded a very nicely balanced dish.

They brought us a Tuna Crudo and my wife doesn't do fish that way, but I do and it was outstanding. Italian Sushi, very thin salami slices, couple of delectable but unknown additions, in addition to some lovely olive oil and balsamic vinegar.

We decided to sample the Primi menu so we could get a real taste of what they do. Bolognese, Carbonara, Gnocchi, and Agnolotti were among some of the best and yet lightest pastas we've had anywhere.

Most examples of Carbonara we've had, while good, had heavy cream as a base. This had pasta, cheese, bacon, and a farm egg that was incredibly rich while still being a light dish if you can do such a thing.

The Agnolotti was listed in the preview menus as having short rib, but they changed it to Oxtail and it is phenomenal. My wife asked about it and Michael said it was exactly what was listed which turned her off to the dish. I was enthused and decided to try it and it turned out to be one of her favorite dishes. Wonderful flavor and texture.

The ultimate compliment for the Bolognese is my wife said we could bring my Father-in-Law and he would love it. Again, a dish I don't normally associate with being light, but very light and very flavorful.

I ordered the Gnocchi with sausage, cheese, and tomato, and at the risk of being repetitive it was a dish that my wife would not order and enjoy. It was everything I thought it should be and different enough from what she expected that she enjoyed it too.

We'll be back, loved it.
User

Carla G

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:01 am

Re: CENA Italian Trattoria Soft Opening!

by Carla G » Fri Aug 08, 2014 7:29 pm

Oh well gee thanks Doug! I was going to put off visiting CENA until the crowds came and went but fat chance of that now! I doubt I will be able to wait. :D
"She did not so much cook as assassinate food." - Storm Jameson