Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
User

Adriel Gray

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Aug 31, 2012 2:53 pm

Louisville Slugger

Re: authentic Mexican food in Louisville

by Adriel Gray » Fri Aug 08, 2014 1:22 pm

Since you posted where to find El Molcajete online Robin, here is a quick run down of places I mentioned. Most have bi-lingual wait staff, but I can't promise that the gringo won't get some looks. Ultimately as with most ethnic neighborhood joints they are more self conscious, or curious than prejudice, and latinos are super friendly if you are open minded.

http://www.mipreferidasupermercado.com/
Here is Mi Preferida's page, but it's worthless if tus espanol es malo.

http://www.yelp.com/biz/las-gorditas-louisville
Las Gorditas

http://www.yelp.com/biz/taqueria-la-mexicana-louisville
Taqueria Mexicana 1

If you are worried about signage, you know TACO of course, and TORTA is a sandwich in the round. But PAGAR is where you pay your tab, and always put money in the jar that says PROPINAS, that means tip, not PUNTA like when you google "tip in Spanish". Punta is too close to PUTA which you don't say aloud... BANO if you need to find the john. But most health department's still require the old men's and women's signs. So no fear.

Now go forth and conquer las taquerias!
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Fri Aug 08, 2014 1:28 pm

Adriel Gray wrote:Most have bi-lingual wait staff, but I can't promise that the gringo won't get some looks. Ultimately as with most ethnic neighborhood joints they are more self conscious, or curious than prejudice, and latinos are super friendly if you are open minded.

Adriel, yes, absolutely! I am on the very same page. Here's what I wrote 11 years ago (!) in a review of La Herradura in Clarksville. I wonder if it's still around.

The proliferation of authentic Mexican taquerias that has occurred as a happy result of the region's growing Latino population poses a problem to language-impaired food lovers: How best to take advantage of an intriguing cuisine when the management speaks mostly Spanish and you speak only English?

The friendly folks at La Herradura make it simple: What they may lack in fluent English, they more than adequately make up for with friendly hospitality ... and a handy bi-lingual laminated menu at the service window that provides helpful translations. A smile, a nod, and a pointed finger go a long way toward getting you one of the more interesting and authentic Mexican meals around.

http://www.louisvillehotbytes.com/herradura.shtml
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Fri Aug 08, 2014 1:30 pm

Speaking of old stuff on HotBytes, my 2008 review of Las Gorditas, when it was new and the subject of considerable joy on the forum:

http://www.louisvillehotbytes.com/thats ... -a-gordita
User

Adriel Gray

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Aug 31, 2012 2:53 pm

Louisville Slugger

by Adriel Gray » Fri Aug 08, 2014 7:23 pm

Great stuff!
no avatar
User

Linda C

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 08, 2007 8:38 pm

by Linda C » Sat Aug 09, 2014 11:51 pm

I have never been to El Mariachi. I checked out their web site and loved the quote on the home page

. The atmosphere is nice. we specialize in the best Mexican dishes, our food is 100% authentic Mexican. ingredients in our kitchen women cooks add them know our
tradition and culture.

:lol:
no avatar
User

Mike D

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Nov 17, 2009 3:29 pm

by Mike D » Sun Aug 10, 2014 1:29 pm

I'll also jump on the El Molcajete bandwagon. We parked at Churchill Downs yesterday for the PGA and stopped by the restaurant (at 4th and Heywood) at 7:00. We took the only open table, and we may have been the only Anglos in the place. I had been there once before with friends and liked it a lot. Last night we all loved it. The complimentary salsa that was provided with chips was unusual - it had a smoky taste - and we all liked it. The four of us shared one meatless nachos, one order of shrimp tacos and two orders of fish tacos. I've tried fish tacos all over town and these (tilapia) were probably the best I've ever had. The shrimp tacos were pronounced "best ever" by one of our out-of-town guests, and we really liked the nachos also. We chased the food with a few bottles of Mexican beer (about the only adult libation offered). The decor is certainly nothing special, but who cares when the food is that good? Our server was knowledgeable and attentive. Prices are moderate. We love our neighborhood El Mundo and our almost-neighborhood Mayan Cafe, but this place is certainly worth the drive to South Louisville.
no avatar
User

jasmin.condolaimos

{ RANK }

Just got here

Sat Feb 14, 2015 1:12 am

by jasmin.condolaimos » Sat Feb 14, 2015 1:16 am

For all you EL Molcajete fans I just wanted to attach the correct Facebook page associated with El Molcajete on 4th st which has no relation to the one located on Preston Hwy.

www.facebook.com/elmolcajetelouisville
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Sat Feb 14, 2015 8:06 am

jasmin.condolaimos wrote:For all you EL Molcajete fans I just wanted to attach the correct Facebook page associated with El Molcajete on 4th st which has no relation to the one located on Preston Hwy.

http://www.facebook.com/elmolcajetelouisville

Thank you, Jasmin! El Molcajete on Fourth is one of the best!
Previous