Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

Sunday Night Recommendation

no avatar
User

DavidHorlander

{ RANK }

Just got here

Sat Aug 02, 2014 1:12 pm

Sunday Night Recommendation

by DavidHorlander » Sat Aug 02, 2014 1:27 pm

I have VIP guests coming in Sunday for the PGA. Need dinner recommendation for 7pm Sunday night. Steak, chicken or Italian were on their short list. They love wine. What's your top 5 for Sunday night?
no avatar
User

Nora Boyle

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Mar 03, 2007 2:24 pm

Clifton

Re: Sunday Night Recommendation

by Nora Boyle » Sat Aug 02, 2014 1:39 pm

Volare would do it!
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Sat Aug 02, 2014 1:42 pm

Nora Boyle wrote:Volare would do it!

Just what I said to David in a private conversation, Nora! My reply to him on FB inbox, before I grasped that he was talking about Sunday:

Volare (since you mentioned Italian), Rye, Proof, MilkWood, Seviche ...
Or if they really want steak, maybe Del Frisco's? Or Pat's if they want an old '70s style Louisville experience.
no avatar
User

DavidHorlander

{ RANK }

Just got here

Sat Aug 02, 2014 1:12 pm

by DavidHorlander » Sat Aug 02, 2014 1:55 pm

I appreciate the suggestion. My last visit to Volare was 2-years ago and it was OK. Nothing special. I travel to Chicago every 45-60 days and the Italian spots there have me spoiled.

Most steakhouses are closed Sunday night. It's been 20-years since I went to Del Frisco’s. Comments?

I've kicked around Jack Fry's, Corbett's and Varanese. Actually Village Anchor would work but they close at 9pm.
no avatar
User

Andrew Mellman

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:33 am

Louisville

by Andrew Mellman » Sat Aug 02, 2014 2:16 pm

Pat's would be great, but closed on Sunday. Corbett's is definitely for VIP clients/guests. Jeff Ruby's is open on Sunday, and has wonderful drinks and steaks (although it can get noisy, but less likely on a Sunday). I would go for Ruby's or Corbett's, personally.
Andrew Mellman
User

Deb Hall

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Mar 04, 2007 4:46 pm

Highlands , Louisville

by Deb Hall » Sat Aug 02, 2014 4:47 pm

If Marketplace is open, I'd go there with VIPs. Not a steakhouse, but great steak, plus fantastic Italian, and some amazing other choices ; menu changes -you can check on-line. Great vibe for customer entertaining- upscale but relaxed- not stuffy, And is it the best patio in town! :D
Deb
Last edited by Deb Hall on Sat Aug 02, 2014 5:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
User

Gayle DeM

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Apr 08, 2007 3:42 pm

by Gayle DeM » Sat Aug 02, 2014 5:13 pm

I'd go for Volare!

Steak - Josh is on the board of Cerfied Angus.

Chicken - I think the Pollo Saltimbocca is the best chicken in town, but all his chicken presentation are delicioius.

Italian - I much prefer Josh's style of Northern Italian cooking over the Italian-American Red Gravy School.
"I didn't fight my way to the top of the food chain to be a vegetarian" -Erma Bombeck
no avatar
User

Andrew Mellman

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:33 am

Louisville

by Andrew Mellman » Sat Aug 02, 2014 10:30 pm

OK, while I still like Corbett's and/or Ruby's, Deb is right about Marketplace. It's a unique vibe with wonderful food, relaxed and quiet. While just as unique as the others, it'll also save you some $$$! My only possible qualification is that if they're down on reservations they sometimes close the main dining area, and you eat in the bar (definitely not bad! just be advised)
Andrew Mellman
User

Gayle DeM

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Apr 08, 2007 3:42 pm

by Gayle DeM » Sun Aug 03, 2014 8:39 am

I agree with Deb about Marketplace, however it is closed on Sundays.
"I didn't fight my way to the top of the food chain to be a vegetarian" -Erma Bombeck