Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
no avatar
User

ShannonMattingly

{ RANK }

Just got here

Fri Jul 25, 2014 9:03 am

authentic Mexican food in Louisville

by ShannonMattingly » Tue Aug 05, 2014 2:23 pm

Are there any authentic Mexican restaurants in town? I'm not talking about that Mexican-American (often microwaved) hybrid that's served absolutely everywhere. Somewhere like that place that was in downtown New Albany about 7 or 8 years ago? I live in the heart of taqueria-town. I'm looking for a place that either specializes in one of the regions' dishes, or showcases a few from each or several regions. Not so much a street-food-vendor in a box (although street food plays a large role in Mexican cuisine), but a place with the different soups, the meats-in-sauces dishes, fish dishes, different moles, dishes cooked with the different dried fruits common to some of the regions, some of the regional liqueurs and chocolate drinks, that kind of thing.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Re: authentic Mexican food in Louisville

by Robin Garr » Tue Aug 05, 2014 2:33 pm

Hi, Shannon, and thanks for posting! As we discussed on Facebook, probably Mayan Cafe comes closest to this description with Bruce's attentiveness to Mayan (Yucatan + Guatemala) cuisine, although he does add some delicious "chef-driven" nuances.

I agree that a lot of the little taquerias along Preston, Eastern Boulevard and, increasingly, around the Lyndon area don't really do careful regional cuisine, but you might have a look at Chapinlandia on Preston, which seems to me to be pretty faithful to Guatemalan cuisine. Also, I haven't tried it yet, but El Mariachi in the East End has popped up in a couple of recent discussions here, and it sounds well worth an exploratory visit.
User

Doug Davis

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Dec 03, 2011 10:05 pm

The Highlands

by Doug Davis » Tue Aug 05, 2014 6:52 pm

El Molcajete.

See my posted pictures in this thread- viewtopic.php?f=1&t=21521&p=161657#p161657
I eat, therefore I am.
no avatar
User

Adrian Baldwin

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 3:29 pm

Louisville, KY

by Adrian Baldwin » Wed Aug 06, 2014 11:20 am

El Molcajete is outstanding.

Reminds me somewhat of our favorite "off-the-beaten path" REAL Mexican restaurants we visit when in Playa, Cabo, etc.
User

Manuel M

{ RANK }

Just got here

Mon Oct 10, 2011 3:24 am

by Manuel M » Wed Aug 06, 2014 2:15 pm

I find El Marlin, a Mexican Seafood restaurant in off South Hurstbourne to be great. Never had a bad meal there. Sr. Taco on Bardstown Rd. was another, but it closed recently. :cry:

Also El Mariachi in Lyndon is great as well. All these places are where the local Mexican and Central American folks go to eat around here...
User

Adriel Gray

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Aug 31, 2012 2:53 pm

Louisville Slugger

by Adriel Gray » Wed Aug 06, 2014 3:52 pm

So here is my pitch for my favorite way to eat, so forgive me if it doesn't fit the topic. I LOVE taquerias, they are a staple around small rural towns in KY where I grew up. With the migrant worker boom on farms throughout the late 80's and early 90's when tobacco was still king, I would go all the time, and still do. Using what rudimentary spanish I know I can definitely order my weight in taco gold anywhere. Though they may not be truly of a particular region, they are a great part of the Central American diaspara here in Kentucky. Some even will have cool hints of the regional flavor you desire if you look right. The Mi Preferida grocery store in Eastland Shopping Center has a great little taco joint in the back. They grill peppers into crumpled sweet charred goodness. They are so sweet that the heat can really take you by surprise so approach with caution. They also have the most extras you will see in any of the local taquerias. Pico de gallo, grilled onions, even ceviche. Taqueria Mexicana I on Preston has the most diverse taco menu I have seen in town. Chicharron, la lengua, even salchicha. If you are brave enough to eat Mexican seafood they have a good Salpicon Del Marisco, and camarrones that I dig. If you really want to go all in on street food you can't get better than Las Gorditas food truck in the Eastland Shopping Center as well. And when you got nothing better to do and you want to see where I grew up and what attracted me to Mexican food as a kid, Simpsonville Flea Market has the best carne asada taco on a simple toasted El Milagro corn tortilla, and the best salsa roja in the biz.

Ok rant over. Sorry :mrgreen:

I have to second Mayan as the most like your request. I LOVE Mayan, and Chef Bruce, his brother Willy, and sister-in-law Ann are some of the best restaurateurs in town, on top of having spectacular food.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Wed Aug 06, 2014 3:56 pm

Adriel Gray wrote:Ok rant over. Sorry :mrgreen:

I loved that rant. 8)
User

Adriel Gray

{ RANK }

Foodie

Louisville Slugger

by Adriel Gray » Wed Aug 06, 2014 11:30 pm

Robin Garr wrote:
Adriel Gray wrote:Ok rant over. Sorry :mrgreen:

I loved that rant. 8)

Thanks Robin, tacos are HUGE for me. I can't get enough of them. I make weekly plans around taco consumption... :(
User

RonnieD

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Aug 23, 2007 12:09 pm

The rolling acres of Henry County

by RonnieD » Thu Aug 07, 2014 9:41 am

Bam. Adriel wins my vote for most informed post. I would follow his course.
Ronnie Dingman
Chef Consultant
The Farm
La Center, KY
User

Anthony Lamas

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Apr 26, 2007 8:41 pm

by Anthony Lamas » Thu Aug 07, 2014 12:09 pm

I have to agree with Adriel as wel, but I would put La Tropicana in there too! Being raised and growing up in California, also having a Mexican mother who is an amazing cook taught me the true flavors of Mexican cuisine! My family owned a restaurant when I was growing up called Lanasty and we took several trips across the border to eat wonderful tacos, ceviche, tortas, Moriscos, etc. There's something about having soul in Mexican food, it's kind of like good ol' Southern comfort food. All the places you mentioned capture that...and for the upscale more modern version it's Mayan Cafe! Buen Provecho!
User

Ray Griffith

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Jun 26, 2010 10:39 pm

Highlands

by Ray Griffith » Thu Aug 07, 2014 4:22 pm

Another one for El Molcajete!
User

Steve H

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Apr 17, 2008 12:27 pm

Neanderthals rock!

by Steve H » Thu Aug 07, 2014 5:02 pm

For you El Molcajete fans...

I've been a few times and had different enchilada combos, which were good. And the salsas in the squeeze bottles are good. I'm just not feeling the "wham bam" gotta go back vibe.

Based on y'all's enthusiasm, I think I need to try something else. So, what are your go to items there?
User

Ray Griffith

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Jun 26, 2010 10:39 pm

Highlands

by Ray Griffith » Thu Aug 07, 2014 9:23 pm

I'll be back for more, but so far, I've only tried these and loved every one of them;
Shrimp and octopus fajitas
Tacos (I've only had the pastor and carnitas, both great)
Tostada de ceviche
The grilled shrimp entrees
Poblano dip
Molcajeteada (below)
User

Adriel Gray

{ RANK }

Foodie

Louisville Slugger

by Adriel Gray » Fri Aug 08, 2014 12:41 pm

Ray Griffith wrote:Molcajeteada (below)

Damn... I know what I'm doing this weekend... 8)
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Fri Aug 08, 2014 12:47 pm

I don't think anybody has posted this for context, but it's probably worth having in this topic:

El Molcajete Facebook page
https://www.facebook.com/pages/El-Molca ... 6958718534
Next