Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
User

Deb Hall

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Mar 04, 2007 4:46 pm

Highlands , Louisville

Re: CENA Italian Trattoria open!

by Deb Hall » Wed Feb 04, 2015 10:26 pm

That has not been our experience: We have eaten there and GuacaMole many times and always had excellent service from Fernando Jr- in fact we ask to sit in his section if possible.
Deb
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Wed Feb 04, 2015 10:33 pm

Deb Hall wrote:That has not been our experience: We have eaten there and GuacaMole many times and always had excellent service from Fernando Jr- in fact we ask to sit in his section if possible.

He has always struck me as a sharp young man. Apple doesn't fall far from the tree, etc.
User

TP Lowe

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 6:00 am

Shelby County

by TP Lowe » Thu Feb 05, 2015 8:48 am

I don't know him, so I hope no one thinks I said anything about Fernando Jr. Our server was very polite, but just made too many mistakes to be considered competent - big distraction from a night out with friends.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Thu Feb 05, 2015 9:49 am

TP Lowe wrote:I don't know him, so I hope no one thinks I said anything about Fernando Jr. Our server was very polite, but just made too many mistakes to be considered competent - big distraction from a night out with friends.

Nonono! Wasn't you. A drive-by shooting followed your post.
User

Deb Hall

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Mar 04, 2007 4:46 pm

Highlands , Louisville

by Deb Hall » Thu Feb 05, 2015 10:06 am

TP,
How disappointing that your experience was sub-par. We've been to CENA and TPD ( same staff) probably 5-6 times at this point, and from my experience lack luster service is an exception. With one minor exception, we've always had great service ( albeit a bit leisurely which we like at this place) and uniformly fantastic food at CENA.

I'm guessing from your comment on the strange layout that you were seated on the area to the right of the hostess stand? We've always been seated in the main two rooms ( with the red walls) ; I'd recommend asking for seating there should you go back. It's really worth another try.
Best-
Deb
no avatar
User

Rick Moir

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Oct 24, 2009 2:08 pm

by Rick Moir » Fri Feb 06, 2015 5:35 pm

Mr. Lowe,
My deepest apologies for a sub par experience dining at Cena Trattoria. The staff both front and back of house take great pride in giving our guest, that become friends, an experience that leaves you wanting to come back. Cena considers everyone a friend or family and appreciate insight on every visit so we can improve. Every now and then a off night occurs, although this is not acceptable, this does happen. My only solution and suggestion is to please not let this steer you away from a return visit, this is a personal invite from myself to come back and let me treat you to a evening that I can assure will be a Cena experience. My contact information is located below I am hoping to correct an unenjoyable evening.

Rick Moir
Ole Restaurant Group
502-333-0376
Cenarestaurant502@gmail.com
User

Bill Veneman

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:35 pm

East End outside of the Watterson, but not afraid to travel for good grub

by Bill Veneman » Sat Feb 07, 2015 5:47 pm

Wow, I must say that I am shocked at the review on poor service, TP. Every time I've been there, I have had nothing but stellar attention to my table and the needs thereof! Now, I will give a disclaimer here that Fernando and his family have, over the years and associations, become good friends. Rick and his staff have always, in my observations (and trust me, there have been plenty of them), been top drawer and first rate. If I have somebody comes into town and they want a totally fun, unusual and very memorable experience, I route them the Cena!

One of the beauties of the Louisville food scene is that EVERYBODY is approachable! I am honored and humbled to have many of the chefs in this city as friends, as well as many of the FOH folks! I know that if I have a problem, and I bring it to the proper attention, it will be taken care of post-haste.

Advice, Mr. Lowe....Take Rick up on his most generous offer....go back and experience it for what it is!
If life's a Banquet, what's with all the Tofu?

Cheers!

Bill V.
no avatar
User

Dan E

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Jul 21, 2010 7:35 am

by Dan E » Thu May 14, 2015 9:24 am

We dined at Cena 2 weeks ago and I left quite impressed. Service was slightly slow-paced, as it seemed that our waiter was stretched a little thin, but as one who likes a relaxed dining experience, it really did not detract from the evening.

Started with the mussels, served in a rich marinara sauce with a slight pepper heat and plenty of italian sausage. Very good, and served with a crusty, seemingly housemade bread that we used to make sure none of the marinara was wasted.

The girlfriend had a well-cooked risotto dish, light and fluffy but with just a slight toothsomeness. The mushroom/crispy pancetta combo was delicious.

I chose a decadent pork loin, wrapped in pancetta and stuffed with smoked mozz. I am not always a fan of fruit sauces, but the fig reduction on top was much needed for all of the richness. It was awesome, although I ended up taking more than half home after all of the bread and mussels.

All in all a very solid experience. We had been once before and though it decent, if unimpressive, but now I will definitely be back, particularly on Thursdays for half-priced wine
Previous