Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

Atypical BBQ Visit

User

KlausThiesen

{ RANK }

Just got here

Thu Jul 31, 2014 12:42 pm

Middletown

Atypical BBQ Visit

by KlausThiesen » Tue Aug 05, 2014 11:49 pm

Visited Atypical BBQ today on St. Matthews Ave. We arrived around 3:05PM on Tuesday. I had read some yelp reviews and it sounded like a visit might be worthwhile. It's a relatively small place with three parking spots in front that are rather difficult to negotiate because backing out places you directly on St. Matthews Ave. We chose to park across the street in a rather large, mostly empty lot that had posted warning signs that unauthorized parkers would be towed away. I think this may not necessarily apply since the furniture store has moved.

Entering the restaurant, one is presented with a rather strange table arrangement/floorplan. There is a lone table on the left of a central wall that is separated from the rest of the store. The right side has a counter to order from and then beyond that eight or so tables and a glass cooler with beer resides across from the register. There was a $7.95 lunch special advertised on a sign board but we missed it by a few minutes and the cook/owner/server/worker (not sure as there was only one guy) told us he couldn't ring it up because the cash register locks it out at precisely 3:00PM. That was fine by us. However, be aware that the price of soft drinks increases from $1.00 to $2.39 at 3:00PM.

I ordered the pulled pork sandwich and a side of BBQ Beans. My friend the Sweet Caroline Pork sandwich and coleslaw. We both finished all our food and even the morsels that were left on the plates. We had a lemonade and a Sixth West IPA. Tab was $22 and change.

My impressions - great buns for the sandwiches. I think they were some form of ciabatta oval type bun. The perfect texture - not too soft and not too crisp. The pork was good, not outstanding but solid. The BBQ sauce is in four large plastic containers out of reach of the customer. The worker brings out whichever one you choose in a small cup along with the order. I chose the KC BBQ sauce and it was ok, but would prefer to have the sauces on the table in a squeeze bottle like every other BBQ place - however, these guys are atypical. The BBQ Beans were very good - a wonderful consistency, not too sweet and just the right texture for eating with a fork without spilling a drop.

Maybe it's just me, but I don't think he worker (very nice and personable) should be wearing board shorts and flip-flops while preparing and handling the food unless the restaurant is Cheese Burgers in Paradise on a Maui Beach. His physique didn't lend itself to a complimentary presentation of this ensemble.

In my opinion this place could benefit from a good clean up and reorganization of the floor plan including tables and cooks area. Spend a few bucks on fixtures, consistency and quality of display.

Overall, I'd venture back for a lunch if in the area - but wouldn't make a special trip.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Re: Atypical BBQ Visit

by Robin Garr » Wed Aug 06, 2014 7:02 am

Klaus, I'm very glad you found your way in here. I do enjoy your reviews, and I expect I'm not alone in this!
User

Carla G

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:01 am

by Carla G » Wed Aug 06, 2014 8:43 am

I thought there were health regulations in place for foot ware in a restaurant. Great review , so thanks Klaus for that. I agree about the squeeze bottle thing. Styrofoam cups seem so 'land filly'.
"She did not so much cook as assassinate food." - Storm Jameson
no avatar
User

Heather L

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:12 am

by Heather L » Wed Aug 06, 2014 10:49 am

Great review! I hope you keep them coming......

However, raising the cost of a soda from $1 to $2.39 at 3:00pm is quite a crock!!!
....And be faithful to
Local Merchants Too.
Never buy far off
What you can buy near home.....
(Wendell Berry)