Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
User

Charles W.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:53 pm

Schnitzelburg

Coffee Shops For Writing w/ Good Black Tea

by Charles W. » Wed Jul 30, 2014 2:56 pm

I have a very specific need and some observations to share.

I write a lot, and I find coffee houses good places to do that. Unfortunately, I don't like coffee, but love a good black tea--no Green or chamomile for me. I don't need a quiet place, but it can't be completely chaotic. So here are my thoughts on places near me. Love to hear if you have any thoughts:
1) Sunergos. Great place, but the seating is too crowded for me. Rather go there to have a chat with someone.
2) Quills Cardinal Town: I like the setting. Not sure about them giving me my tea immediately with the bag in it telling me to let it steep for 5 minutes.
3) Highland Coffee. I like the funky vibe, but just too many people for me to feel comfy parking for a few hours.
4) Heine Bros Schniztelburg. I love the India Assam (though sorry they dropped Darjeeling). Like that I can get it in a mug, have comfy seating that is not too crowded. Strip mall location not ideal, but good parking.
User

Charles W.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Schnitzelburg

Re: Coffee Shops For Writing w/ Good Black Tea

by Charles W. » Fri Aug 01, 2014 11:32 am

I guess the answer is "no." No one else writes in coffee houses while drinking black tea. I knew I was odd . . .
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Fri Aug 01, 2014 11:42 am

Charles W. wrote:I guess the answer is "no." No one else writes in coffee houses while drinking black tea. I knew I was odd . . .

It was kind of a limiting question, Charles. :lol:

I tried to think of someplace you hadn't named, but most of our Crescent Hill hangouts are crowded enough that the push might be an issue. Frankfort Heine Brothers during the slack period after lunch, maybe? Or Vint in the old Allo Spiedo? Very comfortable, especially the fireplace conversation pit, but I can't testify to crowds or their tea.
User

Charles W.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Schnitzelburg

by Charles W. » Fri Aug 01, 2014 11:44 am

Maybe I'm the expert instead of the learner on the topic . . .
no avatar
User

Heather L

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:12 am

by Heather L » Fri Aug 01, 2014 11:48 am

I love to work in the back room of Please & Thank You, but I can't attest to the quality of their hot black tea.....
....And be faithful to
Local Merchants Too.
Never buy far off
What you can buy near home.....
(Wendell Berry)
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Fri Aug 01, 2014 12:01 pm

Heather L wrote:I love to work in the back room of Please & Thank You, but I can't attest to the quality of their hot black tea.....

I can think of at least two other local writers who do that!
User

Jessica H

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Sep 26, 2007 1:25 pm

Crescent Hill

by Jessica H » Sat Aug 02, 2014 12:04 pm

Charles, you may want to come and give Sweet Surrender a try. We really only get crowded in the after dinner hours, so daytime and early evening it is very quiet in here. We also have free wi-fi. Several of our regulars spend hours in here during the quiet times.

We carry Novus Teas, which are some of my favorite, and I am a big tea drinker. We have the Kenilworth, Darjeeling, and the Sapphire Earl Grey that would all fit the bill. I am partial to the Earl Grey myself.
Jessica Haskell
Owner
Sweet Surrender Dessert Cafe
http://www.sweetsurrenderdessertcafe.com
User

Charles W.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Schnitzelburg

by Charles W. » Sat Aug 02, 2014 6:44 pm

Jessica, I can't decide if this is the greatest or worst idea ever! On the one hand . . . it sounds great. I like Novus teas as well (although Earl Grey and I do not get along. Bergamot and anise should both be banished from the flavors of the world).

On the other hand . . . hanging out for a few hours in Sweet Surrender could be a very bad thing. Temptation . . .