Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Marsha's Industry Standard: I should have asked

by Robin Garr » Wed Jul 30, 2014 9:41 am

Industry Standard: Insider info for those who dine out

I should have asked

By Marsha Lynch

I'll call him Doug in this story, since that was his name. Doug was a young man of 24, a co-worker at the restaurant where I work. He'd been hired a few months previously as a delivery driver with some other duties: light prep work, food running when not out on deliveries, expediting the pass. Not rocket science, but a job certainly requiring more brainpower than "just" being a delivery driver.

Our commercial kitchen is small. Get two drivers, four line cooks, two dishwashers and five servers in there at once, and it's a clear victory each time we avoid descending into chaos. If you're anywhere near my age, you'll remember those slidey-bit puzzles that had only one open space you had to navigate around to solve the picture. I'm often reminded of those as we go about our shift, yelling, "Behind you!" or "On your left!" and, the mother of all directives: "HOT PAN!" (automatically giving you the right-of-way; everyone else has to squeeze out of your path immediately or risk someone getting burned). My point is: When you work with someone in such tight quarters, you inevitably have lots of contact with them, physical and conversational.

I liked Doug right off the bat. He was obviously smart, with a wicked sense of humor. He told us his previous job had been at a fairly prestigious restaurant in Louisville. He didn't really explain why he no longer worked there, and I didn't ask. In the beginning, he was a great conversationalist; he knew lots about foodie stuff and nationally known chefs and fancy-pants cooking techniques - all subjects I like to talk about (note to my boss: talking while working!). We had a long discussion about professional-grade knives one day. He teased many of us hilariously after only working with us a few weeks.

After those first few weeks, though, his demeanor changed. He always seemed tired and dispirited. Folks he shared duties with complained he wasn't doing his part. He was coming off as lazy, and I hadn't thought he'd be a lazy co-worker. One day he was being so argumentative with a fellow employee that I asked him to stop being a dick. We all shook our heads. Whispers spread. "He's in recovery, you know?" Recovery from what? I didn't know. I didn't ask.

It's not unusual to brush up against somebody who's in recovery in our business. That's a true industry standard these days, and it seems to be getting worse. It's also not unusual to work with somebody who's in the stage before "recovery." Late-night hours and easy access to drugs and alcohol are a reality of the hospitality trade. Few restaurants drug-test; the old joke goes, "If you drug-test restaurant employees, you won't have any." (Please believe me, I am not advocating for widespread drug testing of hospitality workers. Tossing folks out of the job for smoking weed would be beyond ridiculous.) However, there are more sinister substances dragging our brothers and sisters down these days. It's nothing new, I guess - but it does seem more prevalent than ever, especially in Doug's age group.

On June 25, Doug didn't show for his lunch shift. Despite his lackluster performance of late, he had never pulled a no-call, no-show. A manager called and left him a voicemail; perhaps he'd misread the schedule. We didn't hear back from him. Another driver was called in to cover lunch.

A few hours later, word went up on Facebook: "Lost a great employee and genuinely good kid today to this stupid disease. RIP Doug. Gone way too soon." I burst into tears. I punched the numbers into my phone to find out the details.

By several accounts, Doug was found dead in a pile of syringes and Plasticine bags by a friend who went to check on him. Last fall, he'd completed a court-mandated drug program. One of the last photos he posted to Facebook was of a "certificate of recognition" for "successful completion of Phase III of Jefferson County, Kentucky Drug Court."

If you're keeping track, I have said "I didn't ask" twice in the paragraphs above. If you know someone's in recovery and you see obvious warning signs, throw ideas about decorum out the window and talk to them about it. They've probably shared more with complete strangers in their program and - although they might tell you to mind your own business - what if your asking keeps them alive?

I should have asked.

Marsha Lynch has worked at many Louisville independent restaurants including Limestone, Jack Fry's, Jarfi's, L&N Wine Bar and Bistro and Café Lou Lou.

Read it on LouisvilleHotBytes:
http://www.louisvillehotbytes.com/i-should-have-asked

and in LEO Weekly:
http://leoweekly.com/dining/industry-st ... ine-out-65
no avatar
User

Heather L

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:12 am

Re: Marsha's Industry Standard: I should have asked

by Heather L » Wed Jul 30, 2014 10:03 am

Sorry for the loss of yet another bright person who got caught up in the dark world of heroin. To say that heroin has come back in a huge way doesn't even begin to cover it.....it's a huge epidemic and if it hasn't affected someone close to you yet, it very well could be just a matter of time. :(

Really good article Marsha! Sorry for the loss of a smart, witty coworker.
....And be faithful to
Local Merchants Too.
Never buy far off
What you can buy near home.....
(Wendell Berry)
User

RonnieD

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Aug 23, 2007 12:09 pm

The rolling acres of Henry County

by RonnieD » Wed Jul 30, 2014 10:28 am

One of the best cooks I have ever had work under me was an unapologetic crack head. Hard worker, dedicated, energetic, and pretty sharp, but the crack had its hooks in him. Pay him Thursday (a day early) and you'd not see him Friday. We got as involved as we could, but it was to no avail and ultimately we had to let him go as his situation was making him less and less reliable and more and more dangerous to have in the kitchen. He's still out there somewhere (I see him about town) and I hope he's cleaned his act up, but there is no doubt this is a prominent problem in our profession.

Marsha is right, you might be told you mind your own business (in somewhat more colloquial terms), but it never hurts to ask. You can never go wrong being kind to someone.
Ronnie Dingman
Chef Consultant
The Farm
La Center, KY
User

Suzi Bernert

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 2:08 pm

Louisville, KY

by Suzi Bernert » Wed Jul 30, 2014 10:40 am

So sorry for your loss Marsha. Don't beat yourself up over it, we are often taught is is impolite to "nose in someone else's business." This "new" heroin epidemic is horrendous. Back in the bad old days it was bad enough, but now it is so much worse. I have been told it is stronger than it was back then, and more addictive. Friends still in the ambulance business tell me it is overwhelming the system daily. The worst part of this is it appears it is effecting the best and brightest more than ever before.

Yes, we should watch out for each other and ask. In this day of family being all over the country, FB only friends and texting, you may be the only person to ask face-to-face "are you OK?" and make all the difference.
Retired from LMEMS
Co-Founder and House Mother
Berndows Enterprise
"Time to eat?"
User

Mark R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:02 pm

Anchorage, KY

by Mark R. » Wed Jul 30, 2014 12:40 pm

As everyone else has said, so sorry for your loss. Not only was a personalized for you and for the restaurant but it sounds like it could be a loss for the entire Louisville restaurant community! It's unfortunate that cases like this are becoming more the norm these days in almost every industry, the restaurant industry is certainly not alone. Hopefully your well-written article will help prevent the same thing from happening to somebody else. :cry:
Written using Dragon NaturallySpeaking

"Life is short. Drink the good wine first"
User

Carol C

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Mar 03, 2007 9:26 pm

by Carol C » Wed Jul 30, 2014 5:56 pm

Beautiful article, Marsha! Great tribute to a life lost way too soon...
User

Carla G

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:01 am

by Carla G » Thu Jul 31, 2014 10:49 am

Marsha that was a very honest and humane article. Thank you for your insight. As others have said, don't beat yourself up for not getting more involved. Chances are good all your good intentions would have been ignored. Addicts are a difficult lot whether they be crack heads or alcoholics. I've seen addicts lie cheat and steal and endanger the lives of their children with little to no concern. Never the less, asking, "are you ok? Want to talk about it? Need some help?" is still the thing to do. All it takes is one success to make the previous failed attempts worthwhile.
"She did not so much cook as assassinate food." - Storm Jameson
no avatar
User

Heather L

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:12 am

by Heather L » Fri Aug 01, 2014 10:46 am

http://wfpl.org/post/kentucky-deaths-heroin-have-increased-27-percent-2011

Kentucky Deaths From Heroin Have Increased 27 Percent Since 2011
....And be faithful to