Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

CJ has two stars for Amici

User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

CJ has two stars for Amici

by Robin Garr » Thu Aug 07, 2014 8:08 am

I have to confess that Nancy's overall take on Amici is pretty much like mine. Nice little place, but not the first that comes to my mind when I'm thinking of Italian, either upscale "Northern Italian" or down-home Italian-American family cookery.

After a few weeks exposure, I think we can safely say that her voice is distinctly different from Marty's.

And I do have to wonder about her interest in decor. She's got strong opinions, and rarely finds much to like in this department. I wonder what that's about.

Link to the review:
http://www.courier-journal.com/story/en ... /13675131/
no avatar
User

BrianCurl

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Jul 28, 2014 11:11 am

Re: CJ has two stars for Amici

by BrianCurl » Thu Aug 07, 2014 9:18 am

I like her, at least she doesn't give everyone 3 or 4 stars when they aren't good. Seems Marty only went to places he liked. The average person is not going to know if they like a place if they go to try it the first or second time or they are visiting from out of town.
User

RonnieD

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Aug 23, 2007 12:09 pm

The rolling acres of Henry County

by RonnieD » Thu Aug 07, 2014 9:53 am

Her best review yet! Very well balanced. Able to dish out the coal and laurels evenly without allowing one to cloud the other. She gets a little catty, which I don't mind (unless it's directed at me... :wink: ), but at the same time doesn't make that her only method of analysis.

She's really hitting her stride now and I'm enjoying her work far more with each week.
I've not been to Amici, but I feel well informed by this review.

Robin, hush up about the decor, at least she's reviewing more than just the food!
Ronnie Dingman
Chef Consultant
The Farm
La Center, KY
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Thu Aug 07, 2014 10:28 am

RonnieD wrote:Robin, hush up about the decor, at least she's reviewing more than just the food!

Yeahyeahyeah ... :oops:
User

Suzi Bernert

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 2:08 pm

Louisville, KY

by Suzi Bernert » Thu Aug 07, 2014 12:36 pm

Did anyone but me notice that Gary's lost half a star in the side column that lists the last few reviews? I saw it on the print version online this morning and it was still that way just now. I know they got the full 4 stars, looks like an editing error. I do agree with most of her assessment of Amici, but we have never gotten cold or greasy food there. It is good, just not inspiring.
Retired from LMEMS
Co-Founder and House Mother
Berndows Enterprise
"Time to eat?"
no avatar
User

Adrian Baldwin

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 3:29 pm

Louisville, KY

by Adrian Baldwin » Fri Aug 08, 2014 11:05 am

I find it to be a cool little place...comfortable, nice open-air atmosphere & good patio.

For a rich dish, their house specialty really gets it done for me. Delicious.

[i]Penne alla Lorenzo
Old family recipe of penne pasta in a creamy Gorgonzola
cheese sauce flavored with finely minced Prosciutto and
sardines, topped off with fried green tomatoes.
Grandpa Larry's favorite. (Please, no substitutions on this family recipe.) $16.5
[/i]
User

TP Lowe

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 6:00 am

Shelby County

by TP Lowe » Sat Aug 09, 2014 8:16 am

Robin Garr wrote:I have to confess that Nancy's overall take on Amici is pretty much like mine. Nice little place, but not the first that comes to my mind when I'm thinking of Italian, either upscale "Northern Italian" or down-home Italian-American family cookery.

Agree completely. Seems like a nice neighborhood joint, but nothing special.
no avatar
User

MarieP

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:56 pm

St. Matthews

by MarieP » Sat Aug 09, 2014 10:46 pm

Adrian Baldwin wrote:I find it to be a cool little place...comfortable, nice open-air atmosphere & good patio.

For a rich dish, their house specialty really gets it done for me. Delicious.

[i]Penne alla Lorenzo
Old family recipe of penne pasta in a creamy Gorgonzola
cheese sauce flavored with finely minced Prosciutto and
sardines, topped off with fried green tomatoes.
Grandpa Larry's favorite. (Please, no substitutions on this family recipe.) $16.5
[/i]

Adrian, I went over to their menu and was just about to post this as well! Very tasty!!!
User

Steve Shade

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:53 am

by Steve Shade » Mon Aug 11, 2014 5:48 am

Suzi Bernert wrote:Did anyone but me notice that Gary's lost half a star in the side column that lists the last few reviews? I saw it on the print version online this morning and it was still that way just now. I know they got the full 4 stars, looks like an editing error.

I noticed it and emailed Ms Miller. Her response "The 3 1/2 was a misprint, It should have again been a 4. Unfortunately, I have no control over that.

Thanks so much for your email. I always love to hear readers' opinions. Look forward to hearing from you again."
"Don't accept your dog's admiration as
conclusive evidence that you are wonderful."
-- Ann Landers