Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Are restaurant kitchens rough on women?

by Robin Garr » Fri Aug 01, 2014 7:10 am

What say you all? Truth or fiction?

If You Can't Handle The Heat: Sexism In Restaurant Kitchens

More often than not, there's some blatant misogyny going on behind the kitchen doors in your local restaurant. The hospitality industry is known to be one of experimentation and excess. This is possibly why the prevalence of substance abusers in the industry is so high.

http://groupthink.jezebel.com/if-you-ca ... +Ubertrout
User

Carla G

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:01 am

Re: Are restaurant kitchens rough on women?

by Carla G » Fri Aug 01, 2014 10:00 am

My brother worked as a drug counselor here in town back in the 70s. At that time the prevalence of drugs in restaurants was thought to be because many employees were tipped and there was a ready cash supply.
"She did not so much cook as assassinate food." - Storm Jameson
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Fri Aug 01, 2014 10:02 am

Carla G wrote:My brother worked as a drug counselor here in town back in the 70s. At that time the prevalence of drugs in restaurants was thought to be because many employees were tipped and there was a ready cash supply.

Kind of ties in with Marsha's outstanding column this week. :(
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=22206
User

RonnieD

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Aug 23, 2007 12:09 pm

The rolling acres of Henry County

by RonnieD » Fri Aug 01, 2014 10:04 am

I had the atypical experience. One of the first chefs I worked under was a woman (gasp!) and she was amazing. I wouldn't be half of where I am today without that experience, and as far as I can tell gender was no issue whatsoever. She ran the kitchen and there was no dispute. Likewise, I have worked with many exceptional female chefs and cooks and rarely have I seen a problem related to gender. I will admit I've not necessarily looked for it, nor would I be as sensitive to it as a female in the same position might be.

It is a damn shame that this kind of thing goes on in any profession.
Ronnie Dingman
Chef Consultant
The Farm
La Center, KY
User

Gary Z

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Nov 11, 2009 2:05 am

by Gary Z » Sat Aug 02, 2014 1:22 am

I don't think it's a gender thing. Restaurant people are a crass crowd. If you are too sensitive you won't make it. You either adapt or bail. I've seen both males and females quickly decide it wasn't for them. The ones with thick skin thrive. Especially the females.
User

Carla G

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:01 am

by Carla G » Sat Aug 02, 2014 9:07 am

Gary Z wrote:I don't think it's a gender thing. Restaurant people are a crass crowd. If you are too sensitive you won't make it. You either adapt or bail. I've seen both males and females quickly decide it wasn't for them. The ones with thick skin thrive. Especially the females.

I consider myself a feminist. I agree with Gary Z's post. Of all the work situations I've been in the restaurant business was the least mysogonistic. If you could do the work you were ok. AND you had the backing of your fellow crew members. We had many many strong, qualified female managers, several female kitchen supervisors and more female bartenders than any other restaurant in the city.(at that time that is. 1973) It may have been because we were a California chain and pretty much everything about it was progressive and liberal but still that was 40 years ago. Has the industry back-slid? I can't speak to the current atmosphere.
"She did not so much cook as assassinate food." - Storm Jameson
no avatar
User

Tim Y

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon May 04, 2009 2:20 pm

by Tim Y » Fri Aug 08, 2014 9:24 am

This can go both ways, the women can be "crass" as well. I have experienced an all female boh staff that just did not like men "intruders". I was talked "down to", all the time, and finally approached the situation after a couple of weeks, and told them how I felt about the way I was being treated. Things got a little better, but 2 subsequent male hires never even made it past 2 weeks, both leaving w/out notice. I stuck it out for 4 more months, ( I liked the job ) but was terminated to make room for another female. The girls are quicker to establish a clique, IMO, than men, and if you don't fit in, you are done!!! BITCHES can be just as nasty as SCHMUCKS. Like I said, it can work both ways!!!