Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
User

Jeff Cavanaugh

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Feb 11, 2011 11:49 am

Re: Whole-Food, Plant-Based options?

by Jeff Cavanaugh » Fri Aug 01, 2014 10:59 am

Antonia L wrote:
Jeff Cavanaugh wrote:IMO, this is one of the biggest drawbacks to very particular diets (that aren't chosen because of medical necessity): they easily become a significant burden to hosts and a barrier to easy fellowship.

Or, looked at a different way, they encourage creativity in dining, trying new places, and seeing how our talented local chefs can craft a special dish based on a person's particular dietary requests. Expanding one's food horizons can inspire new conversations and introduce one to restaurants and ingredients never-before-sampled but soon added to one's list of favorites.

Oh, totally! I didn't mean what I said to reduce such diets to their problems. I know there's a lot of good in them, and I know a number of people who find them very fulfilling. I was just pointing out one inescapable drawback. Some folks are willing to live with the challenges those diets present, because they find the benefits outweigh them. For me, those challenges aren't something I'm willing to live with on a regular basis. To each his or her own.
User

Antonia L

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Sep 19, 2008 10:28 am

Cherokee Triangle

by Antonia L » Fri Aug 01, 2014 11:18 am

All that being said, a night or two out at a restaurant is one thing. Hosting someone in my home and attempting to cook according to a diet dramatically different from my own would be a challenge I may or may not be up for.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Fri Aug 01, 2014 11:40 am

Antonia L wrote:Hosting someone in my home and attempting to cook according to a diet dramatically different from my own would be a challenge I may or may not be up for.

So, there's no point in inviting ourselves over for a gluten/hormone/GMO-free ovolactoflax-free raw foods meal, then? :mrgreen:
User

Carla G

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:01 am

by Carla G » Fri Aug 01, 2014 2:16 pm

I known I am out of touch and have not even driven on Frankfort Ave (at least the further end of it ) for about - oh, a few years, but is Zen Garden still around? Surely it would fill the bill.
"She did not so much cook as assassinate food." - Storm Jameson
no avatar
User

Kari L

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Jun 12, 2009 6:11 pm

Sellersburg, IN

by Kari L » Fri Aug 01, 2014 3:21 pm

Taco Punk would also fit the bill. Their seasonal veggie mole is delicious, though I am sure it contains oil, if your guests are doing oil-free. It's easy to eat whole and real food there while eating vegan. Earth Friends is another good choice, and they do have oil-free options. On the chain front, Genghis Grill really allows everyone to get exactly what they like in their dish, cooked how they want it cooked. They are very willing to do oil free if you ask them when you give them your bowl of veggies.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Fri Aug 01, 2014 3:31 pm

Carla G wrote:I known I am out of touch and have not even driven on Frankfort Ave (at least the further end of it ) for about - oh, a few years, but is Zen Garden still around? Surely it would fill the bill.

Good point in that it's animal-free. Since Coco sold the place to a former employee, though, it's dropped off in quality quite a bit. Still okay, but a disappointment to those who remember it as it was.
User

Jay M.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 10:09 pm

by Jay M. » Fri Aug 01, 2014 6:32 pm

CarlMoore wrote:Tell your guest to stop being an asshole and eat a steak.

Lovely. I'll ask the moderator if this is what the new feature allowing FB registration has brought us?
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Fri Aug 01, 2014 8:12 pm

Jay M. wrote:

Lovely. I'll ask the moderator if this is what the new feature allowing FB registration has brought us?

Not for long. I may have to go into heavier moderator mode, though. :twisted:
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Fri Aug 01, 2014 8:12 pm

Jay M. wrote:

Not for long. I may have to go into heavier moderator mode, though. :twisted:
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Fri Aug 01, 2014 8:14 pm

Yeah, Carl, we don't play that way in this saloon. I'll ask you nicely - once - to avoid that kind of talk. Can we count on you to be civil?
no avatar
User

Jason G

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Aug 04, 2008 1:18 pm

by Jason G » Fri Aug 01, 2014 9:38 pm

I won't go as far as Carl, but seriously though i hope you are doing this out of the goodness of your heart and a desire to explore some new food options. If someone with such an exotic diet expected me to accommodate to them during their trip, I might have to ask them to find a hotel. :lol:
Previous