Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

"Marrying" in a Restaurant

User

RonnieD

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Aug 23, 2007 12:09 pm

The rolling acres of Henry County

"Marrying" in a Restaurant

by RonnieD » Wed Jul 30, 2014 3:33 pm

I have scoured the Food Code and cannot find what I am looking for (stupid legalese language) Does anyone know what the policy is (if any) regarding "marrying" and/or refilling condiment bottles like ketchup in a restaurant? I feel like it is verboten despite being prevalent.
Ronnie Dingman
Chef Consultant
The Farm
La Center, KY
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Re: "Marrying" in a Restaurant

by Robin Garr » Wed Jul 30, 2014 4:24 pm

Ronnie, this made me super-curious, so I googled, and the best I got is, "It depends." Depends on the local health codes and whether they permit it. I'd call the health department and ask, preferably with caller ID blocked. :mrgreen:

Meanwhile, I found this great article, too fun not to share. You'll be grossed out long before you get to the marrying ketchup part. :lol:
http://www.westchestermagazine.com/Blog ... -Near-You/
no avatar
User

Andrew Mellman

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:33 am

Louisville

by Andrew Mellman » Wed Jul 30, 2014 4:35 pm

As long as the condiments aren't first cousins, I see no problems in Kentucky . . .

This does, however, lead to another question concerning the legality of "master soups", sauces, whatever, that are in essence simmered for years with additional incredients added when necessary. How about sourdough mothers?
Andrew Mellman
User

Mark R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:02 pm

Anchorage, KY

by Mark R. » Wed Jul 30, 2014 6:04 pm

Andrew, in my opinion they seem like completely different issues. The master stock or sourdough mother, etc. are all kept in a controlled environment and not ever within the customers reach. They also are temperature controlled during most of their life either staying refrigerator or being heated than refrigerated in the case of the stock. I wouldn't expect this to be an issue for the health department like the marrying of bottles would be.
Written using Dragon NaturallySpeaking

"Life is short. Drink the good wine first"
no avatar
User

Andrew Mellman

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:33 am

Louisville

by Andrew Mellman » Wed Jul 30, 2014 6:14 pm

Mark R. wrote:Andrew, in my opinion they seem like completely different issues. The master stock or sourdough mother, etc. are all kept in a controlled environment and not ever within the customers reach. They also are temperature controlled during most of their life either staying refrigerator or being heated than refrigerated in the case of the stock. I wouldn't expect this to be an issue for the health department like the marrying of bottles would be.

You are right - especially with stocks - but given what governments said about cheese ripening (until knowledgeable heads prevailed), I wonder more about mothers, which are usually more "open air". Wonder if health departments really understand them.

The last few times we've been to Chicago, the restaurants did not have ketchup on the tables, but rather brought out ramekins of ketchup if/when we asked. I wonder if that is a reaction to "marrying" problems? (I'm talking about burger and hot dog places, not "fine dining")
Andrew Mellman
User

RonnieD

{ RANK }

Foodie

by RonnieD » Wed Jul 30, 2014 10:16 pm

Thanks Robin. I tried calling Metro Health, but apparently while 18 million my tax dollars can easily go toward building a verkakta ark, we can't find enough tax dollars to pay someone to answer Food Safety questions after 10am. So I'll find out first thing in the morning and report back. I figured someone here might know off hand.
Ronnie Dingman
Chef Consultant
The Farm
La Center, KY
no avatar
User

Richard S.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 1:47 pm

by Richard S. » Wed Jul 30, 2014 10:50 pm

I met my future wife when she was a hostess and I was the manager (A Shoney's restaurant in Chalmette, La.) Does that count?

On that subject, though, in those days Shoney's used a device in which you could place half-empty ketchup bottles upside down; the purpose of which was to combine those bottles into a few full ones.
User

Stephen D

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Feb 03, 2008 3:41 am

Lyndon, Ky

by Stephen D » Thu Jul 31, 2014 12:27 am

Richard S. wrote:I met my future wife when she was a hostess and I was the manager (A Shoney's restaurant in Chalmette, La.) Does that count?

On that subject, though, in those days Shoney's used a device in which you could place half-empty ketchup bottles upside down; the purpose of which was to combine those bottles into a few full ones.

I remember those!

:lol:

We never had a problem with condiments- those things have a shelf life of uranium.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Thu Jul 31, 2014 7:02 am

RonnieD wrote: I figured someone here might know off hand.

Sorry I wasn't right on the ball, Ronnie ... oddly, although the concept seems vaguely gross, the regulatory issue hadn't occurred to me before. It's been an interesting conversation, though, both here and on Facebook. :lol:

I'll look forward to getting the Official Word!
User

RonnieD

{ RANK }

Foodie

by RonnieD » Thu Jul 31, 2014 10:20 am

Just got off the phone with the Metro Health Dept. There is no regulation against "marrying" condiments or refilling condiment containers from a bulk supply. Therefore, you can (if you really want to), "marry" two bottles of catsup, or you can refill that catsup bottle with fresh catsup from a #10 can or gallon jug. The only caveat I was given was that the products being "married" or refilled must be in good quality.

So you can't have a minor leak in a hand sink that is not in a food production area, but last year's catsup and today's catsup can be joined in the same bottle as served as long as it "looks ok to me."

Ah, food safety. :lol:
Ronnie Dingman
Chef Consultant
The Farm
La Center, KY
User

Jeff Cavanaugh

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Feb 11, 2011 11:49 am

by Jeff Cavanaugh » Thu Jul 31, 2014 11:01 am

Stop expecting or wishing for government to make sense and you'll have a lot less stress in life. :lol:
User

Mark R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:02 pm

Anchorage, KY

by Mark R. » Thu Jul 31, 2014 11:02 am

RonnieD wrote:So you can't have a minor leak in a hand sink that is not in a food production area, but last year's catsup and today's catsup can be joined in the same bottle as served as long as it "looks ok to me."

Ah, food safety. :lol:

+1 None of us will ever begin to understand the ways of government! I'm sure it makes sense to somebody somehow, OK maybe not, but....
Written using Dragon NaturallySpeaking

"Life is short. Drink the good wine first"