Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
User

Suzi Bernert

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 2:08 pm

Louisville, KY

Re: CJ's got 4 stars for Gary's on Spring

by Suzi Bernert » Fri Aug 01, 2014 6:50 am

I just found out the the review was published on line on Wednesday before the print on Thursday. So they did not know in advance of publication because it was put up a day early. I read the print edition usually. I apologize for thinking that the reviewer had leaked it. It rookie mistake on my part, still not used to the digital edition of the paper putting stuff out early.
Retired from LMEMS
Co-Founder and House Mother
Berndows Enterprise
"Time to eat?"
User

Suzi Bernert

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 2:08 pm

Louisville, KY

by Suzi Bernert » Fri Aug 01, 2014 8:12 am

To expand on my previous post: I was told about the rating by someone truely excited for the restaurant. I was the one who assumed that it had been leaked. That was my error and only my error.
Retired from LMEMS
Co-Founder and House Mother
Berndows Enterprise
"Time to eat?"
User

RonnieD

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Aug 23, 2007 12:09 pm

The rolling acres of Henry County

by RonnieD » Fri Aug 01, 2014 10:09 am

If it will help, Robin, I will post these topics from now on to avoid your taking a beating over starting a topic about another reviewer.

Sheesh, people. :roll:
Ronnie Dingman
Chef Consultant
The Farm
La Center, KY
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Fri Aug 01, 2014 10:29 am

RonnieD wrote:If it will help, Robin, I will post these topics from now on to avoid your taking a beating over starting a topic about another reviewer.

I'm tough. I can take it. Anyway, those who prefer dull and boring reviews have options, after all. :mrgreen:
User

Steve P

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Sep 23, 2007 10:18 pm

by Steve P » Fri Aug 01, 2014 11:31 am

RonnieD wrote:If it will help, Robin, I will post these topics from now on to avoid your taking a beating over starting a topic about another reviewer.

Here's the deal Ronnie...I have no issues at all with forum members discussing a review as it applies to the restaurant or their personal experience with the restaurant, I don't even care if forum members voice their opinion on the style of writing. Where I have a -great- deal of heartburn is when Robin violates the journalistic professional courtesy of (in this case) repeatedly and publicly calling into question this woman's professional style and credentials through heresy and innuendo. My mother started out in the newspaper business in the 1950's...as (among other things) the dining editor. Before leaving the newspaper business she had done a good job of climbing the journalistic food chain. After leaving the paper she taught English and Journalism at a major state university...including a class titled "Ethics in Journalism". Later in life, I attended the same school, majoring in Journalism...until such a time as I realized I would never master the proper use of (among other thing) the apostrophe...So let's just say I have a bit more background and/or exposure to journalism than the average Billy on the street....and one cardinal rule is that one journalist (and in this case I use the word loosely) does not "call out" another journalists work....especially in a public forum where the second party has zero opportunity to respond.

In this particular instance what Robin (thinks) he is so clever at doing is to post some little benign topic to get things rolling wherein he then commences to throw out little zingers, rumors, innuendos, etc calling into question this woman's style and qualifications...which potentially have a chilling effect on this woman's career...Simply put, it's just a bunch of cheap shots.

I think Robin has done a yeoman's job in a couple of respects to add to the overall dining scene in Louisville but it my -personal- opinion that in this particular instance he has displayed a significant lack of professionalism...and there you have it, one man's opinion.
Stevie P...The Daddio of the Patio
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Fri Aug 01, 2014 11:46 am

Steve P wrote:In this particular instance what Robin (thinks) he is so clever at doing is to post some little benign topic to get things rolling wherein he then commences to throw out little zingers, rumors, innuendos, etc calling into question this woman's style and qualifications...which potentially have a chilling effect on this woman's career...Simply put, it's just a bunch of cheap shots.

Steve, you're thinking waaaay beyond your pay grade here, and - in MY opinion - are digging deep into some kind of sad, splenetic reservoir of broken dreams that we've all seen turn you into an increasingly angry curmudgeon over your time in the forum. You've been a good guy and a good participant, more often than not, but I honestly don't think retirement has served you well in terms of either mental health or happiness.

Don't project it on me, though, and stop trying to read between the lines. You just don't have the keen eyesight needed to do that. Just relax and drop it.
User

Carla G

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:01 am

by Carla G » Sat Aug 02, 2014 9:54 am

Perhaps it's perception. I do not remember Robin either calling out this reviewer or doubting her credentials. I viewed all of these discussions as a way to stir up interest in the new reviewer's column. She is, after, writing for a dying newspaper which has a less than stellar website to offer. I would think any outside exposure or conversation driving people to her reviews would be welcome. I also think she received some pretty valid feedback and reviews of her reviews. And from a pretty knowledgeable group of people well versed in her field of discussion. Most of it has been very positive. BTW, she does have a way to respond. All she has to do is post, just like anyone else.
Seriously, after reading some of her reviews, for anyone to think she would be helpless or thin skinned I think would be a mistake. She strikes me as a woman that can hold her own.
"She did not so much cook as assassinate food." - Storm Jameson
Previous